chrisintcov

Which Brand Of Mouthwash

47 posts in this topic

do you ladies prefer your clients to use. I've been using Listerine but there is quite an antiseptic taste to it. Or can I just suck a couple of polo mints before my chosen sp arrives?

Thanks

its up to you i suppose... i personally have no preference on what mouthwash a client chooses to use, and if you want to suck a few mints then thats up to you... as long as their teeth are clean and breath smells good, im happy!!

i tend to use cordosil daily... its alchohol free (so my mouth can still get nice and wet) and has quite a nice minty taste, i also chew a mint or two just before the booking starts.... your breath can never be too fresh eh!!

so maybe you could do both!!! :P xx

Brushing your teeth and tongue would be best, really. "Clean" is more appetising than antiseptic or minty.

its up to you i suppose... i personally have no preference on what mouthwash a client chooses to use, and if you want to suck a few mints then thats up to you... as long as their teeth are clean and breath smells good, im happy!!

i tend to use cordosil daily... its alchohol free (so my mouth can still get nice and wet) and has quite a nice minty taste, i also chew a mint or two just before the booking starts.... your breath can never be too fresh eh!!

so maybe you could do both!!! :P xx

careful with corsodyl, it can stain your teeth.

I think once a week with corsodyl, and use listerine the rest of the time.

Brushing your teeth and tongue would be best, really. "Clean" is more appetising than antiseptic or minty.

dont brush your teeth less than 2-3 hours before a punt.  any damage to gums can make a route for infections (i am thinking minor ones, not STI's here) to get into your blood.  This is if you are going to do RO...

3 people like this

hehe!! the antiseptic one makes my teeth a funny tint of colour if i use it too often but ive never had that problem with the daily one!!

i find i can never get my mouth wet enough to do a good job if i use listerine though :( xx

dont brush your teeth less than 2-3 hours before a punt.  any damage to gums can make a route for infections (i am thinking minor ones, not STI's here) to get into your blood.  This is if you are going to do RO...

I seem to remember reading that it's best to use an alcohol free mouthwash as the alcohol can make your gums more susceptible to picking up infections?  Maybe wrong but in any case I use Colgate Plax alcohol free anti-bacterial mouthwash.  Nice and minty and the effects last quite well.  I've had no complaints so far

PS: you have me worried now CP.  I always brush my teeth at the last possible moment before leaving home for the punt.  And I never punt more than 45 minutes away!

Edited by bean57

careful with corsodyl, it can stain your teeth.

I think once a week with corsodyl, and use listerine the rest of the time.

The regular Corsodyl can stain your teeth - but I've used Corsodyl daily for a while now (as it's alcohol free) and haven't had any problems. Edited by Burty

Spot on, brushing can cause damage to gums and through damage to gums infection can get into the body. I use alcohol free mouthwash and have fresh breath spray instead of carrying mints.

1 person likes this

I have been a Listerene guy for several years. You can buy alcohol free versions if it matters to you.

Exactly. I don't want to kiss somebody who may have traces of blood in their mouth which could pass something on, and I'm even less keen on the idea of them putting it anywhere near my pompom.

I get my alcohol free mouthwash form Wilkos :).

As I am new to punting, is mouthwash something that is expected? I know good mouth hygiene is expected, but I must honestly say i only brush my teeth and tongue. But guess i have to get a mouthwash before my visit then.  

J

Which other "minor infections", if not STIs? Of course you can get salmonella or listeria off a supermarket lettuce leaf, no need for oral. As for colds and flu, you're more likely to catch those during DFK, not oral sex. Apparently, there are more putrefaction bacteria in a human mouth than in a dog's. Mouthwash and antiseptic destroys not just the "bad" bacteria, but also the good, therefore compromising your oral health, not improving it. I always brush my teeth just before I apply my lipstick, half an hour before an appointment, and my throat swabs have NEVER shown up anything nasty. On that basis, I will continue to clean my teeth before a date.

1 person likes this

I don't use mouthwash to 'improve oral health', I use it because brushing my teeth immediately prior to working (and dating is a different thing entirely) slightly increases the likelihood of picking up bugs, so I prefer not to do so.

If I've been drinking tea or coffee, or just had lunch or whatever it freshens my mouth and makes kissing and suchlike more pleasant. There isn't any other reason to use it, as far as I know and the alcoholic ones especially can make a real mess of the membranes inside your mouth if you overdo it.

just a little point.  If you overdo it with the mouthwash prior to going down on a girl you could increase her risk of getting a yeast infection.

If you maintain a rigorous daily dental hygiene regimen and brush and floss your teeth properly the gums should never bleed.  Sensodyne mouthwash, used only at night will coat the teeth with fluoride and adds a protective layer.  Noted upthread, the alcohol based stuff erodes the enamel and causes staining.  

As MUschi mentioned, putrefying content is absorbed into the blood stream and can even cause heart disease as an infection may take hold anywhere in the body.  Stomach upsets are frequently caused by poor attention to oral health.  One of the first things you will be told if you have a severe condition with an internal organ: liver, heart, kidneys, or you have cancer or an immune disorder, is to observe strict oral hygiene.  

Five whole minutes, twice a day to brush and floss.  Four annual visits to the dental hygienist and two to the dentist.  Your gums will never bleed and your breath will not smell, unless you smoke.  

Edited by WhilstNeroplays

If you maintain a rigorous daily dental hygiene regimen and brush and floss your teeth properly the gums should never bleed.  Sensodyne mouthwash, used only at night will coat the teeth with fluoride and adds a protective layer.  Noted upthread, the alcohol based stuff erodes the enamel and causes staining.  

As MUschi mentioned, putrefying content is absorbed into the blood stream and can even cause heart disease as an infection may take hold anywhere in the body.  Stomach upsets are frequently caused by poor attention to oral health.  One of the first things you will be told if you have a severe condition with an internal organ: liver, heart, kidneys, or you have cancer or an immune disorder, is to observe strict oral hygiene.  

Five whole minutes, twice a day to brush and floss.  Four annual visits to the dental hygienist and two to the dentist.  Your gums will never bleed and your breath will not smell, unless you smoke.  

Gum disease or gingivitis/paradontose very rarely related to smoking. (though if you already got it, smoking might make it worse)

) Majority of the times its a hereditary, as well it can be triggered by diabetes, stress, various kinds of drugs (including the legal ones), high blood pressure, and alcohol consumption.

Once you've got it its almost incurable unfortunately. There are various and VERY costly treatments to delay process, but never fully to stop it. Hence so many people are refused tooth implants, because the bones in the jaw are rotted away by gingivitis and not strong enough to take an implant as they might require years of treatment and bone grafting even before for implant to be inserted, without any guarantee at all that after 4-7 months the bone tissue will grow around it.

Still: If anybody suffer with it: my advise: (apart  of the obvious mouth/gym hygiene).

First: H2O2.  Hydrogen Peroxide. 9% solution, Use it as a mouthwash. You can not buy it in chemists in UK (ASFAIK), but you can buy it on Ebay, or on prescription from the dentist.

Second: Oral Irrigator.  Much more superior the  flossing. Here is the on one on Amazon for example.

Third: Cottage cheese smothered with brandy... for a breakfast.

There a few more, I will post it later.

I remember being amazed to read years ago that there is a strong link between poor oral hygiene and heart disease.  It's not something anyone would naturally think about

I don't stick to any specific brand I just pick up whatever's on offer or whatever the cheapest is. As long as it's alcohol free and isn't the supermarket's own brand.

I don't stick to any specific brand I just pick up whatever's on offer or whatever the cheapest is. As long as it's alcohol free and isn't the supermarket's own brand.

You are very limited in choice in then. As far as I know the only branded mouth washes which is alcohol free and widely available in shops/chemists/supermarket its Listertine Zero, Corsydyl (all of them), Colgate Guard and Wisdom Quantum.

All supermarkets do theirs own versions of the alcohol free mouthwash. Why don't you trust them? If you read the list of the active ingredients, (first 4) most of them are exactly the same as a branded products.

Have you ever turned down a client because of bad dental hygiene? Or maybe just not offered DFK?

J

Gum disease or gingivitis/paradontose very rarely related to smoking. (though if you already got it, smoking might make it worse)

) Majority of the times its a hereditary, as well it can be triggered by diabetes, stress, various kinds of drugs (including the legal ones), high blood pressure, and alcohol consumption.

Once you've got it its almost incurable unfortunately. There are various and VERY costly treatments to delay process, but never fully to stop it. Hence so many people are refused tooth implants, because the bones in the jaw are rotted away by gingivitis and not strong enough to take an implant as they might require years of treatment and bone grafting even before for implant to be inserted, without any guarantee at all that after 4-7 months the bone tissue will grow around it.

Still: If anybody suffer with it: my advise: (apart  of the obvious mouth/gym hygiene).

First: H2O2.  Hydrogen Peroxide. 9% solution, Use it as a mouthwash. You can not buy it in chemists in UK (ASFAIK), but you can buy it on Ebay, or on prescription from the dentist.

Second: Oral Irrigator.  Much more superior the  flossing. Here is the on one on Amazon for example.

Third: Cottage cheese smothered with brandy... for a breakfast.

There a few more, I will post it later.

Not quite.  I'm afraid you're wrong on several issues, Xenia.  Gingivitis is easily cured with penicillin-based antibiotics like erythromycin, amoxicyllin, and chlorhexidine for early onset peridontal disease. Tetracyclines like doxycycline are used to combat the advanced stages of peridontal disease.  Smoking WILL exacerbate any oral disease and is frequently diagnosed as causal.  It dries out the mouth and reduces the flow of saliva which is the body's natural defence.  Dry mouth as a secondary condition, caused by immune disorders, Sjögren's and the side effects of anti-depressive and anxyolitic medication can be treated with a variety of proprietary salivary stimulating preparations.  

The principal etiology of gingivitis, which precedes the onset of periodontitis, is poor oral hygiene.  You are right when you say that implants are refused to those with advanced stages of periodontitis as the sub-gingival infections below the gum line in the periodontal pockets become increasingly resistant to treatment particularly in the tertiary stages when the infection has reached the bone.  The disorder is NOT hereditary, but is subject to genetic susceptibility in patients with conditions like diabetes.  While you are right that periodontitis is often incurable, it can be stabilised and NHS treatment is available to prevent further deterioration using descaling and debridement. Surgical techniques include osseous surgery, guided tissue regeneration and bone grafting. These are more expensive as you point out, but are available as NHS treatments. 

In support of the above I hold a doctorate in a scientific discipline. although I am NOT a doctor of medicine.  While working for a government department I prepared a report for submission to the Chief Medical Officer, with the help of numerous national dental experts with responsibility for strategic health management.  Due to my military background I was deployed in several active service environments including Camp Bastion to deliver a training programme to troops surrounding the importance of oral hygiene in the field, and to conduct a dental health needs assessment for service personnel.  I still have my lecture and presentation notes somewhere, hence my knowledge.   

Now, as you were  ^_^

3 people like this

And I can't edit my earlier misspelling of amoxicillin.  Tsk, tsk.  

I don't use mouthwash but I do question Xenia's suggestion of Hydrogen Peroxide 9% as a mouthwash.  Are you sure this is right?  9% seems almost toxic to me