Jonnybgood

Ransom Trojan Virus. Warning.

14 posts in this topic

Just a warning, this bug is doing the rounds again.

I spent an enjoyable Saturday afternoon getting rid of it from my computer , again.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security that your anti virus software will zap it, it gets past them and can disable security software. 

As soon as the attack started, I turned of the computer and my internet connection and restarted in safe mode. I then ran my anti virus, which found something but C Cleaner and Toolwiz care wouldn't run.

I then restarted in normal mode but the computer was still playing silly buggers and was really slow. I downloaded Malware Bytes, ran it and that got rid of the little bastard.

Be warned.

Just a warning, this bug is doing the rounds again.

I spent an enjoyable Saturday afternoon getting rid of it from my computer , again.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security that your anti virus software will zap it, it gets past them and can disable security software. 

As soon as the attack started, I turned of the computer and my internet connection and restarted in safe mode. I then ran my anti virus, which found something but C Cleaner and Toolwiz care wouldn't run.

I then restarted in normal mode but the computer was still playing silly buggers and was really slow. I downloaded Malware Bytes, ran it and that got rid of the little bastard.

Be warned.

Any idea where you got it from?

I always keep an up to date version of malwarebytes installed on a dedicated data stick.

I find if I run that in safe mode it usually fixes stuff.

If necessary I update the malwarebytes using another computer before running.

Run malwarebytes once a month.  But it takes a fair while to run.

Speaking from a position of complacent ignorance, isn't a fail anti virus that lets something like that through?

Obviously touching wood still on the tree, I can say i haven't had such a problem but I do pay £40 a year for my software.

Speaking from a position of complacent ignorance, isn't a fail anti virus that lets something like that through?

Obviously touching wood still on the tree, I can say i haven't had such a problem but I do pay £40 a year for my software.

Yes it is a failure.  But the risk is a new threat that is distributed before the virus people write the stuff that will clear it.

another factor is when your virus checker last updated itself.  And has a user in some way stopped it updating itself.

Thanks. Again just making interested conversation but you would think that if a virus has free rein to cause havoc until the anti virus people have noticed it, analysed it and written the defence against it let alone before everyone has updated their defences.

I see it has to be that way but makes it surprising more doesn't get through.

Thanks. Again just making interested conversation but you would think that if a virus has free rein to cause havoc until the anti virus people have noticed it, analysed it and written the defence against it let alone before everyone has updated their defences.

I see it has to be that way but makes it surprising more doesn't get through.

virus checkers dont look for a specific virus.  They look for patterns in the files to see if there are known patterns indiocating a possible threat.  So most infections are caught with no change to the checker.  Only when a clever new way of attack is created does the virus checker need updating.

Tried to keep that simple.  sorry if too facile.

virus checkers dont look for a specific virus.  They look for patterns in the files to see if there are known patterns indiocating a possible threat.  So most infections are caught with no change to the checker.  Only when a clever new way of attack is created does the virus checker need updating.

Tried to keep that simple.  sorry if too facile.

Googles "facile" ;)

Any idea where you got it from?

I think because its a Trojan, it piggybacks onto your computer and waits for something to trigger it into action.

The first time it happened, earlier this year, I was on here looking at a girls profile. This time around I was on the London Transport site when it was triggered.

The first time it happened a screen came up with the Met. police logo and a picture of a policeman and a message saying I was on a banned site and my computer was locked, that I would need to download some software to unlock it costing £200. This time I had all that plus the Cheshire police logo.

Viv. I've read that this virus can destroy anti virus software. I have an app that warns me when something wants to be added to the start menu and its meant to have my permission before it does so, anyway when this virus started loading, I was warned that something was been added to the start menu without my permission and looking at the speed and how much was added, I think my anti virus was just overwhelmed.

Malware bytes took over an hour to run, it was worth it.

I had this bastard of a virus a couple of years ago. It took me ages to get rid of it - I eventually joined one of the anti-virus communities out there and they nominated me an advisor who walked me through a tortuous process to clean my PC. Malware Bytes featured in the solution somewhere. Thank god for that advisor, that's all I can say. All free of charge as well.

If the bloody thing is back, is a pre-emptive scan by Malware Bytes recommended ?

I had this bastard of a virus a couple of years ago. It took me ages to get rid of it - I eventually joined one of the anti-virus communities out there and they nominated me an advisor who walked me through a tortuous process to clean my PC. Malware Bytes featured in the solution somewhere. Thank god for that advisor, that's all I can say. All free of charge as well.

If the bloody thing is back, is a pre-emptive scan by Malware Bytes recommended ?

Yes.

I have taken tips from this thread with thanks and downloaded the free version of malwarebytes onto a stick and run it on quick scan.

It brought up about 60 items.

The whole this is free but this pro one costs but is better is a bit commercial and I would have been amazed therefore if it didn't show up instances of malware to entice me to buy the pro version.

But comments above belie this attitude so I will look to keep it available in case of problems.

Thanks for the heads up

This bastard virus completely derailed my laptop on Sunday. I went thru' all the usual remedy course of actions, including booting in safe mode, restoring the system back a few weeks etc etc. I could not get rid of the bastard. Net result I was without the laptop Monday & Tuesday and it cost me £70 to get is properly zapped as I could not afford any more time dicking about myself.

BTW I have been paying £40 every year for Norton Anti-Virus............not anymore. I'm saving the £40 and will be using the free AVG anti-virus software. I appreciate none of these products are completely failproof but from what I'm hearing AVG is just as good as Norton, is quieter on the computer, takes up less resource & is as free as a 5 knuckle shuffle! ^_^