porker paul

Linking E-Mail To Mobile

7 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago I was logging on to Mrs P's e-mail  for her and got a screen asking me to provide a phone number so Hotmail could verify the e-mail address. Without too much thought I entered the Porker Towers phone number and within a minute got a voice mail message with a four digit code. Entered the code and Bob's your uncle.

Like most people here I have a private e-mail address and a private PAYG mobile phone both for "extracurricular activities". When logging into my punting e-mail (Hotmail) this morning I got the same message. I thought for a minute and then entered my punting phone number. Sure enough a text arrived a few seconds later with a four digit code.

Now, I have been thinking that me private e-mail is now linked to my private mobile. Should I be alarmed?

If I were of a criminal bent I most certainly would but as a clean living guy I am not too sure that I need to. Am I paranoid?

Has this happened to anyone else.

A few weeks ago I was logging on to Mrs P's e-mail  for her and got a screen asking me to provide a phone number so Hotmail could verify the e-mail address. Without too much thought I entered the Porker Towers phone number and within a minute got a voice mail message with a four digit code. Entered the code and Bob's your uncle.

Like most people here I have a private e-mail address and a private PAYG mobile phone both for "extracurricular activities". When logging into my punting e-mail (Hotmail) this morning I got the same message. I thought for a minute and then entered my punting phone number. Sure enough a text arrived a few seconds later with a four digit code.

Now, I have been thinking that me private e-mail is now linked to my private mobile. Should I be alarmed?

If I were of a criminal bent I most certainly would but as a clean living guy I am not too sure that I need to. Am I paranoid?

Has this happened to anyone else.

is your punting email the same provider as your main one?  I use different ones.

I always decline to give a number to these people .   You can log on with a mobile without using a number for ID .

The way that the NSA and GCHQ have been behaving recently, I'd say yes.  Hotmail accounts are easily compromised and metadata is routinely analysed.

The Snowden revelations have concerned me, knowing that many established software providers are building backdoors into their software with the complicit agreement of the security services has made me radically review my security.  I always use 4096 bit PGP end-to-end encryption for anything sensitive andI use a self-booting version of Tails >> Bridges>>Tor.  That way I can use any computer and leave no trace. At home I run the same thing through a VPN to hide the fact that I'm using Tor from my ISP.   I was thinking of posting my public key here and getting anyone, who felt inclined to PM me, to encrypt their messages.  But I think it might be agains the rules on this site.   

I feel justifiably worried about the scope of electronic surveillance in this country but nobody else seems to care, apart from the Guardian.  Every other media outlet has been told to shut up.  Meanwhile the spooks went into the Guardian offices and destroyed a few Macbooks like a bunch of thugs enjoying a demonstration of force.   

Use open source software.   Protect your privacy and anonymity.  Don't let these bastards win.

2 people like this

The way that the NSA and GCHQ have been behaving recently, I'd say yes.  Hotmail accounts are easily compromised and metadata is routinely analysed.

The Snowden revelations have concerned me, knowing that many established software providers are building backdoors into their software with the complicit agreement of the security services has made me radically review my security.  I always use 4096 bit PGP end-to-end encryption for anything sensitive andI use a self-booting version of Tails >> Bridges>>Tor.  That way I can use any computer and leave no trace. At home I run the same thing through a VPN to hide the fact that I'm using Tor from my ISP.   I was thinking of posting my public key here and getting anyone, who felt inclined to PM me, to encrypt their messages.  But I think it might be agains the rules on this site.   

I feel justifiably worried about the scope of electronic surveillance in this country but nobody else seems to care, apart from the Guardian.  Every other media outlet has been told to shut up.  Meanwhile the spooks went into the Guardian offices and destroyed a few Macbooks like a bunch of thugs enjoying a demonstration of force.   

Use open source software.   Protect your privacy and anonymity.  Don't let these bastards win.

And this is the reason why always have contempt for the MET police. They no longer care about youths kniving each other. They are too busy bowing to Uncle Sam as recent events have shown. The MET are no longer police but an something the Stasi would be proud off.

I'm assuming the only benefit of using a VPN is that your ISP can't see you are using TOR ?   Which VPN service do you subscibe to ? there seems to be loads out there at varying prices.

I cannot disclose my VPN provider on the clearnet, Bert. Tsk, tsk  :ph34r:   

Be careful when choosing.  Use a country that exercises greater protection for personal privacy and see which encryption protocols they use, preferably OpenVPN.  

Paypal, Mastercard and Visa have all withdrawn their services from many international VPN providers making payments difficult.  Instead, pay using a crypto currency purchased with cash, it places even further distance between you and any SP.  Keep all transactions as anonymous as possible.

And place some masking tape over the front-facing camera on your laptop/desktop.