Vin DaLoo

Ipad/iphone Privacy Issue

9 posts in this topic

If you ever use an iPad or iPhone for "Private Browsing" be aware of this issue, which recently caught me out; I managed to get away with it, but it could have been catastrophic.

It is all too easy to inadvertantly create a Screen Shot of whatever you are looking at. The action is to hold the Home button whilst pressing the power switch, something you could easily do without realising.

What this will do is place the screen shot in your Photos collection, so there you are showing someone your recent holiday photos when all of a sudden a graphic Adultwork profile comes up :o

So, check your Photos regularly for any stray screen shots - I bet you already have some, even if they are innocent!

Be careful out there...

I think that there is a fault in the software somewhere. It happens to me frequently in my iphone; I'll be scrolling through my pics and there is an image from the web; a browser screenshot. Now when I intentionally take a screenshot - you know that you are doing it - you can't miss it; the screen blanks out and fades back up as if there has been a flashbulb go off...

I use a full case for my iphone - so it cannot be an inadvertent press of simultaneous buttons whilst in my pocket, for example... and these shots that frequently appear in my pics - I have no idea how they got there.

I have never noticed it with my ipad and would be interested if anyone else has experienced unexplained shots being taken.

Been there, done that!

Also if you use safari, even if you have private browsing selected - data can appear in advanced settings.

Check settings - safari - advanced - website data and scroll all the way down to show all....

I use Mercury now, not only can you set it to private, you can password protect the browser as well.

Yes, I have countless number of screenshots of my apps page in my pictures on my iphone, i did wonder how the hell they got there for a while but soon clicked when I saw the flash one day. It happenes all the time in my bag, getting jolted about here and there, its easy to do x

2 people like this

Simples:  password protect your iphone/ipad, the ipad/iphone also makes the noise of a camera shutter when you do it.

Simples: password protect your iphone/ipad, the ipad/iphone also makes the noise of a camera shutter when you do it.

Well, you see, this is where I get to the point of thinking that there is a software issue because my iPhone is password protected : I get random images that are completely inexplicable. As I say - I have a flip case that covers the front of the phone when close it. There is no way I could be pressing the home button although there is a remote possibility that I could catch the top button.

My screen shot images are inexplicable.

Well, you see, this is where I get to the point of thinking that there is a software issue because my iPhone is password protected : I get random images that are completely inexplicable. As I say - I have a flip case that covers the front of the phone when close it. There is no way I could be pressing the home button although there is a remote possibility that I could catch the top button.

If they are webshots then you must have been in safari when they were taken as the screen shot is exactly that. You are probably pressing they keys whilst browsing and not even realising. Since I password protected mine it stopped happening. What have apple said about it?

I can't see much on the support forums relating to your problem - if it was a common software issue I'd have expected to find a lot of posts about it. Possibly a hardware issue, ie dodgy home button, meaning only the power button need be accidentally pressed? I had something like that on my ipad, but other than that can't say it's something I've come across with my iphones.

Then again, if it's password protected that shouldn't happen either.....

Edited by Burty