BigLarry

Is Punting A "rite Of Passage"?

18 posts in this topic

rite of passage

n. pl. rites of passage

A ritual or ceremony signifying an event in a person's life indicative of a transition from one stage to another, as from adolescence to adulthood.

I guess it depends. I don't think for me it marked a particular transition (apart maybe from richer to poorer lol). It was a significant event in my life though.

Not really. I suspect it is a minority interest

If a girl offers A level does it become a "Rite of Back Passage"??

:)

Depends on the guy of course. Some like a few mates of mine would never admit to ever having done so or would never consider paying for sex with a WG. To them thats for saddos. IMO its them thats mssing out big time but up to them of course. So it might be a rite of passage for some guys, not many though is my unprovable view.

I don't know, as has been said it depends on the individual. If circumstances had been different, I might never have started punting. Yet despite that, I don't regret having done so.

It's far too cloaked in secrecy to be a rite of passage in the broad usage of the expression, which generally implies an experience shared by almost all your peers. Of course maybe it is the latter but we have no way of knowing.

I'm not sure this was meant to be taken seriously as a question.  I reckon BigLarry was making a joke along similar lines to partylover's one in reply #4.  I can't see any sense in which punting could actually be considered a rite of passage.

1 person likes this

I think it is unlikely for many who indulge. 

A rite of passage implies something that happens to the majority of people, like learning to drive. I wouldn't have thought punting qualified as something undertaken by the majority.

A recent thread on here came to the conclusion that somwhere around one in ten of the "eligible: men in the UK were probably punters.

This makes it popular pastime in the same category as Golf or fishing. Now try suggesting that fishing is a "right of passage".

A recent thread on here came to the conclusion that somwhere around one in ten of the "eligible: men in the UK were probably punters.

This makes it popular pastime in the same category as Golf or fishing. Now try suggesting that fishing is a "right of passage".

Some posters gave their own totally unprovable opinions that somewhere around 1 in 10 were probably punters on thread in fact, others disagreed with those figures, i have no idea as no else does in reality how many men punt. Its for many a totally secret thing so its guess work ultimately in my view. So for me it doesnt make it as popular as Golf or Fishing, it could be more popular, it could be less popular in my opinion.

rite of passage? how exactly?

I'd say it's simply a hobby.  and like any hobby it's done for pleasure or to make one at ease or to ground people.

Some posters gave their own totally unprovable opinions that somewhere around 1 in 10 were probably punters on thread in fact, others disagreed with those figures, i have no idea as no else does in reality how many men punt. Its for many a totally secret thing so its guess work ultimately in my view. So for me it doesnt make it as popular as Golf or Fishing, it could be more popular, it could be less popular in my opinion.

Given the amount of working girls advertising and assuming that most get to see at least two clients a week I think it's probably a bit higher than 1 in 10, but do think it's a hobby rather than a right of passage.

Given the amount of working girls advertising and assuming that most get to see at least two clients a week I think it's probably a bit higher than 1 in 10, but do think it's a hobby rather than a right of passage.

That was my point Holly, you think, you dont know as no one knows. That thread didnt come to that conclusion, posters simply gave their own opinions and some differed from each other. Its certainly a hobby for me, and has never been a rite of passage. :)

I think so. Not every man, but most men would fare better if they knew what there is on this side of the fence.

I regret not having started earlier.