Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Inna

Female Genital Mutilation

32 posts in this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23687058

I understand that there is a surgeon in Spain who will do reconstructive surgery for women who have suffered FGM...

I am willing to work to help pay for women to have such surgery...

If ten WGs will agree to help pay we can send someone for such surgery  at £150 per hour it will be 1hr work for each woman... 

if you don't earn that much I will make up the difference. 

1 person likes this

They can get it done for free in the UK on the NHS, an FGM reversal. Women who are pregnant who have had FGM are routinely offered the procedure.

It's still a wonderful idea :)

Edited by raylondoner

This procedure involves re-siting the remaining clitoris to enable the possibility of orgasm.. I thought the NHS procedure was mainly cosmetic... TBH I am not sure... so does anyone know what is really available here ? 

are you going to be doing this through the forward charity?

Free treatment following FGM is indeed available via the NHS - see link below (have to admit I was ignorant of the fact until now)

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/female-genital-mutilation/Pages/Introduction.aspx

It is worth noting that in some areas a GP referral is required and that NHS treatment can only be assumed to be free if the recipient is 'usually resident' in the UK. Further link below for the interested.  

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Entitlementsandcharges/OverseasVisitors/Browsable/DH_074374

I guess the question is how many of the women in need of care will be able to access this treatment and how, should the OPs kind thoughts be acted on, we could engage with those who cannot.

several million throughout africa and the middle east

several million throughout africa and the middle east

And so how can we direct our money towards them?

This procedure involves re-siting the remaining clitoris to enable the possibility of orgasm.. I thought the NHS procedure was mainly cosmetic... TBH I am not sure... so does anyone know what is really available here ?

Yes, me. There are various different grades of FGM. In most cases the clitoris is completely removed. It's a hideous act that has no purpose whatsoever. Unfortunately it is still prevalent in some communities in the UK, and sadly will continue to be practiced as long as there is demand for it.

the forward charity ?

Ok - I get it. thank you.

Usually the clitoris is removed as it is believed the clitoris causes women to experience sexual thoughts, therefore making them dirty. There have been other attempts at justification for why FGM is done, such as preventing women from being raped by other tribes, ensuring a woman is a virgin etc.

Usually the clitoris is removed as it is believed the clitoris causes women to experience sexual thoughts, therefore making them dirty. There have been other attempts at justification for why FGM is done, such as preventing women from being raped by other tribes, ensuring a woman is a virgin etc.

Yes but it seems the clitoris is much larger than previously understood and as such some of the hidden organ that is not removed by FGM can be re-sited to the surface... 

They can get it done for free in the UK on the NHS, an FGM reversal. Women who are pregnant who have had FGM are routinely offered the procedure.

That's if their PCT are funding.

Having most of it cut off would no doubt affect the nerve endings, hence no, or limited, sexual pleasure could be created. A high proportion of women who have had it done suffer severe psychological issues with regards to sex, and even if they were given the ability to reach orgasm they still wouldn't view sex as a pleasurable thing. More needs to be done to educate young girls at risk, to get them to speak up if they know that they'll be forced to have it done, though most won't for fear of being disowned by their families.

That's if their PCT are funding.

I can't imagine anyone would be refused, this would cause terrible implications for an NHS trust should the person go on to experience FGM related complications. I've never heard of a case being refused in any of the trusts I've worked at, but maybe it's different in other parts of the country where FGM isn't fully understood.

I think FGM is a terrible thing.  I was lucky living in a country where male circumsition (which should also be referred a genital mutilation) was banned other than for medical purposes (1 in 10 men do need it due to the foresking being too tight).  I can imagine how incomplete I would feel as a man so how a woman must feel as a victim of FGM must be incredibly worse.  I commend for your thoughts and idea Inna.

This is very difficult to deal with in the UK as the communities involved do it in secret and therefore we need a two pronged strategy of hot to prevent it and how to treat.  As for practitioners that do this they should be done for GBH WITH INTENT, and family members should be treated as accomplices.

This is problem is rising in Milton Keynes due to the rise of one particular ethnic community and is having an effect on local NHS resources.  It is considering cosmetic/non essential, but I have a scar on my knee that is incredibly painful to touch but quite rightly it is at the back of the queue compared to FGM.

If our local places were raising money the same way, you can sign me up for an hour.

:) 

I also know that women who are from countries that follow this practice are given information on such procedures when they register for medical care.

1 person likes this

This is awful and is going on in the uk behind closed doors, over 2000 girls a year! 

Home affairs select committee says the UK has a lamentable record on FGM. Well you are the legislators. Fucking do something about it.

I suspect its because the PC lot wont investigate this child abuse because they dont want to be labelled racist. Or because of 'community cohesion'

Same as the rotherham child abuse scandal.

1 person likes this

And for how long are people going to use the race card excuse as a reason to bemoan lack of action?

Or is it more a media frenzy over any story involving race?

Perhaps there's a chicken and egg scenario being created.

And for how long are people going to use the race card excuse as a reason to bemoan lack of action?

Or is it more a media frenzy over any story involving race?

Perhaps there's a chicken and egg scenario being created.

Things like this don't help http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30886077  then http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31138218  

Also the number of kids shipped abroad for it.By the time anyone may ever find out its too late.

Did you catch the Comic Relief doc on it where they questioned a woman who carries out the procedure?She only does so,not for any cultural reasons but for cash,it provides a very good living for her and her family and she was fully booked for weeks.There needs to be a reduction in demand.When people in the villages were questioned it became clear it was the older generation pushing for it under the guise of tradition,the younger ones werent so fussed and could be talked to.To me this means,like many problems education is the key.Getting to and explaining to the younger generations in those areas before it becomes too ingrained,whilst theyre still prepared to listen.There are schemes carrying this out,just not enough and no where near funded enough

Things like this don't help http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30886077  then http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-31138218  

Also the number of kids shipped abroad for it.By the time anyone may ever find out its too late.

Did you catch the Comic Relief doc on it where they questioned a woman who carries out the procedure?She only does so,not for any cultural reasons but for cash,it provides a very good living for her and her family and she was fully booked for weeks.There needs to be a reduction in demand.When people in the villages were questioned it became clear it was the older generation pushing for it under the guise of tradition,the younger ones werent so fussed and could be talked to.To me this means,like many problems education is the key.Getting to and explaining to the younger generations in those areas before it becomes too ingrained,whilst theyre still prepared to listen.There are schemes carrying this out,just not enough and no where near funded enough

Your post almost sounds like an argument for the nordic model. That is make it illegal or unacceptable to seek it out, however what you are referring to are programmes of education so an informed choice can be made by those who are about to be affected by it.

If all professionals, like teachers, medics, social workers and police were legally required to report any suspected FGM cases then they would not slip under the net.

and parents of mutilated children would be held criminally responsible unless they had a bloody good reason.  I cant think of any BTW

and saying it was done abroad would be no defence.  If blokes can be done for sex abuse while abroad why cant parents be done for child abuse while they are abroad?

and someone needs to take a bloody hard look at the CPS to see why they have failed so spectacularly to get any prosecutions.  But then their leaders haven't inspired much respect, seeming to want to play politics rather than doing their core function of successful convictions.

I did wonder about compulsory medical exams when coming from certain countries but that is probably too difficult.

1 person likes this