Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irgendeiner

Di Kevin Hyland Mps

30 posts in this topic

I see that our old friend is back in the headlines again, this time as a good guy, liberating three non-sex slaves in Lambeth. Not having heard of him for a year or more I'd rather hoped that he'd retired to Spain with his pension, or been run over by a bus, but, no....

Strange story - will it go quiet, or will we be treated to more headlines?

After their All Punters Are Rapists poster campaign last year, I can't wait to see the next set of billboards from Lambeth council after this.

I expect at the very least some stark silhouettes of somebody pushing a Dyson around, accompanied by solemn warnings about how anybody employing or even thinking about employing a cleaning lady is probably the scum of the earth and should be chased with burning torches.

4 people like this

If the couple who held the women captive are British, white and Christian, it will go quite; we will be treated to more headlines in direct proportion to how far the couple are immigrant, non-white and/or Muslim.

1 person likes this

I find it bordering on impossible to believe that anyone can keep a person (let alone three) locked up for 30 years without somebody knowing about it.

If the couple who held the women captive are British, white and Christian, it will go quite; we will be treated to more headlines in direct proportion to how far the couple are immigrant, non-white and/or Muslim.

I heard a quote that they are "foreign" so the story could run and run.  Just wait till there is enough info in the public domain for the Daily Wail to get fired up with its usual level of bigotry.

I see that our old friend is back in the headlines again, this time as a good guy, liberating three non-sex slaves in Lambeth. Not having heard of him for a year or more I'd rather hoped that he'd retired to Spain with his pension, or been run over by a bus, but, no....

I have seen Hyland on the TV a couple of times this year, he is of course the Met face of anything they view as Exploititive or Trafficking linked.

I hope this awful case gets coverage as that might help other people in the same situation come forward, and the net or TV coverage appears to have helped these three poor women contact the charity who really helped and is continuing to help and support them.

I also hope if these women were held as slaves against their wills and proved to have been so their captors are prosecuted and if found guilty given very long prison sentences.

3 people like this

I have seen Hyland on the TV a couple of times this year, he is of course the Met face of anything they view as Exploititive or Trafficking linked.

I hope this awful case gets coverage as that might help other people in the same situation come forward, and the net or TV coverage appears to have helped these three poor women contact the charity who really helped and is continuing to help and support them.

I also hope if these women were held as slaves against their wills and proved to have been so their captors are prosecuted and if found guilty given very long prison sentences.

Seems the captors are not British, and have been interviewed by police before.

Well I hope after their prison sentences they get put straight on a plane and sent back from whence they came.

and WTF are they doing on bail?

I find it bordering on impossible to believe that anyone can keep a person (let alone three) locked up for 30 years without somebody knowing about it.

All the women were foreign and would be easy enough to control with fear. This happens to some extent in the Asian and now Migrant communities. The police and support groups can't get through because of cultural and language difficulties. Instead they prefer to chase the sex trafficking bogeyman. It makes better headlines I suppose.

One of the biggest problems I have with this is that everybody - police, media, jumping on the bandwagon politicians etc etc - assume that the couple concerned are guilty. 

If they are subsequently found to be guilty by a jury, then fine, stick 'em on a plane back to bongo bongo land or wherever they came from. In the meantime, I think that the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" applies.

1 person likes this

Seems the captors are not British, and have been interviewed by police before.

Well I hope after their prison sentences they get put straight on a plane and sent back from whence they came.

and WTF are they doing on bail?

The police are nowhere near the stage to charge them with anything apparently, so bailing them gives the police the time to interview these women to see if there is enough evidence to charge them. What puzzles me is why the police needed a month or so from when they were informed of this matter to raiding the property, that was of course another few weeks these women were working as slaves IF thats what is proved to have happened.

All the women were foreign and would be easy enough to control with fear. This happens to some extent in the Asian and now Migrant communities. The police and support groups can't get through because of cultural and language difficulties. Instead they prefer to chase the sex trafficking bogeyman. It makes better headlines I suppose.

From what i have seen on the TV from three separate sources one woman was Irish and the 30 year old English.

From what i have seen on the TV from three separate sources one woman was Irish and the 30 year old English.

if their immigration status was at all dodgy, then they would be ripe for blackmail.

I know that but you posted all were foreign. I agree with you about control. Hyland has said the control was physical, mental and psychological, it wasnt necessarily the case they couldnt of run off at least at times. Stockholm syndrome comes to mind.

The police are nowhere near the stage to charge them with anything apparently, so bailing them gives the police the time to interview these women to see if there is enough evidence to charge them. What puzzles me is why the police needed a month or so from when they were informed of this matter to raiding the property, that was of course another few weeks these women were working as slaves IF thats what is proved to have happened.

This is what surprises me. Can Irgendeiner or Silverado come to our aid here? It seems plain they were being held against their will and treated inhumanely (to put it mildly) - there is presumably some crime that covers that and on which they could be charged and held pending further enquiries. Or not?

This has been covered on the news quite a bit, seemingly a Modern Slavery bill will be passing through the HOC soon. With recommendations for full life terms for those convicted of this crime.

This type of thing is seemingly quite common amongst gypsy communities also, whereby vulnerable males are kept as slaves and working for their 'masters'.

Full life term seems appropriate for this type of crime - with hard labour if we were to still specify that type of thing!!

1 person likes this

This has been covered on the news quite a bit, seemingly a Modern Slavery bill will be passing through the HOC soon. With recommendations for full life terms for those convicted of this crime.

This type of thing is seemingly quite common amongst gypsy communities also, whereby vulnerable males are kept as slaves and working for their 'masters'.

Full life term seems appropriate for this type of crime - with hard labour if we were to still specify that type of thing!!

I'm afraid we'll have to mark you down there for using that word, and I don't think you can plead your use of the word "communities" immediately after in mitigation either. Enslavement is nothing against such insensitivities.

I'm afraid we'll have to mark you down there for using that word, and I don't think you can plead your use of the word "communities" immediately after in mitigation either. Enslavement is nothing against such insensitivities.

well the attorney general considers some immigrant groups have inappropriate views on UK laws. Seems we need to ensure that everyone knows what the laws are here and they are to be obeyed.  And tradition and religion are no defence if its illegal.  The same point was made about Female Genital Mutilation on TV the other night.

We have to stop being afraid of prosecuting people for crimes in case we are labelled racist.  If its against the law, its againt the law.  Simple.

This is what surprises me. Can Irgendeiner or Silverado come to our aid here? It seems plain they were being held against their will and treated inhumanely (to put it mildly) - there is presumably some crime that covers that and on which they could be charged and held pending further enquiries. Or not?

False imprisonment - a common law offence.

Also section 71 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 creates an offence of holding another person in slavery or servitude or requiring them to perform forced or compulsory labour.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/25/section/71

I have no intention of "pleading" ,people are what they are.

I actually mean the Irish 'travellers - who tend to stop in the same location for some considerable time. Is that a traveller? I think not.

"Enslavement is nothing" - a total of 90 years these women were seemingly trapped - I do apologise for upsetting "your" sensitivities. I am sure all those that have been affected by this type of thing, would have some choice words that they could use to describe their captors. 

Control and fear have always existed in minority groups. I can remember 20 years ago a Muslim guy got bored of his wife so he went to Pakistan and married another wife. He brought her over claimed it was a bride for his cousin. In effect he had two wives under Muslim law but only one under British law. Basically she had been brought over to do the cleaning and cooking.(now slavery or servitude)

Of course neither women could speak English and you never saw anybody from immigration catching illegal immigrants where we lived at the time. Both women were unhappy but what could they do.(They even lived in the same house) The Muslim community of course saw nothing wrong in it either. Remember 20 years ago the UK was very patriarchal. The feminists have forgotten how bad things were.

False imprisonment - a common law offence.

Also section 71 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 creates an offence of holding another person in slavery or servitude or requiring them to perform forced or compulsory labour.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/25/section/71

Are they not in trouble over immigration irregularities on their own account.  They could well be in trouble over minimum wage regulations. HMRC could make them pay back pay, and then seek to take PAYE and NI contributions, incl employers NI, then there are penaties on top.

and if the 30 year old was not registered at birth thats another offence.

plenty to make their life hell if guilty.

Are they not in trouble over immigration irregularities on their own account.  They could well be in trouble over minimum wage regulations. HMRC could make them pay back pay, and then seek to take PAYE and NI contributions, incl employers NI, then there are penaties on top.

and if the 30 year old was not registered at birth thats another offence.

plenty to make their life hell if guilty.

Apparently the only official paperwork found in connection to the 30 year at least so far is a Birth Certificate. Seems to me the police are taking this slowly slowly at the pace the women are prepared to talk. In my view if that translates into better evidence to charge these two people if the evidence is there then all the better.

1 person likes this

Delighted these women have been saved! The penalty for trafficking/enslaving should be life!

However, while there are those calling for punter criminalisation to prevent trafficking, which does not make sense, nobody is calling for an end to domestic service/farm labouring as a means to end it!

For me this case highlights why Sweden should scrap the Swedish model and decriminalise prostitution. Years after Pye Jacobson revealed the abuse prostitutes faced by working underground in Sweden, the Swedish government has done nothing about it, preferring to stay in their deluded state of mind that they're right and everyone who criticises them is wrong. If Sweden decriminalised prostitution maybe these ladies, who are like slaves to criminals, will be able to come forward to the authorities, or punters without fear of prosecution can come forward on their behalf. If these ladies then still wanted to continue in the sex trade, they can continue to ply their trade in a secure environment.

1 person likes this