Lithium

Do You Consider Punting Is A Hobby?

83 posts in this topic

as punting is something I do in my leisure time for pleasure, I'd call it a hobby....

Why do people seem to find the need to call something something?

It's guilding the lily innit :)  I'm sure there is a rude comment in there but it's too early in the day.............

2 people like this

No, its a bloody necessity.

1 person likes this

Not a hobby, just a past time that I follow when I feel like it.

My hobby (train spotting since you asked) is something I feel drawn to even when It's raining! :D

1 person likes this

more of a way of life for me than a hobby

but i agree with sarah summers (cant believe i just wrote that :eek:  :eek: !!!!!! )...........why the need for labels ?

1 person likes this

The act of shagging prostitutes is satisfying natural desires. I'd be prepared to accept that those desires are maybe out of control and I have an addiction and it is probably something beyond 'natural desires'. But one thing it truly isnt is a 'hobby'.

I don't think that I have ever agreed with Sarah Summers - not in her 6 or 7 years on this scene, but like her, I wonder why it has to be compartmentalised into some sort of category. It is either people trying to justify what they do or give it some mainstream acceptability that they don't really believe that it has.

For me, it is just fucking for money - a commercial transaction. It is no more a hobby than food shopping and I look scornfully and pity those who want to box it off as something it isn't. Pretentious pricks... Get over yourselves! Call a spade a fucking spade.

Of course, the Internet research, the running of a website - yes, you might call that a hobby, bit the act itself - no... Its a convenient commercial transaction, a little bit sleazy, but I like it. It dont make it a hobby though.

1 person likes this

The act of shagging prostitutes is satisfying natural desires. I'd be prepared to accept that those desires are maybe out of control and I have an addiction and it is probably something beyond 'natural desires'. But one thing it truly isnt is a 'hobby'.

I don't think that I have ever agreed with Sarah Summers - not in her 6 or 7 years on this scene, but like her, I wonder why it has to be compartmentalised into some sort of category. It is either people trying to justify what they do or give it some mainstream acceptability that they don't really believe that it has.

For me, it is just fucking for money - a commercial transaction. It is no more a hobby than food shopping and I look scornfully and pity those who want to box it off as something it isn't. Pretentious pricks... Get over yourselves! Call a spade a fucking spade.

Of course, the Internet research, the running of a website - yes, you might call that a hobby, bit the act itself - no... Its a convenient commercial transaction, a little bit sleazy, but I like it. It dont make it a hobby though.

Totally agree that fucking wgs for cash satisfies natural desires, yet as for it being a sleazy activity ?

mmmmm.......'sleazy' ?

slea·zy  

/ˈslēzē/

Adjective
  1. (of a person or situation) Sordid, corrupt, or immoral.
  2. (of a place) Squalid and seedy.

1. im·mor·al  
    /iˈmôrəl/

Adjective
    Not conforming to accepted standards of morality.

Synonyms
    dissolute - vicious - amoral

sor·did  

/ˈsôrdid/

Adjective
  1. Involving ignoble actions and motives; arousing moral distaste and contempt.
  2. Dirty or squalid.

squal·id  

/ˈskwälid/

Adjective
  1. (of a place) Extremely dirty and unpleasant, esp. as a result of poverty or neglect.
  2. Showing a contemptible lack of moral standards.

Synonyms
sordid - filthy - foul - unclean - mucky - nasty - grimy

You reckon ?

:D

Personally I love it and have never been encumbered by a sense of 'sleaziness', 'squalor' or 'immorality'

Totally agree that fucking wgs for cash satisfies natural desires, yet as for it being a sleazy activity ?

mmmmm.......'sleazy' ?

slea·zy

/ˈslēzē/

Adjective

• (of a person or situation) Sordid, corrupt, or immoral.
  • (of a place) Squalid and seedy.

• im·mor·al

/iˈmôrəl/

Adjective

Not conforming to accepted standards of morality.

Synonyms

dissolute - vicious - amoral

sor·did

/ˈsôrdid/

Adjective

• Involving ignoble actions and motives; arousing moral distaste and contempt.
  • Dirty or squalid.

squal·id

/ˈskwälid/

Adjective

• (of a place) Extremely dirty and unpleasant, esp. as a result of poverty or neglect.
  • Showing a contemptible lack of moral standards.

Synonyms

sordid - filthy - foul - unclean - mucky - nasty - grimy

You reckon ?

:D

Personally I love it and have never been encumbered by a sense of 'sleaziness', 'squalor' or 'immorality'

Personally, yes... I do consider it to be all those things aside from squalid.

I have, I am sorry to say, visited some squalid places - First Class in Sheffield springs to mind, but by no means the worst place I've ever played.

I do consider shagging prostitutes to be inconsistent with 'normal' moral standards. Of course, everybody has a different 'standard' - but the way that the sex industry and prostitutes are viewed - the stereotype - I think, supports my view that generally, most would consider what we do to be inconsistent with ordinary moral standards and therefore a little sordid and sleazy.

Of course, I'm a partaker so my moral standards are different and those of us who do partake are the 'converted', and as much as I would argue the acceptability of what I and you do, I accept that we're some way from general acceptability.

Personally, yes... I do consider it to be all those things aside from squalid.

I have, I am sorry to say, visited some squalid places - First Class in Sheffield springs to mind, but by no means the worst place I've ever played.

I do consider shagging prostitutes to be inconsistent with 'normal' moral standards. Of course, everybody has a different 'standard' - but the way that the sex industry and prostitutes are viewed - the stereotype - I think, supports my view that generally, most would consider what we do to be inconsistent with ordinary moral standards and therefore a little sordid and sleazy.

Of course, I'm a partaker so my moral standards are different and those of us who do partake are the 'converted', and as much as I would argue the acceptability of what I and you do, I accept that we're some way from general acceptability.

Oh yeah, totally agree that what we do is beyond what most would consider to be 'consistent with ordinary moral standards' and that we're some way from general acceptability....thats obvious

Do I care what 'most' would think ?

Do I modify this particular aspect of my behaviour such that 'most' would deem it more 'acceptable' ?

Do I suffer inner turmoil, remorse and guilt for indulging in activities that 'most' would deem as 'immoral' ?

I think you know the answer to all of these questions

If I could answer 'yes' to any of those questions then I simply wouldnt punt

As one poster succinctly likes to state: 'punt, happily, or dont punt'

Oh yeah, totally agree that what we do is beyond what most would consider to be 'consistent with ordinary moral standards' and that we're some way from general acceptability....thats obvious

Do I care what 'most' would think ?

Do I modify this particular aspect of my behaviour such that 'most' would deem it more 'acceptable' ?

Do I suffer inner turmoil, remorse and guilt for indulging in activities that 'most' would deem as 'immoral' ?

I think you know the answer to all of these questions

If I could answer 'yes' to any of those questions then I simply wouldnt punt

As one poster succinctly likes to state: 'punt, happily, or dont punt'

I think that maybe you misunderstand: the sleaziness is an attraction for me.

I'm happy with it. In actual fact, if it was socially acceptable, I might not enjoy it quite so much.

The idea that I'm doing something 'naughty' was definitely a big attraction in the early days - aside from the physical benefits - the 'risk' - added greatly to the thrill.

I remember in the early days having a thumping heart as I entered a parlour - half because of the sleaze factor, half because of eager anticipation. Back in the old days - aged 15 - I thought I was doing not only something morally contemptible but something illegal... In actual fact, I undoubtedly was (at 15) but I actually thought fucking prostitutes was illegal.

I remember walking away thinking 'phew... Got away with it again... No boys in blue busting in and feeling my collar!'

So don't get to thinking that I'm turned off by the sleaze factor; quite the opposite.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the new super posh parlours that are trying to bring the industry to a new level of respectability. I genuinely miss the dark and dingy brothels of old... Fancy lighting, plush surrounds and flash LCD televisions are not a welcome advance in my eyes...

I can easily see where TDW is coming from.

It was the naughty sleaziness of this game which appealed to me and I think that may apply to many others who are not willing to admit it.

Some guys love the sleaze factor and others demand a refined lady.

Being able to switch is fun.

........sorry this was a bit off topic.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the new super posh parlours that are trying to bring the industry to a new level of respectability. I genuinely miss the dark and dingy brothels of old... Fancy lighting, plush surrounds and flash LCD televisions are not a welcome advance in my eyes...

I know what you mean - I was left fairly cold by my one and only visit to a German FKK Club. The way that they have advertising (proper, corporate style) plastered over local taxis adds to this!

I'm happy with it. In actual fact, if it was socially acceptable, I might not enjoy it quite so much.

The idea that I'm doing something 'naughty' was definitely a big attraction in the early days - aside from the physical benefits - the 'risk' - added greatly to the thrill.

I remember in the early days having a thumping heart as I entered a parlour - half because of the sleaze factor, half because of eager anticipation. Back in the old days - aged 15 - I thought I was doing not only something morally contemptible but something illegal... In actual fact, I undoubtedly was (at 15) but I actually thought fucking prostitutes was illegal.

I remember walking away thinking 'phew... Got away with it again... No boys in blue busting in and feeling my collar!'

So don't get to thinking that I'm turned off by the sleaze factor; quite the opposite.

OK I get ya

Never been a factor for me really

I've never seen sex as something 'naughty' or 'dirty', even if its paid for

Whatever trips your trigger as they say

Not a hobby, just a past time that I follow when I feel like it.

My hobby (train spotting since you asked) is something I feel drawn to even when It's raining! :D

Really?  How exciting!  I have been to the National railway Museum no less than four times this summer..................  and the sight of some of those trains made me emotional x

more of a way of life for me than a hobby

but i agree with sarah summers (cant believe i just wrote that :eek:  :eek: !!!!!! )...........why the need for labels ?

There is no law that says you can't agree with me Bill.x  Personally I like that frisson - that edge - that - debate even?   whatever........................    What's the point of debate if we all agreed anyways x x

Have to say - I should have said it before - I agree with you 10000000% about Hitoni Tanaka.  If you ever get to punt her - could I just sit in the corner and watch  *gasps at the thought of it*

:)

Punting, like any other hobby, can be measured by the intensity and preoccupation of its devotee that can sometimes evolve into a lifestyle choice. 

It may be as benign as carp fishing or philately. Or, it can be unwholesome and destructive, like membership of the Bullingdon Club or the compulsive use of cocaine.  

Edited by WhilstNeroplays

For me punting isn't a 'hobby'. A hobby is something I'd happily admit to the wide world as an activity I am engaged in.

No, punting is more of a psychological life saver as well as being far more fun than any hobby I ever undertook.

Uncle Pokey

Just goes to show the breadth of opinion on this board. I couldn't be further from this point of view. ;)

For me the event is the fun and that's more than just the sex. Of course I also want sex and would be unhappy if that didn't happen. But just as all things being equal I'd rather take my car to a dealer with a clean waiting room I like the more up-market sex experience. I don't want a sleaze factor. I'd feel uncomfortable somewhere I felt was dirty and sleazy and that would detract from the overall experience.

Oh, and for me I think it is a hobby. I have to go shopping to get food to eat and clothes to wear. I don't do that for fun though, sadly, I know people who do and try to involve me in their sordid world. There's nothing, thankfully, that means I have to punt though. I choose to and I get satisfaction beyond the pure physical from it.

Edited by Tricky Dickie
1 person likes this

Just goes to show the breadth of opinion on this board. I couldn't be further from this point of view. ;)

For me the event is the fun and that's more than just the sex. Of course I also want sex and would be unhappy if that didn't happen. But just as all things being equal I'd rather take my car to a dealer with a clean waiting room I like the more up-market sex experience. I don't want a sleaze factor. I'd feel uncomfortable somewhere I felt was dirty and sleazy and that would detract from the overall experience.

Oh, and for me I think it is a hobby. I have to go shopping to get food to eat and clothes to wear. I don't do that for fun though, sadly, I know people who do and try to involve me in their sordid world. There's nothing, thankfully, that means I have to punt though. I choose to and I get satisfaction beyond the pure physical from it.

+1

Couldn't agree more.

I punt as i enjoy it and for relaxation so to me it isnt a hobby.If you go for a massage,or a sauna,go for a beer it isnt considered a hobby so why this?
For me,it only becomes a hobby when you see people trying to get a girl from as many different countries as possible,somtimes going out of their way to see someone so that they can cross a certain nationality off.Then,to me anyway it becomes the adult version of train spotting :)

I punt as i enjoy it and for relaxation so to me it isnt a hobby.If you go for a massage,or a sauna,go for a beer it isnt considered a hobby so why this?

For me,it only becomes a hobby when you see people trying to get a girl from as many different countries as possible,somtimes going out of their way to see someone so that they can cross a certain nationality off.Then,to me anyway it becomes the adult version of train spotting :)

According to my dictionary the definition of hobby is:

an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation

Punting isn't my main occupation, and is an activity I get pleasure from - hence to me it's a hobby, pure and simple. Nothing to do with trying to give it a name or being pretentious as mentioned above.

Dunno, here's Wikipedia's definition:

A hobby is a regularly undertaken activity that is done for pleasure, typically, during one's leisure time. Hobbies can include: the collection of themed items and objects, engaging in creative and artistic pursuits, playing sports, along with many more examples. By continually participating in a particular hobby, one can acquire substantial skill and knowledge in that area.

I'd like to think that the last sentence is true! ;)

According to my dictionary the definition of hobby is:

an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation

Punting isn't my main occupation, and is an activity I get pleasure from - hence to me it's a hobby, pure and simple. Nothing to do with trying to give it a name or being pretentious as mentioned above.

Ah,so sleeping and having a nice soak is a hobby as well?