gibbs

Validating

16 posts in this topic

Very short question and probably asked before but what's the difference between "validating" and "new users"?

Er, in what context?

Not certain I'm right but:

A new user is the non-formal term used in the section in the rules/FAQs on probationers so it equates to probationer.

Validating does not, as far as I can see, mentioned in rules/FAQs but presumably could be the occasion when a probationer status is changed to full member status and can then see all the forums and go into the chat room.

I was looking up to see if a lady that I had met called Kate was on Pnet and noticed that some Kates were indicated as "new users" and some as "validating" and wondered what was the difference?

I just looked at those brought up by 'kat' and then looked at the first 8 pages starting from the beginning.

Amazed how many new users there are that never more than just a few times.

But I didn't see any validating.

I hadn't realised the list of members showed that and I cannot think what validating means as if it is the tech process of pressing a button to chnage the status you would have to be quick to catch one undergoing that process.

I guess new user is someone who has just signed in and possible someone validating is currently in pre-mod having started to post?

I guess new user is someone who has just signed in and possible someone validating is currently in pre-mod having started to post?

The person who has just started to post is listed as new user in the list of members.

So validating must be something else but surprised a mod hasn't been at enough of a loose end to help out.

must be something else taking people's attention- any idea if there's a hot debate somewhere here, Chloe??

Could it be that they have not yet validated their email address after starting an account?

not a clue, don't see anything in the Mod control panel.....

I just looked at those brought up by 'kat' and then looked at the first 8 pages starting from the beginning.

Amazed how many new users there are that never more than just a few times.

But I didn't see any validating.

I hadn't realised the list of members showed that and I cannot think what validating means as if it is the tech process of pressing a button to chnage the status you would have to be quick to catch one undergoing that process.

If you search "Kate" you will find quite a lot of names some "new users" and some "validating".

Well I put Kat not Kate last time to get a bigger sample but no validating.

I did the first 8 pages from the very top last time to get an even bigger sample and no validating.

This time I searched Kate and only got 4 responses. I added female to the criteria (no idea why) and got 0...

I then went through K in its entirety and saw only new users and members and no validating.

Might not finding any validating be because it is only accessible by people who have upgraded from Windows 95?

I've just searched members for Kate and on the first page there are 19 entries showing variations of "kate".

The very first entry is ...........Ekaterina47210 joined 24th May 2013 @ 01.37 validating. 0 posts ...........

I'm on Windows 7 but I would have thought that it would not matter what you were on.

I'm on Windows 7 but I would have thought that it would not matter what you were on.

I am intrigued now but I have been of no use to you, I realise.

I was just joking about me having an antiquated OS and that's was why I was getting such unsuccessful results.

It is the stage between joining and clicking the link in the sent email to validate the email is correct.

Edited by WykeTyke

Thank you - sounds obvious once you say it.

The truth is out there.............abd has been found at last. Thank you Wyke Tyke. Now we move on to why it's 42 and not some other number. V