Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lynn

Fibre Optic Broadband

29 posts in this topic

I am changing over to FO shortly and wonder who can confirm it is indeed noticeably faster and more efficient.

I hate change. Am not paying any more than I am already though so hopefully the good deal will be worth it

I've had the FTTC FO upgrade. It all depends on your equipment - I found I had to upgrade my 3 year old wireless card and home plug adapters to get anywhere like half the speed coming into the router. I get the full speed (80mbps) at the router if I use a LAN cable but that's not the point if you have a lappy, netbook or tablet. Basically it's slowed down massively by wifi or home plugs. I still experience buffering with iplayer on wifi with the higher speed card, but that goes away if I cable up. So if your pc or laptop is wired in directly to the router, with a short line you will see a difference but if you already have reasonable broadband. I found generall it's not the blinding flash of light the adverts would lead you to believe.

Edited by Strawberry

I'd be interested to know how you got it without paying any more? I have a good deal on broadband and calls at the moment with Orange; the other night I was called by EE and offered an upgrade to FO which I declined as it involved another £14 per month.

I have heard from those I know who have it that it is noticeably much faster.

Well, I'm a distance from the exchange so only got 5Mbit/sec on ADSL2. I switched to Fibre to the Cabinet and now get 50Mbit/sec My costs rose by just £1/month so I'm more than happy.

I'd be interested to know how you got it without paying any more? I have a good deal on broadband and calls at the moment with Orange; the other night I was called by EE and offered an upgrade to FO which I declined as it involved another £14 per month.

BT were offering a free upgrade in my area to people on my package, nothing to pay apart from a few pounds postage for the new router. Most annoying thing was having to be there for 3 hours whilst they got it connected, it can take just 20 minutes I'm told but they just cannot tell until they start the job.

The Telcos guarantee an estimated speed up to their termination point which could be the Telco provided router, or the end of their cable, they have always been pretty clear about this.

The rest i.e. wireless link/ router, wired cables, switches, cards is up to you obviously as they have no control over your equipment.

I think people are confused by this and the installation  guys from BT/Virgin who did mine told me it's the bane of their existence having to explain to people that the duty of the ISP is to provide the required service to the  residence. Routers, laptops, cables impenetrable walls, wifi range issues are the part of your home network and it is the home dwellers responsibility to sort this stuff out as was always the case. Obviously an ISP has no control over a persons equipment/ budget /or home arrangements.

In most cases upgrades are worth it in my experience of Virgin and BT. I would avoid any type of capped service if you use streaming TV or Iplayer etc.

You should also note that  speed as always depends on the network constraints and demand. If  everyone wants to stream the World Cup in HD then its unlikely you'll get anywhere near 50Mb/s.

Edited by willsmith

The Telcos guarantee an estimated speed up to their termination point which could be the Telco provided router, or the end of their cable, they have always been pretty clear about this.

The rest i.e. wireless link/ router, wired cables, switches, cards is up to you obviously as they have no control over your equipment.

I think people are confused by this and the installation  guys from BT/Virgin who did mine told me it's the bane of their existence having to explain to people that the duty of the ISP is to provide the required service to the  residence. Routers, laptops, cables impenetrable walls, wifi range issues are the part of your home network and it is the home dwellers responsibility to sort this stuff out as was always the case. Obviously an ISP has no control over a persons equipment/ budget /or home arrangements.

In most cases upgrades are worth it in my experience of Virgin and BT. I would avoid any type of capped service if you use streaming TV or Iplayer etc.

You should also note that  speed as always depends on the network constraints and demand. If  everyone wants to stream the World Cup in HD then its unlikely you'll get anywhere near 50Mb/s.

Accept this completely, it's just that some people in some rural areas focus in on it as the be all and end all, and I think they are going to be surprised. Sure it's a a big improvement but politicians are using it as vote scorer/PR thing which has gotten my back up a little bit.

Had it for a couple of months now - I'm in a rural area so our download speed has jumped from around 2.5Mbits to 40; however, in my experience it makes no noticeable difference to general web browsing, but a huge difference to big downloads. Podcasts come in in seconds, an album from iTunes in 1-2 minutes. Much less likely to get any buffering on iPlayer too.

I made it clear to the phone salesperson that not only was I against paying more.... but that my friend has the same deal as my current one  for her landline and calls/broadband with Orange/EE and pays £6 less than me a month (she does not have FO either)

They told me this may be due to the area she is in........... which I thought was a load of twaddle.

I was told that as i was already an Orange/EE customer the upgrade will be approx. £1 more per month.... with no other extra costs.... so I am not quibbling over a £1

My mobile contract is with T Mob.... also now EE and is a good deal which I am not changing.

My BRIGHT BOX  :)  is on it's way and I have been assured the engineer will do everything to set me up in a couple of weeks time.

My internet connection has been a little slow for some time so any improvement is welcome.

I made it clear to the phone salesperson that not only was I against paying more.... but that my friend has the same deal as my current one  for her landline and calls/broadband with Orange/EE and pays £6 less than me a month (she does not have FO either)

They told me this may be due to the area she is in........... which I thought was a load of twaddle.

I was told that as i was already an Orange/EE customer the upgrade will be approx. £1 more per month.... with no other extra costs.... so I am not quibbling over a £1

My mobile contract is with T Mob.... also now EE and is a good deal which I am not changing.

My BRIGHT BOX  :)  is on it's way and I have been assured the engineer will do everything to set me up in a couple of weeks time.

My internet connection has been a little slow for some time so any improvement is welcome.

Lynn, its probably to late to mention, (as your BrightBox already on the way), but if you sign through Quidco, to EE FO, you would get £100 cash back.

I don't know what they will charge you now per month, but only  assuming you will pay £22 per month for FO broadband for year contract, and the phone line :£14. ( I don't know with whom your landline with, but its easy enough to switch).

Still: FO contract is £22 per month ( unlimited upto 40MBs, which is more then enough for you) for 12 months, which is £262 per year. Then minus £100 cash back, so effectively its £13.50 per month. Then after a year you can cancel and go with somebody else. Another cash back, another half price, another router (you can sell the previous ones Ebay), and maybe some shops Vouchers. Loyalty does not get rewarded unfortunately with this joints. (unlike in our industry ;-)). I am changing my internet provider every year.

You still can cancel, and order EE FO from the link to Quidco I provided above, at least you will save £100. They not going to pay it straight away, but usually in the matter of the next 3-4 months.

Edited by Xenia

Still: FO contract is £22 per month ( unlimited upto 40MBs, which is more then enough for you) for 12 months, which is £262 per year. Then minus £100 cash back, so effectively its £13.50 per month.

If you are going to pay less then £13.50 per month then my post does not apply.

If you are going to pay less then £13.50 per month then my post does not apply.

My new package is £29 a month which includes FO bb and my landline plus the usual evening and weekend free calls etc etc.

I am already with EE so am just rolling on as an updated customer..... for want of a better expression.

The contract is for 18mnths.

Edited by Lynn

Reading this thread I ran speedtest.net on my mobile, Samsung Galaxy on android, achieved 493 kpbs, just wondered how this compares?

Then a 2nd test 2 minutes later I get 800kpbs...3rd test 1.85 Mbps lol

At home I get 17Mbps - 20Mbps thru' BT, ADSL, but I'm 400 yds from the exchange  :)

Edited by ACHOOSYGUY

My new package is £29 a month which includes FO bb and my landline plus the usual evening and weekend free calls etc etc.

I am already with EE so am just rolling on as an updated customer..... for want of a better expression.

The contract is for 18mnths.

Sounds like a fair deal if its included landline and free eve/weekend calls. However you stuck with them for another 18 months, where if you could cancel and go with BT/Virgin/Sky/Talktalk you would get much better deal..at least for a first year/ 18months. Then you can cancel again and get advantage as a "new costumer" with somebody else, as well as cashback.

Fibre Optic is generally much better than ADSL, as it's less susceptible to interference. This only applies to the point where the FO line enters your house, after this point it entirely depends on the equipment that you have.

I would recommend remembering that usually even FO is asynchronous, which means that you have less upload than download, generally this won't make a huge impact unless you are streaming films/music, or if you have a high number of devices on the same access point.

With FO, I would really recommend investing in a decent router. I use a Asus RT-N56u, which is an amazing piece of kit for less than £100.

My apartment has solid walls, and when I'm in my office (router is on the other side of the apartment), I'm getting 22-24 Meg constantly, from a 25 meg connection.

Just a thought,

-H

With FO, I would really recommend investing in a decent router. I use a Asus RT-N56u, which is an amazing piece of kit for less than £100.

Fascinating stuff, thanks - how do you think the standard BT kit stacks up performance-wise?

Fascinating stuff, thanks - how do you think the standard BT kit stacks up performance-wise?

I recently signed up to BT Infinity & they came & installed the new home hub 4 router (free), it works a dream, super fast download, streaming & general browsing .... no need to splash out on a different router ( I would avoid the capped usage, pay a few pounds extra & go for unlimited).

Just info for anyone who needs / would like to know more look up thinkbroadband as its my far the best site for real info on this stuff.There is so much wrong info on BB its not funny.

Your upload quality and speed can only really be judged by your usage. For every day domestic use, streaming videos, browsing the web, gaming, etc... 5.00M upload is fine, you currently don't need much more than 2.00M up, to be honest.

Personally, I've never touched the standard BT stuff, however, a friend of mine who's also in industry says that his wired connection and stability are superb, but the range on the router is not brilliant (He also didn't say it was terrible!).

My fibre optic  thingy is up and running and all is fine.

I haven't downloaded any tunes yet but so far I can see a tiny improvement in general speed.

At least I won't have the callers constantly tempting me to join up any more.  :rolleyes: 

My fibre optic  thingy is up and running and all is fine.

I haven't downloaded any tunes yet but so far I can see a tiny improvement in general speed.

At least I won't have the callers constantly tempting me to join up any more.  :rolleyes: 

Are you hardwired into the router?

My experience even wired in is that you don't notice the difference when generally browsing, the difference comes when watching iplayer or downloading things. Since I do most of this some distance from the router, and via wifi/home plug set up I still get the same buffering. Last night I had to restart a radio programme 3 times accesing via laptop on wifi. Sure I could trail a wire around the place, but it would have to be along one, and that isn't quite the point but I just put up with it.