Irgendeiner

Police Scotland Show Their Glasgow Origins?

30 posts in this topic

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/clampdown-on-brothels-as-police-scotland-raid-saunas.21288301?utm_source=headlines&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email%2Balert

(I don't know if the link will work - if it doesn't, go to www.heraldscotland.com and search!)

Edinburgh "Saunas" have been raided by 150 plod - is this the end of the relaxed approach to brothels in the capital, now that we have one police force, run by the former Strathclyde Chief Constable?

Three charged with drugs offences - that looks a key element of the story.

Also the seizure of 500k of assets ( that's about 3.3k per officer involved ) is worrying - it's unlikely that brothel takings and taking some few mobile devices would be come close toh that amount, so I'm guessing the figure is mainly ahem 'street value' of drugs seized.

No mention of charges relating to prostitution or trafficking.

It's a pretty big guess, but I'd bet this is mainly a drug story and genuine customers visiting saunas in Edinburgh and the workers there have nothing to fear ( at least for now ). I'm optimistic.

Your link worked fine Irgendeiner!

Edited by bongo

Also a shaming exercise for the punters as they were ALL interviews outside on the street

Any idea what the "health and safety issues" would be in respect of this quote from the article? 

Women and men were moved outdoors at the New Town Sauna as forensic experts carried out an investigation that encompassed health and safety issues.

Off the main topic, but I learnt from the article that Rhoda Grant is MP for the Highlands and the Islands. Anyone well informed enough to give me an idea of just how many brothels there would be in her constituency?

Off the main topic, but I learnt from the article that Rhoda Grant is MP for the Highlands and the Islands. Anyone well informed enough to give me an idea of just how many brothels there would be in her constituency?

Be careful! She was NOT elected for a constituency by voters who actually put an "X" against her name. She is a List MSP (not MP) for the Region, and gets in on second votes for "Labour", because she is high enough up Labour's List to be guaranteed a seat.

Real brothels (by which I mean, where the punter can go in and take his pick from several delights, rather than a technical, legal, brothel, where more than one ladies have offered sex to men to whom they are not married, I'd say, off hand, "NONE", but others may be better informed?

More on the same subject from the Record:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/msp-margo-macdonald-blasted-plans-1941274

Strathclyde Police were the other member of Glasgow Community & Security Services, apart from Glasgow Corporation, which runs a deceitful and sort of anonymous ant-prostitution web-site: http://www.endprostitutionnow.org/

Edited by Irgendeiner

Three charged with drugs offences - that looks a key element of the story.

Also the seizure of 500k of assets ( that's about 3.3k per officer involved ) is worrying - it's unlikely that brothel takings and taking some few mobile devices would be come close toh that amount, so I'm guessing the figure is mainly ahem 'street value' of drugs seized.

No mention of charges relating to prostitution or trafficking.

It's a pretty big guess, but I'd bet this is mainly a drug story and genuine customers visiting saunas in Edinburgh and the workers there have nothing to fear ( at least for now ). I'm optimistic.

Not necessarily drugs as an iphone costs £500 and most girls have them nowadays. plus laptops, security cameras and equipment which can cost a fortune can all add up and if one place has 7 or 8 girls in it thats £4000 straight off just from the phones alone. They can also seize girls personal phones aswell as their work phones so you could in theory wack a couple of grand on just for that alone. They can take all the girls earnings plus what they have paid to the house plus the cash they brought with them and leave only coins in the purses. Thats what they did to the mke girls when it was raided. Left them the pennies in their purses. 

If they seized phones from clients then it would add to the haul. Lots of girls now take their laptops or ipads to work with them for the quiet times and even a one camera basic but professional security system can cost up to a grand or more. Plus if the establishment is stupid enough to keep previous days or weeks or even months takings in a safe then god knows how much cash could be in there. 

I think this is disgusting personally. Making the men and women stand out in the street in full view of everyone passing by, they were attempting not only to turn the places over and seize assets but to ensure that the men and women involved would suffer enough shame to not want to revisit or work in that establishment again. 

Edited by Chloe Kisses

I think this is disgusting personally.

Glasgow Council has floated a limited company called Glasgow Community and Safety Services Ltd, which as well as providing (paid) directorships for Councillors, does a lot of what one would expect the Council to do. GCSS is, of course, a charity, which doubtless has tax advantages. The company also has "views", which, presumably, means that the activists who profitably run it (budget last time I looked, a little over £20 million quid of tax payers' money) have fashionable views, so, from their web-site:

Street Prostitution in Glasgow remains a significant issue for the City. Despite a perceived move 'off street', the number of women involved in on-street prostitution in the past year is around 300. Glasgow Community and Safety Services takes the view that prostitution is inherently harmful to those involved and therefore should not be tolerated.

Lovely isn't it? West of Scotland Labour.

Three charged with drugs offences - that looks a key element of the story.....

No mention of charges relating to prostitution or trafficking

It's a pretty big guess, but I'd bet this is mainly a drug story ..........

That's the way that I read the article.

"Three people in locations in Edinburgh and Fife have been charged with drugs offences, including supply and cultivation...........Women and men were moved outdoors at the New Town Sauna as forensic experts carried out an investigation that encompassed health and safety issues."

Time will tell if you're correct.

Chief constable at pains in local paper, to say this is not the start of a u turn, on edinburghs tolerance of saunas. 

Chief constable at pains in local paper,

That looks marginally better - you wouldn't like to identify the paper, would you? Doesn't seem to be the Edinburgh Evening News, from their web site.

That looks marginally better - you wouldn't like to identify the paper, would you? Doesn't seem to be the Edinburgh Evening News, from their web site.

Think it was the evening news, paper edition, certainly a statement from chief constable, implying raids were a one -off acting on a tip-off. 

Back to business as usual for at least one of the raided saunas according to the Herald

Edited by bongo

Chief constable at pains in local paper, to say this is not the start of a u turn, on edinburghs tolerance of saunas. 

This was in the Scotsman:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news/top-stories/police-deny-change-in-policy-over-sauna-raids-1-2968734

In the final paragraph, Assistant Chief Constable Malcolm Graham is quoted as saying:

"... our activity uncovered at least two women who reported having been trafficked, serious sexual crime, drugs offences and criminal proceeds seized.”

WTF is "serious sexual crime"???!!!!

WTF is "serious sexual crime"???!!!!

I don't know what's worse. Inarticulate police spokespersons or the media hacks that misquote them.

I don't know what's worse. Inarticulate police spokespersons or the media hacks that misquote them.

Difficult choice, indeed!

I notice in todays coverage evening news,referring to London st being raided, revenue investigators are involved, plenty of work for them anyway.

You have to give slight praise for journalists who have to write articles like this about pooter's raid - the police appear to have given the journalist nothing to work with at all apart from 'we visited the brothel' 'we were there two hours' and 'there's been no change in policy'.

So given the lack of help on details from plod, the journo has uncovered something else that is interesting which most probably didn't know which is that large numbers of brothel owners don't have to delcare accounts.

Mmm, no change in policy - I want to believe it and still do, but skeptics will be wondering

So given the lack of help on details from plod, the journo has uncovered something else that is interesting which most probably didn't know which is that large numbers of brothel owners don't have to delcare accounts.

This is a curious one (VMT for the link!) - "Records show that 11 of the 13 saunas have “unincorporated” companies registered at their addresses, none of which need to lodge accounts at Companies House."

What on earth does this mean? What "records"? Companies are itso fatso incorporated! "Unlimited Companies", which do certainly exist, although they are rare today, don't have to file much in the way of accounts. "Unincorporated Associations"  like most local clubs and societies aren't companies, and don't file accounts at Companies House either, but they would NOT be a suitable vehicle to run a brothel. I'm left with a good old partnership, which can be referred to as a "firm", but never as a company, and trad partnerships don't file accounts publicly, although they most certainly do need to file partnership returns with HMRC, as well as each partner filing his/her own personal self assessment return. I'm puzzled, but does it matter that I can't download the accounts? Not, unless I'm proposing to do commercial business with the firm, when I want to be satisfied that they'll be able to pay for the new jacuzzi or whatever.

I imagine its the girls who have more to worry about, while some pay tax, they are registered as self-employed nannies and other fictions, some are even claiming benefits, the majority of the ryan-air hookers arent on the radar at all. some girls are moonlighting from regular work.

And Glasgow shows that it isn't fit for purpose!

Police and Fire Reform (Scotland) Act 2012 (asp 8)

The Bill for this Act of the Scottish Parliament was passed by the Parliament on 27th June
2012 and received Royal Assent on 7th August 2012

So, it was clear to anyone who could read, or even listen to Radio Scotland from 27th June last year that we were going to get a new centralised Police force.

Glasgow Council had set up a series of ALEO's (Arms Length Organisations) to carry out various council functions, under the garb of a charitable company, and, also, it rather seems, to provide paid positions as Directors to Councillors, and their political friends. There were press reports of "fact finding missions", all expenses paid, to distant destinations, which entirely coincidentally coincided with important football matches...

The ALEO that exasperates me particularly is Glasgow Community and Safety Services, a Company Limited by Guarantee that has only two members, namely Glasgow Council, and the Strathclyde Joint Police Board. The Police Board nominated as a Director an Assistant Chief Constable. It was GCSS that set up the mendacious website www.endprostitutionnow.org

So, from nigh on a year ago, it was known that the Strathclyde Joint Board was going to be abolished, but nothing, it seems, was done. In response, I flatter myself, to a FOI demand that I made, I have today received the following:

From 1st April 2013, with the emergence of the Police Scotland and the Scottish Police Authority (SPA) the membership of Strathclyde Police Authority will be under negotiation in line with the new policing structure.  This process will commence from 1st April and continue until July 2013.   In the interim, elected representatives from the former Strathclyde Joint Police Board will continue on the Board reporting to the SPA as appropriate.

Of course, there never were any "elected representatives", but Directors appointed, but, I hope you get my point that these berks aren't fit to ride a bicycle, let alone end prostitution, yet, of course, both GCSS/Glasgow Council  and Endprostitutionnow have sent separate responses to Rhoda....

And any prat who votes next year for independance will only have him/her self to blame if the whole thing hits the rocks with a bang!

At one level, I think this is GOOD NEWS as it means the 500k 'seized' in the raids was mainly art work - so hopefully it means there were very few seizures of cash from WGs or of their mobile devices. It could also mean that illegal drugs were not seized in any quantity, which would imply to some extent that licensed saunas serve to break the links between prostitution and illegal drugs.

It also shows good investigative journalism ( cheers for the link toxical ) as I don't think anyone would have guessed the art connection in the 500k quoted in the initial story.

On the other hand, plod is still claiming to have found forced trafficking - which is v. serious if proven true in an Edinburgh sauna, with its implications for both the owners, traffickers and punters, and we'll have to wait to see if charges are brought or if this was just talk.

On the other hand, plod is still claiming to have found forced trafficking - which is v. serious if proven true in an Edinburgh sauna, with its implications for both the owners, traffickers and punters, and we'll have to wait to see if charges are brought or if this was just talk.

It seems pretty unlikely to me, so I really hope it IS a fabrication.

Also, if the trafficking isn't the "serious sexual crime" referred to, I can only think that an under-age WG is the other possibility.

I was told a few years back by a sauna girl I knew quite well that this HAS happened before ... and if so this time it will also be very bad news!