Bert

Mobile Broadband Dongles

8 posts in this topic

Are these all basically the same ?    I need one to plug into my android tablet and / or laptop.  Is there a special 'android'  type or do they all do the same thing on both windows and android.

Anyone any info ?

Thanks

Use only WiFi dongle will work both android and laptop but the usb dongle is only for laptop or netbook or pc.

1 person likes this

Are these all basically the same ?    I need one to plug into my android tablet and / or laptop.  Is there a special 'android'  type or do they all do the same thing on both windows and android.

Anyone any info ?

Thanks

There is not such thing, as 3g dongle (or mobile internet) for Android tablet. You either buy tablet with 3G capabilities and put data SIM card inside it, or tether it to you phone data plan or through Mifi.

Most of the laptops can access mobile internet, providing you plug special USB dongle there with the Sim card with data. Some laptops have an internal port for Sim card.

I have some "3" mobile dongles that work well on Win7 and four different shades of Linux that work without any tinkering, plus the bonus of not having 18+ content control.

Rather than a dongle, which plugs directly into the port of the connected device, get a mobile wifi hotspot. There are a number of advantages to this...

Firstly, it is a lot easier to use. just connect as you would to any wifi hotspot.

No software is installed on the device using it, so you work as you always do.

It connects to multiple devices, using wifi, so there are no compatibility issues with hardware and software.

If traveling, it can be positioned for optimum reception and signal strength, while you can sit back in your preferred position in comfort.

Hope this helps!

JaB

Rather than a dongle, which plugs directly into the port of the connected device, get a mobile wifi hotspot. There are a number of advantages to this...

Firstly, it is a lot easier to use. just connect as you would to any wifi hotspot.

No software is installed on the device using it, so you work as you always do.

It connects to multiple devices, using wifi, so there are no compatibility issues with hardware and software.

If traveling, it can be positioned for optimum reception and signal strength, while you can sit back in your preferred position in comfort.

Hope this helps!

JaB

Your smartfone can be your hotspot, no?

Your smartfone can be your hotspot, no?

Yes.  I used to use a wifi dongle, but now just use wireless tethering on my phone.

I find it easier from my iphone to either usb tether or have it as a private hotspot, my data works abroad at no extra cost, so I have thephone as a wifi hotspot and then connect my tablet to that.

Android can do wifi hotspots too