cumandgo

Computer Is Suddenly Slow

21 posts in this topic

I have Norton anti-virus, so I ran that again but its made no difference.

About a week ago my laptop suddenly started to slow down. Slow to download, slow to use the curser to move up and down the page etc.

I don't store data, many docs, pics or anything really.

Is there any cheap, quick fix  ?

Any help appreciated.

I had this at home the other evening and it lasted a few days, went to my working apartment, same thing, now its all back to normal after re setting my works modem. Go figure, I think the internet plays games with us lol x

I suppose you have done the usual, checked for downloads no matter how small or software updates just before you went slow?

Try deleting everything you no longer need and uninstalling all programmes you no longer use, fee up memory space?

Delete all history and cookies? Do a virus scan?

Sorry, not much help but its the best I can do being a non techy xx

Edited by Chloe Kisses

is it a pc?

get and run ccleaner from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

it clears out old crap from your computer

is your antivirus doing its monthly check everything?  It will be an icon on the system tray

get this registry cleaner. and run it

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

check your system tray bottom right. is there anything you dont need?

do a ctrl alt -del and look at your tasks  check the processes tab, see if anything is using a lot.

check your addons to your browser. any you don't need?

is your router plugged into your bt master socket or an extension.  Always better in the master socket.

if you are doing heavy shit, plug your pc into the router. a wired connection always beats wifi.

how long since you rebooted your pc?  just keeping it running all the time and hibernating it by closing the lid means that itsmemory gets clogged up.  Try and reboot once per day.

I use iobit to keep the pc in good order.

You could always try restore to take it back to when it was running faster?

hth

Norton and McAfee are notorious for clogging things up

I use Microsoft security essentials

Spybot s&d2

Malwarebytes

C cleaner is ran once a week

What version of windows are you running

You may have too much crap starting up when the machine boots

If you need help I can assist with a hijack this log after you have followed mine and other advice posted

Hijack this is basically a programme that displays every item starting up with the machine and browsers it usually indicates problems but looks a little daunting for the uninitiated

Think have you installed anything recently or updated any programmes adobe and java always dump stuff in your start up prgramme list

C cleaner allows you to see start up

Also start then run then typing mscinfig yields the same result

you could back up, delete everything, format the hard disk, then reinstall everything again.  Windows builds up crap that makes computers run slower and slower.

Spybot s&d2

Malwarebytes

If you need help I can assist with a hijack this log after you have followed mine and other advice posted

Hijack this is basically a programme that displays every item starting up with the machine and browsers it usually indicates problems but looks a little daunting for the uninitiated

Think have you installed anything recently or updated any programmes adobe and java always dump stuff in your start up prgramme list

+1 to this.  I used to pay for Norton every year then realised it was one of the biggest causes of problems on my PC.  Uninstalled it, even though I had some of subscription left to run, and installed MSE instead.  Have used it ever since.

Defrag may help, although in my experience one of the biggest causes of slow running is programs running in the background and using up CPU and RAM resources 

+1 to this.  I used to pay for Norton every year then realised it was one of the biggest causes of problems on my PC.  Uninstalled it, even though I had some of subscription left to run, and installed MSE instead.  Have used it ever since.

Defrag may help, although in my experience one of the biggest causes of slow running is programs running in the background and using up CPU and RAM resources 

I use AVG free.  does what it says on the tin.

Windows  crap 

I agree  :D

1 person likes this

I agree  :D

does that mean you crap out of the window

like Lord Blackadder?

I've been using the free version of Comodo Internet Security for years and wouldn't move away from it.

A friend had Norton 360 and that slowed his PC to a crawl.

DG

Spybot s&d2

Malwarebytes

Concur with this , I had same prob with CPU running at 100% most of time even with hardly any applications running. As soon as I disabled anti-virus (Trend Micro) it dropped to 30%. So uninstalled it and used MS Security essentials. Now it flies.

Also agree worth going thru task manager and stopping any apps running in background you don't regularly use. 

Spybot s&d2

Malwarebytes

Pretty much this.Also Norton tends to miss a lot of problems.The ccleaner to free up some memory,cookies etc.Definitely go with malwarebytes.With mwb's one thing to remember is that certain viruses have been designed to recognise it so even if you download and run it won't actually open the programme,you'll just have a useless icon on your machine.You need to rename the file and the registry files etc as you are going through the set up.Anything will do.Mine are called Hello.

Pretty much this.Also Norton tends to miss a lot of problems.The ccleaner to free up some memory,cookies etc.Definitely go with malwarebytes.With mwb's one thing to remember is that certain viruses have been designed to recognise it so even if you download and run it won't actually open the programme,you'll just have a useless icon on your machine.You need to rename the file and the registry files etc as you are going through the set up.Anything will do.Mine are called Hello.

download and install a copy of malwarebytes on a data stick using an uninfected computer.

start infected computer up in safe mode and as soon as it starts, plug in the data stick and run malwarebytes from there.

that seems to work.

First things first is Norton is most likely the root cause.

Get rid of it and put AVG free on there. It does the job.

open msconfig and disable all the crap from loading at statup.

install spybot and let that do it'sthing.(Yes thereare two programs replacing the one now)

If still iffy, run combofix (It nukes anything dodgy)

Have you done anything new recently that made your computer slower? If your user profile is huge, that might be a reason for it to be slow. Check C:\Documents and settings\"your username" and see how big it is. Shouldn't be more than maybe 50MB or so if you don't store much there. (C:\Users\"your username" for windows 7) If your computer have 2 physical disks, try storing all big files on the other drive instead of C:. If not, make a new folder directly under C: instead of storing it in your profile.

For good and reliable antivirus program, i would recommend AVG. Saw someone mentioning that earlier too. It's best to stick to one antivirus program, if you have 2 they might argue and make things worse. 

Also, restore to factory defaults usually does the trick every time. Some computers have this as an option during start-up, others you will need a CD with your operative system. Be aware you will lose all data on your computer. Use a external hard drive or USB to backup. 

Good luck

J

Aside from running an anti-virus software you may also want to run a malware test. 

If the 2 programs won't be able to find anything then it is possible that you have too many data in your computer and you may need to delete your files.

Giving your hard drive free 50% space would definitely make your computer ran faster. 

I run

AVG free

malwarebytes

eusing free registry cleaner

ccleaner

I also don't store loads of stuff on my laptop hard disk.  They are saved on a network drive that plugs into the router so available to any computer on the home network.

Something like this but mine is older

http://www.freecom.com/Products/External-Hard-Drives/Network-Hard-Drives/Network-Drive-XS

safer too. the external drive is safer than your lappy hard drive so when your lappy does you still have your stuff.

if that doesn't work, remove everything from the computer, format the hard drive and reinstall everything again. Windows just piles more and more stuff and never clears out the crap so you computer runs slower and slower.

I run

AVG free

malwarebytes

eusing free registry cleaner

ccleaner

I also don't store loads of stuff on my laptop hard disk.  They are saved on a network drive that plugs into the router so available to any computer on the home network.

Something like this but mine is older

http://www.freecom.com/Products/External-Hard-Drives/Network-Hard-Drives/Network-Drive-XS

safer too. the external drive is safer than your lappy hard drive so when your lappy does you still have your stuff.

if that doesn't work, remove everything from the computer, format the hard drive and reinstall everything again. Windows just piles more and more stuff and never clears out the crap so you computer runs slower and slower.

oh and if you are doing stuff that means you are downloading loads from the internet, consider using an Ethernet cable to attach to your router rather than wireless.