Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarcoPolo

Controlled for gain... again

9 posts in this topic

A fairly balanced piece from The Times:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article6922035.ece

But look, all the journos are still saying the new law is about "controlled for gain" without noting the change to "paying for sexual services of a prostitute subjected to force etc."

Says the writer: "The legal definition of 'controlled for gain' means that a man can be prosecuted simply for paying for a woman who works with an accomplice."

This misconception has really gained traction, which is no doubt what Jacqui wanted in the first place.

Says the writer: "The legal definition of 'controlled for gain' means that a man can be prosecuted simply for paying for a woman who works with an accomplice."

I wonder where the writer obtained "The legal definition of 'controlled for gain'" from? Certainly not from the relevant legislation as there is not a single explanatory note or guidance on the subject of "control/controlling/controlled".

A fairly balanced piece from The Times:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article6922035.ece

But look, all the journos are still saying the new law is about "controlled for gain" without noting the change to "paying for sexual services of a prostitute subjected to force etc."

This misconception has really gained traction, which is no doubt what Jacqui wanted in the first place.

Yes, I jumped in my seat when I saw that. I'm getting so absent-minded these days I half-believed the writer for a moment.

I think I've spotted the flaw.

She's a journo. Accuracy or precision not guaranteed.

Sorry to appear a dullard, but what's the truth then?

Has the final version of the bill been published yet?