Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irgendeiner

Basic M$ Text Editor?

8 posts in this topic

I've used M$ simple no frills text editor, called ?Wordpad or similar for years. Now, having made the jump to Win8 - 64 (A M$ upgrade edition, not OEM customised) I simply can't find it. Anyone any idea where they hide it, or whether it simply is missing from 8?

....and any suggestion of a freeware replacement?

I think that it's still there. Have a look at this:

I can't confirm though because at the moment  I'm on my old laptop which  has Windows 7.

or get open office

http://www.openoffice.org/

it's free!

(The small computer shop in our small town says they are making good money clearing windoze 8 of new machines and installing windows 7.)

Edited by Coventrypunter

Actually it was Notepad that I now realise I was after, but no matter! Your route works for it too, and I've now got it pinned to the task bar. Very many thanks.

Open Office is my office suite, and has been for several years - to just do a quick .txt file, however, it takes too long to load, I find.

Another odd one about Win 8, that puzzles me is with "Right to Click", the Firefox add-on which defeats AW's javascript code trying to prevent me from downloading image files. It worked, and still works with Win XP, but doesn't seem to work properly with Win8.

Not going near Windows 8, but see Notepad++ (free) and "Sublime Text 3" which is the final word in text editors.

Another odd one about Win 8, that puzzles me is with "Right to Click", the Firefox add-on which defeats AW's javascript code trying to prevent me from downloading image files. It worked, and still works with Win XP, but doesn't seem to work properly with Win8.

You don't need "Right to Click" ad-on to FF to be able to download images from AW. You just need to change some settings in FF.

In FF click Tools, then Options. In Options go to Contents. You will see there box "Enable JavaScript" which will be ticked. Click Advanced. Un-tick the box "Disable or Replace context menus".

Next time you will right click on the picture, usual copyright warning will pop out first, but then you will see menu with all the options like copy, save, email image, search with tinye or Google RS (if you have plugin installed), etc.

Edited by Xenia

You don't need "Right to Click" ad-on to FF to be able to download images from AW. You just need to change some settings in FF.

In FF click Tools, then Options. In Options go to Contents. You will see there box "Enable JavaScript" which will be ticked. Click Advanced. Un-tick the box "Disable or Replace context menus".

Next time you will right click on the picture, usual copyright warning will pop out first, but then you will see menu with all the options like copy, save, email image, search with tinye or Google RS (if you have plugin installed), etc.

Yippee! It works, straight out of the box. Very many thanks Xenia!

Not going near Windows 8, but see Notepad++ (free) and "Sublime Text 3" which is the final word in text editors.

Notepad++ is a dream! Why are you not going near Windows 8? Personally, I love it, I think it's brilliant. The only thing I have a problem with is ease of access to low level networking controls.