Strawberry

Ipod

12 posts in this topic

I have a second hand, wiped ipod classic. When I try to load my itunes library via 'synching' it only transfers music I've bought from the itunes store, and not music I uploaded eons ago from CD and in fact it's not even transferring all the purchases either. I also get an error box saying there's been 100 problems with transferring songs which aren't 'available'. 

I have a second hand, wiped ipod classic. When I try to load my itunes library via 'synching' it only transfers music I've bought from the itunes store, and not music I uploaded eons ago from CD and in fact it's not even transferring all the purchases either. I also get an error box saying there's been 100 problems with transferring songs which aren't 'available'.

Are they mp3 files?

I remember reading something similar on one of the support forums and someone suggested re-converting the mp3's due to some encoding problem with older mp3 files.

Can't really check atm as only on my phone but i'll post a link if I can find the article later.

1. What type of files are they ? MP3, AAC etc

2. When you add them to your library in iTunes, do they show up ?

1. What type of files are they ? MP3, AAC etc

2. When you add them to your library in iTunes, do they show up ?

Ok itunes uses it's own format, not mp3. You import music into your library from CDs and can also add to it by making online purchases. You then add all of this to you ipod by using the synchronise feature on the software. All my music is showing in the library, but only the ones 'purchased' from the itunes store (and some of those aren't moving) are transferring onto the ipod.

Ok itunes uses it's own format, not mp3. You import music into your library from CDs and can also add to it by making online purchases. You then add all of this to you ipod by using the synchronise feature on the software. All my music is showing in the library, but only the ones 'purchased' from the itunes store (and some of those aren't moving) are transferring onto the ipod.

Rip the CD's to your PC, then add them to iTunes. Don't import from CD. That will work I think.

That is what I do for my music.

I think the problem is that I switched PCs in May, it would seem some of the albums in the library appear to be there but actually aren't.

So next problem is how do I restore the music to the library?I have everything on a hard drive and the computer shop created some itunes 'old' library files on the c:drive. I guess I have to work out how to extract and rebuild it! Think I'll pop to the shop for instructions, they are helpful like that.

Rip the CD's to your PC, then add them to iTunes. Don't import from CD. That will work I think.

That is what I do for my music.

I no longer have the CDs, I gave them away years ago after I uploaded them all to the pc. I no longer needed them at that point.

I think the problem is that I switched PCs in May, it would seem some of the albums in the library appear to be there but actually aren't.

So next problem is how do I restore the music to the library?I have everything on a hard drive and the computer shop created some itunes 'old' library files on the c:drive. I guess I have to work out how to extract and rebuild it! Think I'll pop to the shop for instructions, they are helpful like that.

Quite simply. I take it all the music is still on your hard drive.

If so, just click on the Music section of iTunes, delete everything on there then add them back on. iTunes will then know the correct location of the files and you will be able to add at will.

You can convert music to mp3 within itunes. Maybe try re-converting something that isn't syncing and see if that works?

So your itunes library entries are pointing to one location but at least some of your music is actually in another location now by the sound of it?

I would remove any entries from iTunes that aren't pointing to the right place, then you just need to re-add the music to the library which you can do by dragging and dropping it on to iTunes in one go. You need to decide if you want the files to be copied to your iTunes library folder or whether you're happy for them always to be accessed from the drive they're on

e.g. if it's an external drive it would need to be connected to the computer when you synch or if you wanted to play the music on the computer using iTunes. If that's OK, you don't need to have a copy of the files made in the iTunes library folder. If it isn't, then you do.  If it's an internal drive on the same machine that has iTunes, no additional copy is needed as the drive is always accessible to the computer*.

Depending what you decide, you can tell iTunes whether or not to copy files to the iTunes media folder when adding to the library in the advanced preferences tab in Edit....Preferences. Then you just drag and drop the files onto iTunes and it will do its stuff.

* As you've given away the CDs I hope you have more than one copy of the files! Even if you still had the CDs, depending how many you have you really don't want to have to rip them all again. I would struggle to find the enthusiasm to do it all again if I suffered a drive failure.

P.S.legally you do technically still need those CDs as you're still using the contents. Plus if you didn't rip to a lossless format you've given away the masters and kept inferior copies, which is a shame if you ever want to play your music through quality HiFi.

Edited by jlm42

Thanks it's starting to pick it all up now, music and media files, artwork that sort of thing. I thought the problem was the pod!

I no longer have the CDs, I gave them away years ago after I uploaded them all to the pc. I no longer needed them at that point.

Do you have another device with your music on it i.e iPhone? if so you can download a programme called Senuti that transfers all your music back to your iTunes on your computer, basically a reverse sync.