Tarquin

Problems trying to save bmp pics in IE

20 posts in this topic

I'm trying to save some pics and right clicking as normal. The problem is that when you save an image in Microsoft Internet Explorer, the image is saved by default as a bitmap (.bmp). You do not have the option to save the image by using an extension other than .bmp! All I'm getting saved is a black image.

Does anyone know how I can save them as a .jpg?

Last time I had that happen it was just a case of clearing my cache and temp files from within IE, then the .jpg option reappeared.

Last time I had that happen it was just a case of clearing my cache and temp files from within IE, then the .jpg option reappeared.

Thanks, I tried that but still get FILE NAME Untitled and SAVE AS bitmap.

This is only happening with one site that I'm trying to save pics from, any other pics on other sites is working fine. I can only assume they have published them in a different format. There must be a way of saving them ;)

I've also tried to save the pics on another pc with firefox, no joy either!

I've also tried to save the pics on another pc with firefox, no joy either!

Screen capture (Alt+Prt Sc), that will copy the contents of the screen to the clipboard. Then use whatever program you fancy to crop the "pasted" result.

Screen capture (Alt+Prt Sc), that will copy the contents of the screen to the clipboard. Then use whatever program you fancy to crop the "pasted" result.

Thanks, I had considered that already, however I've some 100 pages each with 50 pics to save and the prospect of cropping 5000 pics wasn't a pleasant option.

Thanks, I had considered that already, however I've some 100 pages each with 50 pics to save and the prospect of cropping 5000 pics wasn't a pleasant option.

Ah, point taken, can you play with the URL and get to a listing of the directory(s)/folder(s) that hold the pictures so that you can get at them via a multiple downloader like FlashGet?

Ah, point taken, can you play with the URL and get to a listing of the directory(s)/folder(s) that hold the pictures so that you can get at them via a multiple downloader like FlashGet?

Strangely all the pics urls are the same

http://www.xoxoxooxo.co.uk/WebMarketingImage/xoxoxoxoo.png

So I believe the answer to your question is NO

leaving the page up, search in my computer for the image. it will be in some temp directory somewhere. copy it from there.

It sounds like some kind of hot link protection (for example, through a mod rewrite or similar). If it is, you're prolly stuffed.

Try a program like WinHTTrack to grab the whole site. That might do the trick, although it can take a bit of configuring (and I'd check the page source first to make sure the URLs for the images are different in the HTML).

B

Hmmmmmmmmmm, that's interesting because I get "DNS error" when trying that, also I get "Page not found" if I try the Home page, very strange.

I am not surprised. Domain: xoxoxooxo.co.uk not even registered yet.

That could be a clear layer of clear bmp images over the page used to stop people taking the images from underneath. Go to the site source, find the image directory the images are in and go directly to it. It might allow you to see the images in it, and download them from there. But anyone with any sense will have the folder protected.

I am not surprised. Domain: xoxoxooxo.co.uk not even registered yet.

Yes, I was told later by the OP that the URL supplied was an example only, foolishly I took it to be kosher thinking that I might be able to assist, it appears not to be the case.

I'm still working on it, with little success.

It seems that unchecking "do not save ecrypted files" in tool, options, advanced might do the trick. I will try it later.

Have you tried using a batch conversion utility? I use one on under OSX which allows me to specify output options including file sizes then convert PICT and TIFF files to JPGs on a batch run. There must be a Win equivalent.

Save them however you can, then open them in your default image/slideshow viewer. You should be able to rename it to .jpg in there

If you need to save lots of pictures from websites have you considered a something more suitable for the job like Bulk Image Downloader

Cracked it! I copied a whole page to my own website and published it. Somehow that threw up a different/new different url from properties. Copied the url into the browser and saved as normal from there. Haven't a clue how that works though, very long winded process aswel. Still only and upward only 4960 to go!:o

Cracked it! I copied a whole page to my own website and published it. Somehow that threw up a different/new different url from properties. Copied the url into the browser and saved as normal from there. Haven't a clue how that works though, very long winded process aswel. Still only and upward only 4960 to go!:o

P.S. Anyone know a good, easy to use, free bulk Watermark program?