vivluvsme

Wiziwig - Legal? Safe?

14 posts in this topic

I have become aware of this Spanish site that appears to be able to show Sky/ESPN sports channels.

Is it legal for UK people to watch on computer?

Is it safe in terms of the computer?

Any other info on this topic appreciated too.

Edited by vivluvsme

You must have a valid TV licence to receive live signal (that's watch or record programmes as they are being broadcast) is all I know, don't know anything about accessing sky programmes. I watch a lot of iplayer but that's straight forwards!

Try Whoop TV - not posting a link but easy to Google. They showed Froch/Kessler too.

DG

Thanks but why? Is my one illegal and yours not or the more the merrier and everyone except me knows such channels are available?

As you see, i am a complete novice and just after BT start telling me I can watch lots of sport free in a few months this pops up too.

If it carries on like this, someone will soon tell me how to watch dave now I've changed from freeview to Freesat, thereby losing my favourite digital channel.

Thanks but why? Is my one illegal and yours not or the more the merrier and everyone except me knows such channels are available?

As you see, i am a complete novice and just after BT start telling me I can watch lots of sport free in a few months this pops up too.

If it carries on like this, someone will soon tell me how to watch dave now I've changed from freeview to Freesat, thereby losing my favourite digital channel.

I'd go with more the merrier :D I just know this one works that's all. What's the name of your Spanish site?

If you use Whoop you'll see some pop ups, just close the white box at the bottom then you can click the far right button for full screen. Failing that search for the "tiny" x's to close the central pop ups. A slight fiddle but you get free viewing :)

DG

The name of my one is the thread title!

I do still want to know what the deal is with such sites.

If legal, why haven't the smart geezers I mix with mentioned them as I moan on about not being able to afford Sky.

if dodgy, why haven't the smart geezers...

I do still want to know what the deal is with such sites.

If legal, why haven't the smart geezers I mix with mentioned them as I moan on about not being able to afford Sky.

if dodgy, why haven't the smart geezers...

Becoz they're smart!

But I'm smarter.

I now have Dave viewable on PC!

Mmmm, didn't think to Google that :D

DG

Edited by Diamond Geezer

Hi,

Using a website that streams content is legal. The responsibility of the content falls upon the person who hosts the website, not the person utilizing the stream. The only time there become an infraction in the law is when you either:

• Download a physical copy of a piece of media that is not defined as being free, or royalty free.
  • Upload content that is illegal, and you are aware of the fact it is illegal.
  • Replicate the content to an audience (if you have a bar, and openly share streamed media to your customers).

I refer to media, as this is regards to films, music and even images. Generally, watching a stream is fine, but always check the T&C's of the website.

-H

Thanks for that answer.

Seems very odd that it is legal but I am not complaining.

If I am on the cheapest BT Infinity tariff (not saying I am copper, just for instancing), can I meet probs by using up too much bandwidth?

EG is there a sensible time limit I should impose on myself.

BTW why didn't anyone tell me about this 5 years ago????

And not that long ago I got the expensive version of ROKU. Rubbish for my needs. Even with the films I could only recognise one title I had heard of let alone wanted to watch (mind you, was determined not to shell out for any paid-for content so...).

Edited by vivluvsme

Hi I use wiziwig all the time and have done for years, it used to be called MYp2p.com . Its very trustworthy and has a helpful Forum to boot. I use it only for sports though. I was once told on there in a simple way, it was legal to watch as it is legal for me to stand in the street and watch a bank robbery, what is illegal though is to be the actual person Sending the Tv signal across the internet, just like the person actually robbing the bank. :)

It only becomes a little greyer because peer to peer technology is often used and this means we are all "uploading". but basically only the Streamer is breaking the law, not the viewer.

On the BT broadband side of things I didnt understand this sentence

"If I am on the cheapest BT Infinity tariff (not saying I am copper, just for instancing), can I meet probs by using up too much bandwidth?"

I was on the 40gb a month with BT and when I phoned to move up to unlimited, they told me that would cost.... nothing! They have been charging me £5 for every 5 gb over the 40gb used each month for 6 months, when they were already, now offering unlimited for the same price! If it wasnt for the BT Sport giving me free footy from August I would have another look at going elsewhere. 

So it may be an idea to call them, especially if you live in an area, like I do, that is stuck with the old copper networks and no plans by BT to move to Fibre Optics. They told me it would be at least 4 years before I could get Fibre Optics in my area!

If like me you are worried about how much of your 40gb allowance is beng used by certain things like a stream then there is something on the BT site, in Your Account that gives up to date measures, but I found it useful to have the following installed too.  

NetWorx - It is a simply download that has worked flawlessly for me giving monthly, weekly, daily and even hourly readings of how much bandwidth I Ive used, plus how much at any one time by simply placing the cursor over the icon in the bottom right hand corner. It uses very little CPU too, I cant recommend it enough for keeping an eye on your allowance, but as I said, it may be BT will give you unlimited for free anyway, you just have to ask them, as the swines wont tell you. :(

Hope this all helps :)

Excellent answer, thank you very much.

I will add Networx.

I am on fibre optics but I I suspect I may be on a limit tho I will check.

You interpreted the sentence that you found I had expressed badly completely correctly.

Thanks again.

(But bet you can't tell me why the FreeeSat dish installer took down my aerial unasked, thus robbing me of YourView...)