Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ebonypru

Inside Out - Bbc One - Violent Crimes Against Sex Workers

11 posts in this topic

It's on now.  And will be on Iplayer.

1 person likes this

Inside Out is a regional magazine programme and, as far as I can see, this edition was only aired in London.

It is currently available on iPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03dz4t5/Inside_Out_London_21_10_2013/

The sex worker item is the first item in the programme and runs from approximately 1:14 to 10:16.

Obviously of interest to Londoners, but much of the item covered how police and others are tackling violence against prostitutes in Liverpool. A shame there wasn't the time to cover Manchester's Ugly Mugs Scheme too.

One of the people interviewed was MP Fiona Mactaggart. She mentioned 'prostituted' women, she believes that nearly all WGs are coerced into sex work. She wants to make it illegal for men to pay for sex, as happens in some Scandinavian coutries today including Sweden. That is not going to make women more safe.

2 people like this

One of the people interviewed was MP Fiona Mactaggart. She mentioned 'prostituted' women, she believes that nearly all WGs are coerced into sex work. She wants to make it illegal for men to pay for sex, as happens in some Scandinavian coutries today including Sweden. That is not going to make women more safe.

I was very confused, she seemed quite supportive in the programme, yet I was sure it was her who wanted to criminalise the client and make it more difficult for the women to operate and the industry to be open.

Yes, dreadful woman, one of Harriet Harridans ilk who want to criminalise all punters. Like Harridan she uses guesses as proof to further her anti-prostitution agenda. The facts and evidence as shown by Operations Pentameters 1 and 2 didnt suit these people so they used a figure of 4000 trafficked for sex women to help get Harridans coercion law through in 2009/10. ACPO were using a figure of 2600 trafficked for sex women a year or so ago, again another guess not proved by arrests or convictions. Why not is my question, if its the problem these people say it is why arent i hearing about more evil traffickers and pimps being convicted. Show me the convictions and i will believe, i dont believe guesses.

Yes, it was InsideOut London because those of us in the chat room at the time were watching different versions and talking at cross purposes, which was funny in a dark way.  But with much of the content being from around the country, it could have been a more national item.  

I had thought that London police were more forward thinking in their dealings with sex workers.  

Just shows how crazily misogynist the current law is.

By legalizing only off-street independents, it means that those women who wish to operate within the law, are being punished for that laudable desire, by making them more vulnerable to violent men than would otherwise be the case. SP's have an insane choice of operating legally but potentially dangerously, or illegally but more safely. Bad law.

This is morally wrong, and anyone arguing that criminalising the punter would help, needs to ask themselves the question would the type of man, capable of severe violence towards a vulnerable woman, be the type of bloke scared of a caution for being a punter?

I was very confused, she seemed quite supportive in the programme, yet I was sure it was her who wanted to criminalise the client and make it more difficult for the women to operate and the industry to be open.

Her wikipedia entry is very interesting. She's got herself into a big muddle over statistics, like a lot of the Radical Feminists.

Mactaggart was asked how those criminalised by a new law were supposed to know if a prostitute had been trafficked or not. She replied "I think they can guess, something like 80% of women in prostitution are controlled by their drug dealer, their pimp, or their trafficker." When questioned on her claim she stated that it "came from an official Government publication into prostitution and the sex trade". However, a BBC magazine article states that "it is impossible to find that number in any research done on this subject." The Home Office have also stated that they "do not endorse or use the figure that 80 per cent of prostitutes are controlled by others".

Mactaggart had previously caused controversy with her hard-line approach to the issue of prostitution by comparing men who use prostitutes to abusers of children, stating "I don't think most men who use prostitutes think of themselves as child abusers, but they are".

Her wikipedia entry is very interesting. She's got herself into a big muddle over statistics, like a lot of the Radical Feminists.

Mactaggart was asked how those criminalised by a new law were supposed to know if a prostitute had been trafficked or not. She replied "I think they can guess, something like 80% of women in prostitution are controlled by their drug dealer, their pimp, or their trafficker." When questioned on her claim she stated that it "came from an official Government publication into prostitution and the sex trade". However, a BBC magazine article states that "it is impossible to find that number in any research done on this subject." The Home Office have also stated that they "do not endorse or use the figure that 80 per cent of prostitutes are controlled by others".

Mactaggart had previously caused controversy with her hard-line approach to the issue of prostitution by comparing men who use prostitutes to abusers of children, stating "I don't think most men who use prostitutes think of themselves as child abusers, but they are".

Amazing, and quite concerning that such utter incompetents are in a position of power.

It would be good to see whether the quality of the debate would change if one MP were to speak from experience as a client - or for that matter WG - and point out that seeing all WGs as victims is wrong, and does not help to protect those who actually are. Violence against women in general is horribly common, often against wives and girlfriends, but it's not suggested except by very radical feminists that that violence is inherent in the relationship. Many men, including WG clients, deplore violence against women.

2 people like this

It would be good to see whether the quality of the debate would change if one MP were to speak from experience as a client - or for that matter WG - and point out that seeing all WGs as victims is wrong, and does not help to protect those who actually are. Violence against women in general is horribly common, often against wives and girlfriends, but it's not suggested except by very radical feminists that that violence is inherent in the relationship. Many men, including WG clients, deplore violence against women.

Good post, although I would have finished it with "The vast majority of men, including most WG clients, deplore violence against women".

Edited by Kantos Kan