Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
porker paul

France

10 posts in this topic

Twice I tried to connect to the link and twice it jammed up the computer leaving the only option to switch of at the main won't try again

Oldun

Twice I tried to connect to the link and twice it jammed up the computer leaving the only option to switch of at the main won't try again

Oldun

Sorry about that. Does your machine have some sort of allergy to foreign pages? (That is a serious question BTW though not too well phrased). I know that some systems have controls to prevent foreign viewing.

I just checked and it works just fine for me.

Edited by porker paul

No Paul never had any trouble with foreign pages even far east, don't think much of the french myself but thats another thing.

Oldun

Your link works fine here porker paul. And very interesting too.

Lemonde has a one-sided article about the debate in France, containing the chilling line: "La violence est inhérente à l'activité prostitutionnelle"

Well no Lemonde, you're actually wrong - paid consensual sexy time between adults is what is inherent to prostitutes' activities. The nasty violent bits are add-ons to be always vigilant about, but they are not inherent to being on the game, and they can be minimised with licensing and good regulation and sympathetic policing.

La France rejoices in liberte, egalite, and fraternite - they are like the British in more ways than we know, with our views on free and consensual trade proposed by Adam Smith. It's a margin call but I'm optimistic their MPs or deputies will not follow the Swedish model.

1 person likes this

The French Parliament has been debating this week:

The ibtimes and france24 think that it is more than 50% likely that they will vote to criminalise the purchase of sex: "a parliamentary majority will likely adopt it in the coming week" according to france 24.

However polls of the public suggest support for criminalising the punter at around 33% and as low as 22% with the FT saying "a recent TNS Sofres poll showed just 22 per cent public support for targeting the client"

There will be a vote on Wednesday ( Dec 4th ) - who will win? Public opinion which is liberal - this is France, the country of international cooperation,fraternite, liberte, and egalite. Or will politicians' opinion win through - a segment of society which usually has patrician attitudes who historically would rather ban people from enjoying themselves as long as they do not harm others, than risk the consequences.

I'm going for a win for the liberals - human beings, even the political class, are amazing when they work things through together - but this one looks like being really close.

Damn, I'll be in France soon. Better have a punt before the ban then.

I can't believe it - my understanding of how the political class operates and their accountability to the electorate is fatally flawed.

I'm still convinced that French people are liberal and tolerant and the polls showed this.

But their politicians have voted to criminalise purchasing sex, and decriminalise soliciting.

Free-market economies with prudent regulation are massive success stories - but deciding what is the right level of regulation and to apply it is HARD WORK. But that's what politicians are supposed to do. Making good laws isn't meant to be easy - it's a 100k+ Euro a year job. France seems to have a particular problem with high % of foreigners controlling/coercing women on the game. But the French deputies have taken the easy way which doesn't involve any research or tackling the problem face on.

The liberal view will win out eventually imv, but it looks like it is down to other places now to lead the way.

The Senate/Upper house is likely to reject it leaving it upto a mix of 50% MPs and 50% Senators to make a compromise law!

Re a disconnect between the French people and their intensely arrogant political class on this one, well it's hardly a surprise given that the French president can appoint as Prime minister, somebody who has never been elected to any office at all and they have done this at least once! Some democracy, ha?