Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Williams

imac and virus guard

5 posts in this topic

It's finally happened. Said good-bye to the windows pc and got a shiny new imac last week.

So, first question (of many, I guess). My ISP is BT and I get McAfee net protect as part of the deal. If I download this onto the imac, will it actually do anything?

From the little I've read it seems Macs are less prone to viruses but just as vulnerable to trojans, would you agree with this?

Cheers

It's finally happened. Said good-bye to the windows pc and got a shiny new imac last week.

So, first question (of many, I guess). My ISP is BT and I get McAfee net protect as part of the deal. If I download this onto the imac, will it actually do anything?

From the little I've read it seems Macs are less prone to viruses but just as vulnerable to trojans, would you agree with this?

I've run a network of Macs for 15 years with no "Virus Protection" and never suffered anything.

Apart from the fact that most viruses are designed to exploit Windows, Mac OSX has the simple safeguard (belatedly adopted by Microsoft in Vista onwards) that files cannot be written/deleted/modified in the System without you typing in an Administrator password.

What Vin Daloo said. Get rid of any virus protection. There are no true self-replicating viral infections for OSX. There are, IIRC, two trojans in the wild and you're only likely to become infected if you've been downloading Adobe CS4 from warez sites and using a serial key-generator - it will install a botnet so the threat is minimal.

Welcome to the exclusive Mac owners club. :o

5 years with macs - no protection (bareback?) and no problems. I do have XP installed on it as well but hardly use it but occasionally one has to (find it really irritating after Mac OS) so only have free Avasti on there.