Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
starman

Brooke Magnanti on The Book Show, 7pm tonight,

5 posts in this topic

short clip here

http://www.skyarts.co.uk/video/video-belle-de-jour-on-the-book-show/

Magnanti shares the couch with Hilary Mantel, comedian David Mitchell and children's author Eoin Colfer on The Book Show, 7pm tonight, Sky Arts 1/HD.

article in the Times below

Brooke Magnanti 'misses job satisfaction' of Belle de Jour

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article6933348.ece

Just watched this show and it was absolutely fascinating and was an insight into how intelligent girls are able to discuss their job without the stigma that the wider world applies to this type of work. I was full of admiration for her ability to deal with the subject without guilt etc. So many comparable's with the girls here that we all know and love. Lets hope the world takes notice.....and she is Scottish too !!!!

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that she's an ambassador for the sex industry. Can anyone point me to any charitable organisations relating to prostitution to which she has donated a portion of her considerable fortune?

I also don't think she will do very much to change negative stereotypes of prostitution. There will always be prostitutes with drug and other personal problems, and sadly, there will always be more of them than there are educated women who go into the industry by choice. Belle du Jour does not make me look educated and in control of my destiny. The fact that I am educated and in control of my destiny does that job.

She's also spreading the rose-tinted idea that all agents take a third of the girls' money. In my experience it is more like 40% or even more if the agency provides an incall flat.

I think she's a business woman using publicity to earn money, which is a fair enough thing to do. But I also think she is drawing unnecessary attention to the people around her. She works in a hospital and may well attract a press presence there, which is a serious threat to public health and safety. What she does to herself is one thing, all the best to her. But I do think she should consider others.