Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coventrypunter

Female Genital Mutilation

31 posts in this topic

One again this vile abusive practice is on the news again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22880152

One could ask why our authorities here in the UK have failed to act on this.  Indeed there has not been a single case brought to court.

IMHO parents who allow this to happen to their children deserve a long time in Jail.

Far too many illegal practices are allowed to go on in Britain for fear of being culturally insensitive, Britain is now waking up to this.

I want to know why in certain places in the UK they are allowing certain communities to get away with beating their wives and our law not stepping in and stopping it rather than allowing them to deal with it within their community behind closed doors. Which of course it does not as it is ok within their communities to get away with wife beating as it is even promoted within their religion.

At the risk of being "done" for going OT, I blame Blair & Co's "multi-culturalism", which, while it may have won votes, apparently holds that whatever your cultural norms are, they are OK here, and welcome!  The UK is a liberal democratic English speaking country in western Europe, with all that that entails. If you want to come here, you need to generally conform to our ways, and most certainly learn our language in just the same way that we conform when we visit other countries.

The Selfridges robbery the other day is a case in point - go in in burka, and no one says "boo", until you wield the axe, of course, but if I'd gone in with my mates, all of us in leathers and full face helmets, I'm sure we'd have been stopped! I trust that London shops will start to say, "No burkas!"

Our law has prohibited wounding and inflicting actual bodily harm for centuries. Why we needed to separately prohibit female genital mutilation (but, apparently then do nothing about it) is well beyond me.

We need to say no to burkas to protect their woman, why do you think they are forced to wear them? Of course I do not know this for sure but I would put money on it being to hide beatings and under aged brides.

Personally I would like to see male genital mutilation (aka circumcision) outlawed as well.

Personally I would like to see male genital mutilation (aka circumcision) outlawed as well.

Thats right. but when there is a proven medical need then it should be OK.

Yes. I would like to see the UK follow what Cologne in Germany did not too long ago. They declared the practice barbaric and made it illegal for baby boys to be circumcized unless it was medically necessary. But adult men there can still have it done if they wish.

Last Nov in Manchester a baby blod bled to death after being circumcized. It was done for religious reasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-20503660

Yes. I would like to see the UK follow what Cologne in Germany did not too long ago. They declared the practice barbaric and made it illegal for baby boys to be circumcized unless it was medically necessary. But adult men there can still have it done if they wish.

Last Nov in Manchester a baby blod bled to death after being circumcized. It was done for religious reasons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-20503660

i did start a thread on this before.

http://www.punternet.com/forum/index.php/topic/25589-circumcision-religeous-freedom-or-child-abuse/?hl=circumcision

but its a topic that needs airing again.

Interesting. Does that mean the Bar Mitzvah has to be postponed as well in Cologne?

I quite agree on both points but from what I understand curcumcision is performed far less nowadays than is was in say the 1950's.

(excluding religious reasons). 

Well its coming up to the summer holidays when lord knows how many poor young girls will either be flown back to their home countries to be mutilated or some evil old crone will be flown into this country ready to perform mass female genital mutilation as apparently they have twigged on its cheaper that way. 

The reason its mostly done to girls who live in this country during the summer holidays is because they have to have their knees tied together for a few weeks then after that it still takes more weeks to heal enough to walk properly...wouldnt want mummy nabbed at the airport for a little thing like genital mutilation would we.

What really gets my groat is that its not even a religious duty, not that it would make it any better if it was, its just an ancient cultural tradition so that the guy can ensure his bride is a bloody virgin as girls who dont go through this procedure will not be able to get a husband!!!

Why dont all the mothers of one village get together and rise up agains this rather than being the ones who instigate it and then actually celebrate it afterwards whilst the girl is crying her eyes out in agony.

Why dont the guys refuse to marry a cut girl, that would soon put a stop to it. What kind of man marrys a girl who he knows is sewn up so tight that he may have to take a knife to her vagina to cut an opening big enough to stuff his cock in it on the wedding night!!! 

Social services need to be on the look out for this kind of thing and not do their usual wishy washy bullshit "oh we have to be culturally sensitive". I dont know how a stop could be put to it without infringing on peoples human rights though to be honest when it comes to a toss up between a young girls human right to keep her fanny intact and the mothers right to a virgin/married daughter I know which one I really dont give a toss about.

This link comes with a warning as its very very very grim indeed.

Edited by Chloe Kisses

I've got 3 daughters, now all adults. The thought of anyone doing this to any of my children - or, indeed, any children at all - angers and disgusts me beyond belief. FWIW, I'm also against circumcision of male children, although that's obviously much less traumatic. FGM is violent child abuse; perpetrators should prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The longer it's allowed to go on, the more acceptable it seems to be.

I've got 3 daughters, now all adults. The thought of anyone doing this to any of my children - or, indeed, any children at all - angers and disgusts me beyond belief. FWIW, I'm also against circumcision of male children, although that's obviously much less traumatic. FGM is violent child abuse; perpetrators should prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The longer it's allowed to go on, the more acceptable it seems to be.

not to me it fucking isnt :)

My boys were muslim by birth (fathers side) and even we didnt get them circumcised. Their dad was kind of forgotten about at bit so it wasnt done till he was 8 I think so remembers his circumcision in gory technicolour. There was absolutely no way in hell he was going to inflict that on his kids. 

Edited by Chloe Kisses

im bumping this simply because its such an important issue especially now at this time of year

im bumping this simply because its such an important issue especially now at this time of year

This is a subject that needs to be discussed everywhere.  It should not be brushed under the carpet. I have written to my MP about this. I call upon PN members to do likewise.

I understand that there have been no prosecutions under the Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003 (Prohibition of Female Genital Mutilation (Scotland) Act 2005 in Scottland)

I think plod, social services and the health profession should be called to account on this.  I am fearful that workers have been afraid to act against FGM because such a course of action would be seen as 'racist', or that it may cause 'offence' to some ethnic group.  If so, then those workers need an almighty kick up the arse.

Edited by Coventrypunter

This is a subject that needs to be discussed everywhere.  It should not be brushed under the carpet. I have written to my MP about this. I call upon PN members to do likewise.

I understand that there have been no prosecutions under the Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003 (Prohibition of Female Genital Mutilation (Scotland) Act 2005 in Scottland)

I think plod, social services and the health profession should be called to account on this.  I am fearful that workers have been afraid to act against FGM because such a course of action would be seen as 'racist', or that it may cause 'offence' to some ethnic group.  If so, then those workers need an almighty kick up the arse.

Guess fear of racism trumps blatent sexism in this case as far as our legal system and social services system is concerned..

One again this vile abusive practice is on the news again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22880152

One could ask why our authorities here in the UK have failed to act on this.  Indeed there has not been a single case brought to court.

IMHO parents who allow this to happen to their children deserve a long time in Jail.

Such parents arent civilised people and live to the religious nonsense some religious types preach, or the parents are plain stupid. Such practices should be prosecuted immediately without this PC crap thats let Asian men get away with abusing young girls for years.

Time for this country to grow a pair and actually do something instead of just talking about it. I totally disagree with cutting a male childs cock for religious reasons to, let them decide as adults if they wish to have it done.

Time for this country to grow a pair and actually do something instead of just talking about it. I totally disagree with cutting a male childs cock for religious reasons to, let them decide as adults if they wish to have it done.

Absolutely.

Aside from religon, common arguments in favour of male circumcision include extra hygiene. Personally I would prefer to continue spending the 30 seconds to clean under my foreskin every day than have the foreskin cut off. I find that argument a little offensive it's almost like saying men need body parts chopped off because they are too lazy/dirty to clean them.

Another argument is removal of the foreskin will reduce STI transmission and reduce the chance of giving a woman risk of cervical cancer because of smegma. Isn't this partly what condoms are for? This argument can actually be dangerous if it gives circumcised men a false sense of security. If a man has an STI then he still needs to use a condom regardless if he is circumcised or not.

Removal of the foreskin also means less pleasure from sex/masturbation since 1000s of nerves are being removed. The head of the penis also becomes less sensitive after years of rubbing against the fabric of underwear instead of being lubircated by the foreskin. It used to be encouraged in the past because it reduces masturbation in boys.

There are also various complications some lasting a lifetime such as painful erections etc. And in some cases it can cause uncessary death.

Aside from religon, common arguments in favour of male circumcision include extra hygiene. Personally I would prefer to continue spending the 30 seconds to clean under my foreskin every day than have the foreskin cut off. I find that argument a little offensive it's almost like saying men need body parts chopped off because they are too lazy/dirty to clean them.

Another argument is removal of the foreskin will reduce STI transmission and reduce the chance of giving a woman risk of cervical cancer because of smegma. Isn't this partly what condoms are for? This argument can actually be dangerous if it gives circumcised men a false sense of security. If a man has an STI then he still needs to use a condom regardless if he is circumcised or not.

Removal of the foreskin also means less pleasure from sex/masturbation since 1000s of nerves are being removed. The head of the penis also becomes less sensitive after years of rubbing against the fabric of underwear instead of being lubircated by the foreskin. It used to be encouraged in the past because it reduces masturbation in boys.

There are also various complications some lasting a lifetime such as painful erections etc. And in some cases it can cause uncessary death.

Even if the arguments you cite are valid, surely males could be left till they are adults and if they want to be circumcised, then have it done then.

Even if the arguments you cite are valid, surely males could be left till they are adults and if they want to be circumcised, then have it done then.

Exactly, as an adult they are then making an informed choice, as a child their parents are making the decision for them, for their own reasons, be it religious or whatever. Obviously if its for a proven medical reason then thats different. Mutilating a child for a non medical reason i find barbaric personally. I would of been ashamed to have ever had such a thought cross my mind when my son was a child, let alone actually had him mutilated.

Exactly, as an adult they are then making an informed choice, as a child their parents are making the decision for them, for their own reasons, be it religious or whatever. Obviously if its for a proven medical reason then thats different. Mutilating a child for a non medical reason i find barbaric personally. I would of been ashamed to have ever had such a thought cross my mind when my son was a child, let alone actually had him mutilated.

Yes.  Male infant circumcision is wrong.

but Female mutilation is, IMHO, on a different plane altogether. And is already illegal in the UK.  When I read the details I felt nauseated.  I remember seeing my kids and my grandkids when changing nappies.  How could anyone want to cut them there with broken bottles.Then they need cutting again so they can have intercourse when they are married.

Sorry to rant on about this.

Yes.  Male infant circumcision is wrong.

but Female mutilation is, IMHO, on a different plane altogether. And is already illegal in the UK.  When I read the details I felt nauseated.  I remember seeing my kids and my grandkids when changing nappies.  How could anyone want to cut them there with broken bottles.Then they need cutting again so they can have intercourse when they are married.

Sorry to rant on about this.

And i most certainly agree with you, its disgusting and such people found guilty should be given severe sentences. Plod should get off their PC backsides and get nicking such people.

I find that argument a little offensive it's almost like saying men need body parts chopped off because they are too lazy/dirty to clean them.

I think some of the girls here could tell stories showing that your "offense" is misplaced as many men do fit that criteria :ph34r: