Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max Gentle

Pc visited red light area on duty

15 posts in this topic

"A police officer who neglected his duties in order to indulge in an "unhealthy interest" in prostitutes has been given a conditional discharge.

Det Insp Martin Reddington, of Greater Manchester Police, said: 'As a result of PC Bowen pleading guilty prior to the trial, and further offences being allowed to lie on file, the full extent of his misconduct and the truth of why he neglected his duties to patrol the red light district will never be known.'"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8376575.stm

Will the local GUM clinic be able to deal with his conditional discharge??

What's the penalty for the average "man in the street"?

Must be at least a fine, publication in his local paper, go on the DNA register....if not the sex offenders.

He was found guilty of misconduct in a public office, because he went to the red light district instead of going on an emergency call. Not something for which the ordinary man in the street would be punished.

Also, his long and distinguished career has been terminated in disgrace.

He was found guilty of misconduct in a public office, because he went to the red light district instead of going on an emergency call. Not something for which the ordinary man in the street would be punished.

Also, his long and distinguished career has been terminated in disgrace.

Not a charge I was aware of. Thought he would just get kicked out of the force.

Lou learns everyday

Not a charge I was aware of. Thought he would just get kicked out of the force.

Lou learns everyday

It is the charge they use when they think a public employee has done something their 'superiors' don't like but which probably isn't actually a crime.

Was also used against a policewoman who doubled as a WG---- she got 15 months, though unclear how much of this was for being a WG & how much for misuse of police computer systems to obtain information for her agency. There's a long thread about it on the legalities board

So he declined to go out on an emergency call... maybe where some old dear is getting a kicking.... feeling much more comfortable having some nooky while being paid at the public expense??

Excuse me if I don't feel too much sympathy.

Okay I might well feel very differently if I knew all the details. But... I'm an old cynic... I'm always very doubtful when somebody does something like this that its "a single blemish in an otherwise spotless career". Much more likely its first time he's been caught out. Even more likely... he's been caught out several times, received warnings, ignored them and carried on. (Oh.. and also gone through many a speed trap way too fast, and had no action taken against him.)

hes not just lost his job but with only two years to go he has lost his pension and that will cost him big time .

he is a first class fool !

It is the charge they use when they think a public employee has done something their 'superiors' don't like but which probably isn't actually a crime.

Was also used against a policewoman who doubled as a WG---- she got 15 months, though unclear how much of this was for being a WG & how much for misuse of police computer systems to obtain information for her agency. There's a long thread about it on the legalities board

In her case it wasn't just the fact she was working as a prostitute, it was the fact she was running searches on the Police National Computer for her associates in the business - that was the main thing they were pissed off at although obviously the papers focused on the WG thing.

What's the penalty for the average "man in the street"?

Must be at least a fine, publication in his local paper, go on the DNA register....if not the sex offenders.

I'm no legal eagle, but surely the sex offenders register doesn't apply to picking up prostitutes ?

Perhaps any legal people out there could expand.

So he declined to go out on an emergency call... maybe where some old dear is getting a kicking.... feeling much more comfortable having some nooky while being paid at the public expense??

Excuse me if I don't feel too much sympathy.

Okay I might well feel very differently if I knew all the details. But... I'm an old cynic... I'm always very doubtful when somebody does something like this that its "a single blemish in an otherwise spotless career". Much more likely its first time he's been caught out. Even more likely... he's been caught out several times, received warnings, ignored them and carried on. (Oh.. and also gone through many a speed trap way too fast, and had no action taken against him.)

There was no suggestion he was picking any girls up - the police car was bugged and it seemed he was just driving round aimlessly. It may have just been a fascination with hookers and a convenient place to get lost when work calls. Lots of police officers have historically been very good at avoiding doing anything all day. Gets harder nowadays as the latest radios are doubling as GPS locators so they know where everyone is and what they're doing.

In her case it wasn't just the fact she was working as a prostitute, it was the fact she was running searches on the Police National Computer for her associates in the business - that was the main thing they were pissed off at although obviously the papers focused on the WG thing.

You may well be right, but is objectionable that it was never made clear how much of the sentence was for each 'offence'.

You may well be right, but is objectionable that it was never made clear how much of the sentence was for each 'offence'.

Was she not also convicted of running the brothel or having a hand in it (me thinks)

Lots of police officers have historically been very good at avoiding doing anything all day.

My friend the police inspector confirms this, grumbling, every time we go out for a curry, about the assortment of misfits and skivers he has been given to manage.

Was she not also convicted of running the brothel or having a hand in it (me thinks)

Have skimmed back through the new reports some of which cryptically say 'had links to brothel operators'. Nevertheless she was convicted of misconduct in a public office, not of brothelkeeping