Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bottom liner

An Experiment In Legalisation, From History

4 posts in this topic

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/history/2013/07/the-curious-case-of-nashvilles-frail-sisterhood/?src=longreads

Number of inferences that can be drawn from this:

If you take away the existing service providers, other women replace them to meet the demand.

The experiment made things better for both the customers and the girls.

One of the things the current generation of abolitionists don't get is that, if you do manage to reduce the demand, the supply does not necessarily drop to a similarly lower level, because the assumption that price is inelastic is fallacious. What would happen is that the supply would stay the same, and the price would fall, as it is chasing lower demand, so the girls earn less and are simultaneously exposed to more danger.

Sexual exchange is more like barter and as such fits better with Sayles economic principles rather than Keynes. consequently you can expect the availability of supply to create demand. If the demand for sexual services is uniform then why do sexual behaviour surveys show more men in London use Wgs ? 

Not sure who Sayles is Inna, and see this as not a Keynsian issue so much as simple microeconomics. Yes, supply of an attractive product or service should create demand, subject to price.

What survey is this that shows the demand is geographically lumpy? If it is accurate I would suspect that the higher incomes of the SE are the reason for higher demand there.

TBH I'm not sure what point you are making.

Not sure who Sayles is Inna, and see this as not a Keynsian issue so much as simple microeconomics. Yes, supply of an attractive product or service should create demand, subject to price.

What survey is this that shows the demand is geographically lumpy? If it is accurate I would suspect that the higher incomes of the SE are the reason for higher demand there.

TBH I'm not sure what point you are making.

What I am trying to suggest is that prostitution is a sexual barter that in many ways simulates the sexual exchange between partners, as such the availability of supply creates demand.

This is the antithesis of the supposed "demand" of men for sexual access to women that is usually offered as explaining the prostitution economy.