Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vivluvsme

Bt Sport Issues

11 posts in this topic

WTF

Had been looking forward to launch for months and got a bigger monitor and a new-build pc in readiness.

But every time I got an error message and no explanation and also waited 25 mins in a chat helpline queue from 117 to 3rd in line when it promptly cancelled on me.

Late the next day they started [utting explanations of the error messages previously ignored, all  blaming mS Silverlight (which they chose to use).

Loads of threads on BT's own forum with similar complaints about seeing anything and BT help service.

Pathetic.

As it happens today I reconnected an old machine and got it first time but new one has better spec.

Unimpressed to nth degree BT.

I've mentioned streaming sites before. Someone says he uses one from a browser's own strore and happily watches Sky Sports for free.

Any worries about doing this legally or ethically?

Edited by vivluvsme

Well you could be done for breach of copyright.

I tend to use all sorts of services in order that I can watch Portuguese football.  I'm from there and follow a local team.  There is no service in the UK that provides me with the footie I want so I have no moral qualms.

I have BT infinity but not even bothered to sign up to BT sports as I knew they were gonna fuck it big style!

I have been told on here before the streamer person is not at risk but the streaming company is.

But if the channel is available from Chrome's own store (free) that suggests lots of people are using it and it is not illegal for the viewer??

I have n't checked but wouldn't be surprised if BT are covering some Portuguese soccer as i tink I saw a list in passing and there seemed to be sport coming in fromall over the place.

Still a botched launch though and haven't even reconnected my new machine to try it again.

Just went to see what's on BTS now and clicked the watch now button.

three things inc USA baseball. Chose that one for something different and it comes up as can't be shown because of rights restrictions. So why is it listed as what you can watch now?

pathetic BT

I would have thought that BT and their predecessors ESPN don't have Internet broadcasting rights for MLB baseball as that's covered by MLB's own MLBTV.

Anyone subscribing to BT to watch purely online needs to check very carefully which of their sports will be available online. Premier league football won't be an issue as the PL obviously packages the Internet live rights with the TV rights otherwise Sky Go simply wouldn't exist. But sports from elsewhere, beware.

Thanks but can you explain 'beware'? Do you mean it won't be as good a service as it sounds like or that there is something more sinister to be wary of?

Ah I should have read your post more carefully - yes, if subscribing to BT onlyto see the sport they don't want to find themselves paying for not much. As a free add on that is not such an issue, just irritating.

I have since found a notice that this no broadcasting rights thing is for online rights and that BT TV is I think able to show it and perhaps the phone app as well tho not sure.

I've made progress on my pc that won't get the sport - the 60 error message is still not explained anywhere but it has now been joined by a VC code that is also not explained anywhere.

Some similar versions of both codes are explained.

Edited by vivluvsme

I have been told on here before the streamer person is not at risk but the streaming company is.

But if the channel is available from Chrome's own store (free) that suggests lots of people are using it and it is not illegal for the viewer??

I have n't checked but wouldn't be surprised if BT are covering some Portuguese soccer as i tink I saw a list in passing and there seemed to be sport coming in fromall over the place.

Still a botched launch though and haven't even reconnected my new machine to try it again.

I think you have been wrongly informed. Even if you watch a stream, your machine will (I presume) 'buffer' the data and to that extent you are creating a copy and thus breaching copyright. You will be personally liable. Only my personal opinion.

Increasingly, FACT are obtaining disclosure orders against isps to find copyright infringers. Be wary.

Edited by TheDonkeyWork

Fair point to make but if it is available on Chrome's store, I just don't see how anything inviting people to do something illegal would be considered and also there must be many thousands of people using it.

those points just don't add up to it being something 40,000 people could end up in court over.

Fair point to make but if it is available on Chrome's store, I just don't see how anything inviting people to do something illegal would be considered and also there must be many thousands of people using it.

those points just don't add up to it being something 40,000 people could end up in court over.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in 'Chrome's store' -do you mean something in the Google play store?

You have to bear in mind that the provider of technology that facilitates a breach of copyright does not commit an offence: there was a case many years ago brought by record producers against Amstrad who produced and sold double tape decks which facilitated tape-to-tape copying. Perfectly legal to produce the tech, perfectly legal to sell and to own... But the purchaser of that product did something illegal if they copied a copyright work.

Same will doubtless be true of a piece of software that facilitates a copyright infringement;the only offender is the person committing the copyright offence.

Again, only my amateur opinion.

No, when you have Chrome as your browser, on opening it you can access a lot of apps, to use a term that's not PC, and among them are TV channels that stream to you PC. So I assume it has been approved in some way by Chrome.

As I have said before, previous advice has been that the end user is not doing anything illegal but the streaming company is. I think I have heard whispers of court cases and indeed Catchup TV won a court case some years ago although Sky were unlikely to win as Catchup TV don't carry Sky...

No, when you have Chrome as your browser, on opening it you can access a lot of apps, to use a term that's not PC, and among them are TV channels that stream to you PC. So I assume it has been approved in some way by Chrome.

As I have said before, previous advice has been that the end user is not doing anything illegal but the streaming company is. I think I have heard whispers of court cases and indeed Catchup TV won a court case some years ago although Sky were unlikely to win as Catchup TV don't carry Sky...

Well, I would not trust that advice.

I would take the view that Google (I am assuming you mean Google Chrome) will be considered to be a passive player in this, like Amstrad were in the double tape deck case. I would imagine that the streaming company would be committing an offence (like Pirate Bay and other entities like them were and are) and the end user also.

Do it at your own risk.

The Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) are getting good at chasing end users these days.