kirky

Skye Fibre Broadband

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone had any experience of Skye fibre broadband. I'm thinking of changing to super fibre pro and the the Skye agent tells me that unlike BT the new router from Skye doesn't need a home visit to set fibre up, it is all done within the box.

Grateful for any advice/experience

R

Update

I actually signed up with BT for fibre some weeks ago, but they "lost" my order and were most unhelpful when I spoke to them about it. That and the fact that others in my area of Glasgow are suffering from dropouts made me have a look at Sky.

Sky's new box doesn't require a home visit they tell me, the engineer does everything from the box in the street. Downside is that reviews of the Sky box tend to be unfavourable - in particular the Wi-fi seems to be dodgy. I'm still trying to make up my mind

Just wondered if anyone had any experiences with Sky.

They use different technologies Kirky.  It sounds like BT Infinity is using FTTP (Fibre to the premises) in your area which will future proof you as they run four fibre cables to your home but requires the house to be visited.  Sky will be using the "unbundled" element that BT will give them access to which FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet).  This means you will have fibre running from the exchange to your local cabinet (green box on the street) and the journey from the cabinet to the house will still be old copper.  

FTTC is therefore much cheaper and easier to roll out but limited in speed by the copper.  FTTP requires the inconvenience of a home visit but runs much faster.  I am a "pilot" case in Milton Keynes as I live in an area they consider ideal for piloting new technologies.  My internet speeds with FTTP are ridiculous.  When doing "normal customer" mode I get 79.95 megabits down/20 megabits up but I could have opted for 160/40.  The last trial I was in I got 504/300.  I've been invited to do another 6 month trial for 2gigs down and up and they are happy that my usage and setup at home is good enough to put enough stress for the trial....

In short, I would still go with BT even though their customer service is awful and incompetent, but that is another story as the tech is sound and future proof.

I recently upgraded to BT Infinity 2 with FTTC and get 77+ down and 18+ up, which I think is pretty good.  WiFI is always a bit hit and miss as the signal can be affected by so many things.  Homeplug is better than wifi.

I have BT Infinity FTTC and it does require a visit to your property, they have to make changes to the main socket.

Update

I actually signed up with BT for fibre some weeks ago, but they "lost" my order and were most unhelpful when I spoke to them about it. That and the fact that others in my area of Glasgow are suffering from dropouts made me have a look at Sky.

Sky's new box doesn't require a home visit they tell me, the engineer does everything from the box in the street. Downside is that reviews of the Sky box tend to be unfavourable - in particular the Wi-fi seems to be dodgy. I'm still trying to make up my mind

Just wondered if anyone had any experiences with Sky.

Interesting re the drop outs, I have BT Infinity and 3 months in the drop outs started but BT say it's a problem at my end not theirs and I just put up with 2-3 drop outs per hour. Wifi tends to cut the speed in half, and home plugs aren't much better. The only way to get true speed is to connect a LAN cable which isn't alway convenient or possible. I upgraded home plugs and wireless card in an effort to improve the situation, but it hardly made any difference. The drop outs occur whether I'm connected by LAN cable, or using wifi or home plugs.

They use different technologies Kirky.  It sounds like BT Infinity is using FTTP (Fibre to the premises) in your area which will future proof you as they run four fibre cables to your home but requires the house to be visited.  Sky will be using the "unbundled" element that BT will give them access to which FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet).  This means you will have fibre running from the exchange to your local cabinet (green box on the street) and the journey from the cabinet to the house will still be old copper.  

FTTC is therefore much cheaper and easier to roll out but limited in speed by the copper.  FTTP requires the inconvenience of a home visit but runs much faster.  I am a "pilot" case in Milton Keynes as I live in an area they consider ideal for piloting new technologies.  My internet speeds with FTTP are ridiculous.  When doing "normal customer" mode I get 79.95 megabits down/20 megabits up but I could have opted for 160/40.  The last trial I was in I got 504/300.  I've been invited to do another 6 month trial for 2gigs down and up and they are happy that my usage and setup at home is good enough to put enough stress for the trial....

In short, I would still go with BT even though their customer service is awful and incompetent, but that is another story as the tech is sound and future proof.

FTTC does require a visit to the property, they make changes to the main socket

I also have installed BT Infity (FTTC).

BT Engineer visited premises as a new box is required to convert signal (MPLS I think) then you have the standard BT Hub.

Speeds can vary depedent upon loading on the system and how far you are away from the Cabinet, but I always seem to get 78Mbps, more at quiter times

OP would be better off going to   

thinkbroadband.com

as some of the stuff above is just so wrong ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Most of guys ( but not all ) really do know there stuff .

I've been on Sky Fibre for 13 months now and had no serious issues. Connection is stable around 37Mbps and only had occasional dropouts.

DG