Carter Hall

Punternet Website

27 posts in this topic

In it's been in place for a bit now so I was wondering how people are reacting to the new Punternet UK website.  Are people finding it better or worse than the old one?  Are there features that have disappeared or appeared that you like/dislike?

For my own part I find I use the website a bit less now and when I do look at it I go first to the Forums.  I used to like reading through the ads by WGs but these appear to have now been combined with the old calendar and I find that far less user friendly.  Of course, you can search for much of what you want but I enjoyed surprising myself by just reading through the services/talents on offer on the olf old ads - you often found an ad about something you had not expected to interest you!

How are other people finding the 'new' Punternet UK?

Generally I'm happy.

Where I do find some 'less than before' service is with the ability to look with ease at Field Reports of up to a month or so.

The trade off I apprehend is that FRs are updated more frequently.

I can only think this is a move to the best. And that it lies with me, the reader, to so specify his search, in order to see what he's already missed or where he could next divert his lust.

Uncle Pokey

Miss the default setting for reviews. Also much more difficult to move from one review to another. Hope the pop up when clicking date has now gone permanently

The site has gone from looking that it was made in 1997 - to something that was made in 2000

some upgrade

I'm not bothered though one way or another - I like old styles

The site has gone from looking that it was made in 1997 - to something that was made in 2000

some upgrade

I'm not bothered though one way or another - I like old styles

I'm with you there. I I liked the old style. It's a bit like when a supermarket with a familiar layout moves stuff about - takes twice as long to find what you need for quite some time.

The most annoying bit is needing to reload the search results every time after reading an FR!

I'm using google chrome!

The most annoying bit is needing to reload the search results every time after reading an FR!

I'm using google chrome!

Have you tried clicking on the "return to search results" link rather than using your Back button?

You can also right-click a review to open it in a new tab or window and leave your search results undisturbed.

Have you tried clicking on the "return to search results" link rather than using your Back button?

You can also right-click a review to open it in a new tab or window and leave your search results undisturbed.

That works! Cheers.

Plus la change.

There was a change to the forum software as well, if you recall? Now we are all happy. I can express one opinion: its far more useable than Mumsnet!

1 person likes this

That works! Cheers.

You can also hold the Ctrl key and click to open a new tab - I find it less fiddly than right click. Just run down the list holding the Ctrl key, clicking any reports that look interesting - then read through all the open tabs. Voila.

Also worked with the old website as well...

1 person likes this

Different question - but this seems the most relevant place to post it (short of starting a new thread).

If I try to log in to the forum on my (Android) phone, using Chrome and an incognito window, I get "username or password incorrect". I'm using Chrome and an incognito window on my desktop now. Any ideas? I've tried numerous times, and carefully type the password each time.

Thanks

V V

Make sure your browser is not blocking cookies, those are needed to preserve your login session.

Also, passwords are case sensitive.

The quote and multi quote functions in posts aren't working for me at the moment. If I click on them, I'm sent to the general reply box. Any idea why?

You can also hold the Ctrl key and click to open a new tab - I find it less fiddly than right click. Just run down the list holding the Ctrl key, clicking any reports that look interesting - then read through all the open tabs. Voila.

Also worked with the old website as well...

Or failing that, assuming a 3button mouse (wheel) just click the middle button.

The quote and multi quote functions in posts aren't working for me at the moment. If I click on them, I'm sent to the general reply box. Any idea why?

Same here, reference post 13.

Multiquote is working here.

What browser are you using? Have you tried clearing your cache and reloading the page?

Internet explorer, which upgraded itself last week, could be the problem. I clear my computer of cookies every day.

Just checked my ipad and the quote feature works okay.

Make sure your browser is not blocking cookies, those are needed to preserve your login session.

Also, passwords are case sensitive.

I've checked, and Chrome incognito windows do not block cookies by default, although I would have thought that preserving the session means that I have to be able to log-in in the first place?

I've since tried the Android stock browser in incognito mode with the same result.

I'm aware that passwords are case sensitive (except in the case of some versions of Sage accounts to my knowledge!) - I'm fairly IT literate.

Any more suggestions? Anyone else successfully using Android on a mobile?

Thanks

I have always found the site possibly the best online punting resourse in the UK.

Having been away for a while, my only niggle is the new reputation points.

Today I noticed that my reputation has been reduced by one user, and I cannot understand what his problem is.

So, I have taken the action of marking all his posts down as a childish retaliation lol

and I will continue to do so each time I log in.

Yes it sounds childish and silly, yet if the system is open to abuse, and some ppl want to be funny then its just going to encourage this behaviour I feel.

Thank you :ph34r:

1 person likes this

Puntaprima: apologies - just voted a post of yours down by accident when I went to see why someone should bother to do that! It's easily done and I shall make amends swiftly before you embark on a similar campaign with me :unsure:

1 person likes this

Puntaprima: apologies - just voted a post of yours down by accident when I went to see why someone should bother to do that! It's easily done and I shall make amends swiftly before you embark on a similar campaign with me :unsure:

Thank you Be. :)  --- though Im not after collecting reputation as I think its irrelivant. I certainly would not take revenge on just anyone who genuinely disagrees with a particular post with reason... and I was specifically on about the actions of one particular newish forum member who just decided to dish out his '3 daily negs'  against me for no apparent reason. :unsure: 

I suppose this, being an open and free speaking forum [to some extent] which now gives users the ability to up or down posts, will give some the right to abuse it for whatever their own ends are.

You are definately in the clear of my daily 3 down votes :)  [for now]  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  !!!

I have always found the site possibly the best online punting resourse in the UK.

Having been away for a while, my only niggle is the new reputation points.

Today I noticed that my reputation has been reduced by one user, and I cannot understand what his problem is.

So, I have taken the action of marking all his posts down as a childish retaliation lol

and I will continue to do so each time I log in.

Yes it sounds childish and silly, yet if the system is open to abuse, and some ppl want to be funny then its just going to encourage this behaviour I feel.

Thank you :ph34r:

Take a ganders at the VOTING POSTS thread, its a jolly funny read. Don't worry if one person is voting you down, it was a secret voting system at first and there were ahem "certain parties" voting certain people down all the time even if the posted so much as a smiley lol. Then G made the voters publicly viewable …then the thread happened.  :cool:

2 people like this

Take a ganders at the VOTING POSTS thread, its a jolly funny read. Don't worry if one person is voting you down, it was a secret voting system at first and there were ahem "certain parties" voting certain people down all the time even if the posted so much as a smiley lol. Then G made the voters publicly viewable …then the thread happened.  :cool:

LOL, well me being a child @ heart, I will carry on punishing the said offender untill he messages me explaining why he started his stupid antics... He's now down to ZERO, so no doubt I expect he'll retaliate :D :D :D

Who cares about Rep anyway ?? - If members of this forum take time to post useful info that will help others, and its ignored because of Low Rep points, then its their loss I guess :cool:

Personally I am a little disappointed the 'interesting statistics' element of the old site has not yet been revivied.

i thought I understood it would be once more important elements of the new site had bedded in but unless I am mistaken, that seems to be largely sorted out now?

Personally I am a little disappointed the 'interesting statistics' element of the old site has not yet been revivied.

i thought I understood it would be once more important elements of the new site had bedded in but unless I am mistaken, that seems to be largely sorted out now?

I will give Galahad a nudge.