Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheCrow7

Anarchafeministwhore

10 posts in this topic

Here's a good blog:

http://anarchafeministwhore.wordpress.com/category/industrial-workers-of-the-world/

The writer mentions the Industrial Workers of the World... look at what they've got for a mascot!

http://www.iww.org/graphics/agitators/classic/BlackCat1.jpg

I really like this poster by them too....

http://www.spunk.org/texts/groups/iww/images/sp001453.gif

Edited by TheCrow7

She is an amazing writer, love her stuff so much!  :wub:

1 person likes this

She is an amazing writer, love her stuff so much!  :wub:

I love your nick. And to think how many times I've read Mansfield Park without it ever registering...!

Not exactly light reading though  :blink:

Not exactly light reading though  :blink:

I agree! Lots of what one might loosely call 'sociology' writing leaves me choking for breath after the first paragraph and a half! This piece is far from the worst I've encountered and what she says is good stuff but FFS, can people in this field not manage plain, simple, vernacular English? It always seems to be encrypted in 'sociospeak', as if those who can't speak the jargon aren't to be granted access to the information or allowed to participate in the debate.

I agree! Lots of what one might loosely call 'sociology' writing leaves me choking for breath after the first paragraph and a half! This piece is far from the worst I've encountered and what she says is good stuff but FFS, can people in this field not manage plain, simple, vernacular English? It always seems to be encrypted in 'sociospeak', as if those who can't speak the jargon aren't to be granted access to the information or allowed to participate in the debate.

No they cannot but then they have to fight fire with fire. The antis use so much of this language that any plain speaking text would probably be deemed of little intelligent value simply  because the same long pointless words are not used as in their propaganda.

I lose the will to live half way through 

“An anarchist response should demand the eradication of all exploitative practices and not suggest they can be made safer or better.” (Taken from a leaflet handed out by abolitionists at the sex work workshop at the 2011 London Anarchist Bookfair.)

I don't know who authored that leaflet, but the first time I visited Barcelona I was told the anarchist ethos was that people can look at all the facts, assess the risks, and then make their own decisions, ie. they can govern themselves without a government telling them how to think. I think a true anarchist response would be to be given the facts about sex work, and let the people decide for themselves whether sex work can be described as an exploitative practice, and whether any attempts to eradicate it are practical or feasible. A true anarchist would, in my view anyway, see what a failure the Swedish model was/is and plump for more of a German or New Zealand approach to sex workers.

1 person likes this

I love your nick. And to think how many times I've read Mansfield Park without it ever registering...!

Thank you, I would love to know if Austen was making a joke too, I mean Fanny is basically told to marry for money...any experts in early 19th century slang for ladybits on pnet? 

Thank you, I would love to know if Austen was making a joke too, I mean Fanny is basically told to marry for money...any experts in early 19th century slang for ladybits on pnet? 

I believe the slang is more recent that than the name's popularity during the 19th C. Shame.

First citation in the OED 1879 ("You shan't look at my fanny for nothing"). Was no doubt current colloquially for some time before that, but I doubt in the circles Jane Austen moved in.

(I'd always chuckled about the Fanny bit in her name, by the way - and particularly Austen's references in her letters to "my Fanny", but I just hadn't connected it with "Price".)