Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vin DaLoo

Borgen

7 posts in this topic

Episode 5 of Series 3 of this excellent Danish political drama, shown last night on BBC4, focussed on the issue of criminalising clients of prostitutes.

All the familiar positions and arguments were covered, and the main character - former centre-left PM Birgitte Nyborg - is shown shifting position from a politically expedient one of going down the criminalising clients route, to one of supporting rights for WGs, after her assistant gets to know a WG who leads a campaign group and explains things from her perspective.

A superb episode of this brilliant drama, well worth watching.

One of the most intelligent programmes on TV. Previous series have covered some pretty controversial topics, not only the merits but how the issues inevitably get warped get by the machinery of politics and press.  

In my most recent post on another thread about the wisdom or otherwise of talking to journalists, I offered the view that there was no point as little good for the industry was ever likely to come that quarter.  Perhaps the route to normalisation lies in an intelligent analysis of the issues in drama (or literature) where much of the impetus towards social change is generated (eg, George Eliot, Charles Dickens).  I suppose the the KPI for success will be when we have a positively-conceived WG as a character in Coronation Street...I am not holding my breath.    

1 person likes this

Sarita speaks the truth. It's usually the best viewing of the week and this week was no different.

I came late to this episode as I was away with my aged parents.

I am most grateful to VinDaloo for highlighting this particular episode (Third Series, Episode 5)

Everything we in England tried to tell them (in Parliament) about this issue still resulted in legislation that could not be more accurately targeted so as to discourage right-thinking punters from reporting suspicions of individuals working against their will.

In some ways I feel that the best thing I could do is to let the sleeping dogs lie for that is precisely the posture enabled by the legislation.

Uncle Pokey

Brilliant discussion on the Channel 4 program Borgen last Saturday.

Birgitte Nyborg makes a wonderful case for better treatment of WGs in Denmark.

In Danish with sub-titles. Borgen is the name of the Danish Parliament.

All the women in this series are worth a look by the way.

Hope its on play-it-again.

Agree with all of the above, and have to admit to having more than a little crush on Birgitte Nyborg, her english accent is just too sexy!   Whilst on the subject of foreign dramas I am really liking Inspector Montalbano which is in subtitles but very funny and featuring some beautiful italian ladies who tend to wear very little as a matter of course.