Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr Faustus

Edinburgh Saunas - End Of An Era

66 posts in this topic

Half the saunas in Edinburgh are to be closed. It's all over the news, but I heard it first from a girl in the sauna near Merchant Street.

This sucks. Saunas are reasonably fair with their prices and although I don't go in them much, I think they are at least done up well inside. This will just move things underground. More crime will happen too. Way to go, you stupid council / police.  :(

Half the saunas in Edinburgh are to be closed. It's all over the news, but I heard it first from a girl in the sauna near Merchant Street.

This sucks. Saunas are reasonably fair with their prices and although I don't go in them much, I think they are at least done up well inside. This will just move things underground. More crime will happen too. Way to go, you stupid council / police.  :(

Here it is in the Evening News: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/edinburgh-saunas-ordered-to-close-1-3013047

Sanctimonious, self righteous, short sighted, Glaswegian!

And, while I was looking at the News' site, I found this shocker also: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/prostitute-s-id-file-found-dumped-in-public-park-1-3010315

Dumbstruck with horror!

Edited by Irgendeiner

Threads (and thread titles) Merged.

Its not over till the fat lady comes, I m confident that they will remain open, anyway, this rogue copper wont be in power for ever.

Threads (and thread titles) Merged.

This wants merging with the thread "Police Scotland show their Glasgow origins",

Anybody sad to see the saunas go?

We have been reassured over and over again by Police Scotland that this move does not represent a change in their policy,

but their behaviour would suggest otherwise.

At SCOT-PEP we are going to challenge them hard on some of the alleged methodology employed during the raids, 

completely unacceptable. 

We have been reassured over and over again by Police Scotland that this move does not represent a change in their policy,

but their behaviour would suggest otherwise.

At SCOT-PEP we are going to challenge them hard on some of the alleged methodology employed during the raids, 

completely unacceptable.

Laura, their actions basically stink of a muscle flexing exercise performed by ass holes!

The change in politics has a lot to do with it, no doubt. Remember last year when some female politician angrily declared war on the sauna bosses for running brothels? Then police raided them all not too long ago due to shifts in police work. It figures, but they'll continue to deny it.

SCOT-PEP are to issue a press release later today, I will link it up when available. 

A fairly well-written item in the scotsman

It seems the council meeting was fun with everybody knowing what happens in the boudoirs but the solicitor for the saunas presumably stating for example that the law does permit you or anyone else to have 7,000 condoms on you and you can't infer from that that the terms of the licence have been broken.

Anyway, as it's a sunny August day and not a day for taking things seriously, does anyone on punternet know which of the saunas has the doctors, nurses and santa outfits, and have they been given back?

I am in Edinburgh for the Festival Fringe next week- if I've done my sums right the 28 days notice will not have run out.  I'll let you know what I find.

I am in Edinburgh for the Festival Fringe next week- if I've done my sums right the 28 days notice will not have run out.  I'll let you know what I find.

Hope you have fun at the Fringe new northerner:

There was going to be an interesting fringe show about a man who spent 150k on visiting working girls. Sadly it's been cancelled. I don't know the reason, but it seems to me that it would be a good idea to have as much fun as you can while you're still allowed to.

This is preposterous news. The safety of sex workers must come first. And we are given the news that six of the thirteen saunas will be closed. How long before the rest of them are forced to close? Is there much hope for the six which have been told to close if they can hope for some police tolerance?

Oh well. The AW stats will go up. :(

As promised, my report (as it were) on how things were over the weekend.

I visited Blair Street (usual haunt when in Edinburgh for the festival, certainly since the nearby Gilded Balloon burnt down and I felt comfortable sneaking in at a place so near to the Royal Mile) and for the first time in several years, London Street.  Both were business as usual, and no mention at all of the possibility of being shut down or indeed any clue at all.  Both had clean well maintained facilities, usual number of girls as I remember (and the receptionist at both places ones from previous visits).  The standard of service as good as ever at Blair Street and I chose well at London Street (service probably as good as I have ever had there).  I won't go into details given that both places are on the no reports list.

Well done Scot-PEP and Laura!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-23685790

Polizei Schottland are still sticking to their position, but what's new there! I think, however, the BBC have got their law a little out, when they say, 

In Scotland, selling sex is legal between two consenting adults - as long as it does not involve selling sex from the street or in a brothel.

If it involves a fully consenting sex worker and a ditto client in a brothel, what offence does either commit? I agree that the Manager, and maybe the LandLord can be dragged away in chains, compassionately and sensitively, but surely not the happy pair?

Good spot Irgendeiner - the BBC have made a mistake there.

There's been a couple of herald articles recently, which are more sympathetic to the, ahem, enlightened cause.

The comments on this example are favourable, apart from the first one who doesn't seem to have noticed that no charges of human trafficking have been brought following the recent raids as far as I know.

According to the local news the affected saunas will be open until October at least. So any fans of Blair St, New Town, Dundas, Paradise, Gentle Touch, and Scorpio, or fans of any of the individual working girls therein ( that would include me, smiles ) have several more weeks at least of potential fun.

Edited by bongo

It's been well nigh 3 decades plus since I frequented Edinburgh saunas. My favourite was directly opposite the police station at haymarket.

I feel like a part of my history is being wrenched out of its rightful place. These are institutions which should have preservation orders to protect them. Generations of us grew up in these places. Is there a march organised to bring the city to a full stop? Or is the traffic no better than it was 30+ years ago so bringing it to a standstill would go unnoticed.

I don't like what's reported in this article - three Edinburgh saunas have reportedly put together a list of councillors and higher up police officers who are also customers of theirs. Surely one advantage of the Edinburgh licensing approach, is that licences go to responsible operators who among many other things will maintain customer confidentiality, and I hope that they will withdraw any suggestion or deny any rumour that they would disclose the name of any customer without their consent.

October 4th is the scheduled date for the appeals btw.

Edited by bongo

I don't like what's reported in this article - three Edinburgh saunas have reportedly put together a list of councillors and higher up police officers who are also customers of theirs. Surely one advantage of the Edinburgh licensing approach, is that licences go to responsible operators who among many other things will maintain customer confidentiality, and I hope that they will withdraw any suggestion or deny any rumour that they would disclose the name of any customer without their consent.

October 4th is the scheduled date for the appeals btw.

Also in the Scottish Daily Express:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/431004/Vice-girls-to-expose-Scots-sex-trade-s-hit-list