YourSlave

Police Raids On Soho Flats

39 posts in this topic

From the Daily Fail's perspective

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518613/Soho-brothels-sex-shops-lap-dancing-clubs-raided-crackdown-drugs-people-trafficking.html

Hundreds of police raid brothels, sex shops and lap dancing clubs in Soho in crackdown on drugs and people trafficking

More than 200 police in riot vans swooped on premises in Soho, London
    29 people arrested as part of 18-month operation to tackle organised crime
    A dozen women found in squalid rooms have been taken to safe locations
    Officers seized class A drugs, cash and stolen mobile phones from clubs

And from the perspective of sex workers:

http://prostitutescollective.net/2013/12/05/police-raids-against-sex-workers-in-soho-central-london/

Over 25 sex workers’ flats in Soho, Central London were raided by police last night (4 December). Police broke down doors, slapped closure notices on the doors of premises and threw women out onto the street. Some immigrant women were taken into custody on the pretext that they may be victims of trafficking, despite their protestations that they were not being forced to work. Other women were given papers instructing them to appear in court today and tomorrow

Indeed, all very convenient timing when you consider there are agreed plans by big business with the full backing of the council to re-develop Soho. I shall reserve judgement until these arrests turn into convictions. What i do know is the police have of course known about any brothels in Soho and Walk-Ups which might not be brothels legally for years. I have also never heard the stat that you are 146 times more likely to be robbed in Soho than elsewhere in the UK.

Indeed, all very convenient timing when you consider there are agreed plans by big business with the full backing of the council to re-develop Soho. I shall reserve judgement until these arrests turn into convictions. What i do know is the police have of course known about any brothels in Soho and Walk-Ups which might not be brothels legally for years. I have also never heard the stat that you are 146 times more likely to be robbed in Soho than elsewhere in the UK.

I seem to remember the landlord's daughter wanting to evict the tenants and redevelop the area................

A long time coming....

Lets hope the ladies get the help and support they require.

If you were in my shoes and get to know a rescued lady and hear her story then you would never visit Soho again, thankfully she is now active with a team who are trying to help others and doing good.

The £20 fcuk comes at a far bigger cost.....

A long time coming....

Lets hope the ladies get the help and support they require.

If you were in my shoes and get to know a rescued lady and hear her story then you would never visit Soho again, thankfully she is now active with a team who are trying to help others and doing good.

The £20 fcuk comes at a far bigger cost.....

It is fairly obvious that some of the girls in soho are NOT trafficked. Im not saying some are but considering the protests last month when 26 Romilly Street was closed it is obvious that some girls choose to work in soho. 

1 person likes this

It is fairly obvious that some of the girls in soho are NOT trafficked. Im not saying some are but considering the protests last month when 26 Romilly Street was closed it is obvious that some girls choose to work in soho.

Then Why not book a hotel room, see 4 punters and walk out with £350 cash in hand after expenses is that not better than having to fcuk to pay of the £240 costs for a Soho room? If she has her passport/ID she can apply for a pre-paid debit card and book.

The depths to which some of these men sink boggles me - one of them was even prepared to sell an electronic toothbrush (if the Mail's interactive map is to be believed)! Wow!

Then Why not book a hotel room, see 4 punters and walk out with £350 cash in hand after expenses is that not better than having to fcuk to pay of the £240 costs for a Soho room? If she has her passport/ID she can apply for a pre-paid debit card and book.

Maybe they like the security of the soho flats. Im not trying to say that the girls there are not trafficked, all im saying is that until we hear evidence that these girls have been trafficked there is no proof.  In the first post it states that the girls have said that they were not being trafficked. Plus from my own experience in soho the girls have had no signs of trafficking.

If there are girls who have been trafficked then I hope they can get the help they need to try and live the rest of there life how they want and the people who trafficked them locked up for a very long time

1 person likes this

I believe human trafficking it's only going to get worse in U.K when Bulgaria and Romania join. If anyone watched Ross Kemp on gang a few years ago, gangs

were planning on an invasion with their girls. Most of these women are put on drugs to control them by the gangs e.t.c. I am glad they freed some. Whether or not it has to do with redeveloping, crime is crime and needs to be stopped. This said, for the men who don't like the police arresting men like this. The more human trafficking increases, the greater chance of laws being brought in making buy or selling sex illegal. So best to stand it out before it becomes epidemic.

"Then Why not book a hotel room, see 4 punters and walk out with £350 cash" - trafficked women are forced to work from hotel rooms too... you better give up using hotel rooms if you have a conscience.

And for a hooker to make a hotel room work she needs to be able to bring in the business... most of these girls just aren't glamorous enough, soho is (was) low end and survives on footfall, that's why it is where it is... and even if they do have the looks and the talent to work as an indie they are just not that organised... not at first anyway, and those that become organised do often move on to better things

"she can apply for a pre-paid debit card" LOL see above, I don't think you really know these girls, but yes some of the more organised and successful ones actually pay tax so they can bank their money... I think this is where the money laundering bollocks comes from. Notice how a hooker making a few quid a week has to pretend to have a "legitimate" income to have a bank account like the rest of us, but when some old granny gets her life savings nicked the same bank will say they cant trace the owner of the account the funds were transferred to. (I digress)

Tisbury court seemed to bear the brunt of this "operation" and it is the sleaziest corner, there and that corner of peter street, the last remaining patches of old soho... Tisbury court has no cctv but is a few steps away from the busiest shopping street in Europe (the world?) I think that explains the high rate of muggings... but crackheads do congregate there and it gets rough late at night still... so why not arrest crackheads and muggers?

This is about making way for starbucks and sainsburys local... the benefit to any trafficked or abused women will be minimal bordering on non existent...

only big business is allowed to make money - that is the way its going, they want immigrants and the lower classes to work for them not make their own money - I would like to see them raid every sainsburys local and check every shelf stacker to see if they should be working.

its corruption from way up top, they wont see it as that - they will justify it to themselves as fighting crime - but I bet they benefit somewhere along the line...

If they wanted to help trafficked women in soho they would (and sometimes do) send a couple female CID round to the walk ups to have a chat and see who is there...

and when they have killed all the walk ups do you think these women will go to college and get proper jobs? no fucking way... they will have even less options, be even more exposed to sex gangs...

3 people like this

Explains why I walked past Bateman Street which had the shutters down and the Greek Street walkdown with the upstairs door closed at around 5.30 this evening.

From the ECP:

Dear Friends,

A massive six-story development with an airport like lounge and heliport is being proposed at Walkers Court in the heart of Soho (see photo below). The decision on this development is taking place at Westminster Council planning committee on Tuesday 10 December.

A development of this kind will change the very character of the area, wreck the lively diverse community there and lead to the eviction of sex workers from walk-up flats. Residents and small independent business will be particularly affected.

Possibly connected to this development, 200 police raided and closed 20 flats in Soho on the evening of 4 December. Both the police and Westminster Council claim that the action was to save victims of trafficking. None of the women we are in touch are trafficked and they feel strongly that this is being used as an excuse to target them. Women are now fighting to defend their rights to work in safety and support their families.

The raids, like the bedroom tax and benefit cap, are socially cleansing Soho for the super rich.

Please take action now:

1.     Before Tuesday 10 December, write to the Head of the Planning Committee Robert Davis rdavis@westminster.gov.uk with your objections.

2.     Join us at the planning committee meeting on Tuesday 10 December 6.30pm at City Hall, 17th floor, 64 Victoria Street, SW1E 6PQ to demonstrate your objections.

3.     Sign the petition to stop the eviction and prosecution of sex workers.

It's sad the police are using this as a cover especially when there are genuine victims out there!

Maybe they like the security of the soho flats. Im not trying to say that the girls there are not trafficked, all im saying is that until we hear evidence that these girls have been trafficked there is no proof.  In the first post it states that the girls have said that they were not being trafficked. Plus from my own experience in soho the girls have had no signs of trafficking.

If there are girls who have been trafficked then I hope they can get the help they need to try and live the rest of there life how they want and the people who trafficked them locked up for a very long time

Exactly. Knowing one individuals circumstances doesn't prove anything either way. Let's wait for the charges, see the evidence and then any convictions. I have punted in the Soho walk ups many, many times, over the years and it was pretty clear to me the reasons why some of the women I met, worked there. And I openly spoke with a couple about it. They may well be £20 fucks, but that only gets you 5 minutes if you're lucky. The 30 minute and 60 minute rates were always comparable with non walk up places.

I've punted women in their homes for £30 or £40 quickies, who weren't trafficked either. There's a lot of myth making and plain bullshit talked about with regards to quickies. Usually from people who have never done them and have no idea what they're talking about.

I haven't punted in every single walk up, so obviously cannot say nobody has ever been trafficked there, but let's wait and see. And the trafficked element could also apply to the clip joints which abound in Soho and have nothing to do with the walk ups. There's a lot of prime land in Soho and an awful lot of profit to be made from redevelopment of that area. I tend to follow the money trail, rather than the lies and misdirection frequently peddled by the gutter press.

Edited by drzhivago
1 person likes this

"Then Why not book a hotel room, see 4 punters and walk out with £350 cash" - trafficked women are forced to work from hotel rooms too... you better give up using hotel rooms if you have a conscience.

And for a hooker to make a hotel room work she needs to be able to bring in the business... most of these girls just aren't glamorous enough, soho is (was) low end and survives on footfall, that's why it is where it is... and even if they do have the looks and the talent to work as an indie they are just not that organised... not at first anyway, and those that become organised do often move on to better things

"she can apply for a pre-paid debit card" LOL see above, I don't think you really know these girls, but yes some of the more organised and successful ones actually pay tax so they can bank their money... I think this is where the money laundering bollocks comes from. Notice how a hooker making a few quid a week has to pretend to have a "legitimate" income to have a bank account like the rest of us, but when some old granny gets her life savings nicked the same bank will say they cant trace the owner of the account the funds were transferred to. (I digress)

Tisbury court seemed to bear the brunt of this "operation" and it is the sleaziest corner, there and that corner of peter street, the last remaining patches of old soho... Tisbury court has no cctv but is a few steps away from the busiest shopping street in Europe (the world?) I think that explains the high rate of muggings... but crackheads do congregate there and it gets rough late at night still... so why not arrest crackheads and muggers?

This is about making way for starbucks and sainsburys local... the benefit to any trafficked or abused women will be minimal bordering on non existent...

only big business is allowed to make money - that is the way its going, they want immigrants and the lower classes to work for them not make their own money - I would like to see them raid every sainsburys local and check every shelf stacker to see if they should be working.

its corruption from way up top, they wont see it as that - they will justify it to themselves as fighting crime - but I bet they benefit somewhere along the line...

If they wanted to help trafficked women in soho they would (and sometimes do) send a couple female CID round to the walk ups to have a chat and see who is there...

and when they have killed all the walk ups do you think these women will go to college and get proper jobs? no fucking way... they will have even less options, be even more exposed to sex gangs...

Excellent post.

Edited by drzhivago

This quote says it all really. 

http://www.westendextra.com/news/2013/dec/sex-workers-anger-riot-police-raid-40-premises-soho-stolen-goods-clampdown

But sex workers disputed these claims last night (Thursday) and the English Collective of Prostitutes (ECP) – known as  the “Girls’ Union” – said in a statement: “Some immigrant women were taken into custody on the pretext that they may be victims of trafficking, despite their protestations that they were not being forced to work.”

Nikki Adams from the ECP told the West End Extra that it was an “out­rageous fabrication”, adding: “At least two of those women I know well and they’ve been in the UK for years and speak perfect English and come to all our meetings – they are so clearly not trafficked.”

She said the action could be related to an additional pot of European Union funding that had recently been made available to the Met to tackle human trafficking.

“The point is, if you are wanting an anti-trafficking strategy this is not it. If they find one woman who was trafficked this way, then they did it incidentally and not by any active policy that was going to encourage women who were being exploited and abused to come forward and get the help they need.”

She added: “The police must know that some women will end up working on the street as a result, where it is much more dangerous.”

One 25-year-old sex worker from Romania, who works at a flat in Soho, told the West End Extra: “I’m not a victim and I don’t think that’s the case for any of the girls. If they were real victims they would come out and talk to police as soon as they come.”

She criticised the Met’s decision to allow photographers on the raid, which led to images of sex workers being circulated online.

She said: “Yes, we are sex workers, but I still have the rights to privacy that you have. It doesn’t matter what you do for a job, you have a right to privacy.”

"A massive six-story development with an airport like lounge and heliport is being proposed at Walkers Court in the heart of Soho (see photo below). The decision on this development is taking place at Westminster Council planning committee on Tuesday 10 December"

I fucking knew it would be something like that... this may as well be latin America or somewhere in Africa... the police are clearing the slums for rich people... doesn't it make you fucking sick...

I don't even punt soho anymore... business is so bad that there have been no decent girls down there for a few years now... but London wont be the same without it... I remember first going down there when I was 14 (the 80's) and thinking it was like a little country of its own... my uncle told me about going down there after the war as a kid and running errands for spivs and hookers... you will never get it back or see anything like it again, once its gone (and it nearly is) its gone forever...

its almost beyond belief  the damage that these politicians, councillors and corperations do and what they can get away with...

Here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth (I'm quite prepared for a lot of you to disagree......)

We can mourn the passing of old Soho - I worked there for 20 years, and I certainly mourn the loss of such a boho vibrant quirky place, quite different to anywhere else I've ever been.

However - huge economic forces are at work here, with property worth millions. The sex industry in Soho is doomed - the council want it out, the landlords want it out.  And I think as punters, we shouldn't be taking too gloomy a view of this process. The walk-ups are, or should be, pretty hard for us to defend as institutions. They have traditionally been dingy, run-down and operated by some pretty questionable people.

They have been an easy stick for the abolitionists to beat us with - no woman, trafficked or not, should have to see 3 clients an hour, 12 hours a day, just to come away with a reasonable amount of money.

Now, we know that your average Plod doesn't care about prostitution - in fact he's quite likely to avail himself of the services of a prostitute from time to time. However, we also know that Sir Bernard H-H is an ambitious man, and that he also has pressure upon him from Westminster and Paul Raymond's estate.

If these raids are his way of appeasing his political masters and ticking the "I cleaned up prostitution" box, then, I think, fair enough, let's take the hit. The walk-ups are doomed anyway, and as I say, pretty indefensible. With these raids, Sir Bernard has done his bit re the vice trade, and the Met can move on, leaving the agencies and independent women to carry on as before. After all, agencies and indies are rarely breaking the law.

I thoroughly agree with the comment above that if trafficking increases, pressure will build to introduce laws to ban the sale and purchase of sexual services. I believe that these raids, if anything, make that less likely.

Feel free to disagree.........

but soho now isn't what it was 10 or 15 years ago when trafficking was rampant not just in the west end but the whole of the country... but the police and the media are pretending it is to please the rich who are going to live there when its all been cleared away... come on, a fucking helipad? there is nothing in it for anyone except the people involved and the tiny few who can afford to live there... London needs affordable housing not summer pads for qatar playboys

seems like a strange way to help trafficked and abused women by sticking pictures of them on the evening standard...

the anti whore brigade won't stop with the walk ups because its men having sex that really fucks them off and drives them...

the working conditions in the walk ups (again arguable, plenty of girls would rather do more short punts than fewer, longer punts, I knew a girl who's worst nightmare was the 1 hr punter that "just wants to talk" - but I do accept the point with regards to the rush rush venues) are not isolated to walk-ups... these girls are going to have to work somewhere even if its not a walkup... and many of the punters are minimum wage immigrants, they aren't going to stay at home with the littlewoods catalogue looking at the lingerie... it all adds up to backstreet palours and brothels - run by sex gangs... under the radar, out of sight out of mind, its ok out in Romford or somewhere but not in W1 where some bankers have decided they would like to stay for a bit...

and when the sex is gone they will force out the record shops and the independent cafes and all the other good stuff that makes soho what it is... cant see them putting up with that market... at best they will force out all the natives, the fruit and veg cockneys... and replace them with trendy farmers or over priced artistic tat...

it might be evolution to you but its oppression and segregation to me....

1 person likes this

"and when the sex is gone they will force out the record shops and the independent cafes and all the other good stuff that makes soho what it is... cant see them putting up with that market... at best they will force out all the natives, the fruit and veg cockneys... and replace them with trendy farmers or over priced artistic tat...

it might be evolution to you but its oppression and segregation to me"

You have a strange view of how a market economy works. If a landlord wishes to develop his property then, within planning regulations, he can, and it's only rational that he should.

I never said that I regarded the sanitisation of Soho as evolution. However oppression and segregation are not the right words either.

I said we should mourn the old Soho, but, realistically, there's nothing that can be done to stop the process. Even Deptford is gentrifying these days, for Christ's sake. We're agreed that what is happening to Soho is a terrible shame.

When you get chance, you might like to address the points I was actually making.

1 person likes this

well no need to be quite so touchy... you did say we were welcome to disagree... and this is a forum... you say its ok (but sad and inevitable) for it to go... I say its not ok and shouldn't be inevitable...

you think these raids are the product of trafficking and will help abused women - and will make the anti whore brigade find something else to do... dream on or see above.

if they really wanted to tackle prostitution then they would need to tackle poverty - which perhaps takes us, directly or indirectly back to property... fucking helipads - if it was affordable property I might sympathise

"the landlord has the right to develop has he wishes" - the landlord doesn't own the street, the neighbourhood... the police should not be used as some kind of private security firm and the media should not be allowed to distort the truth

I have a strange view of market economy? LOL I don't give a fuck... soho has been there for generations and now its going and its going because it suits a few individuals rather than what is best for London, or anybody who visits and uses it, for what ever purpose...

arresting people because they are foreign and because they are sex workers - telling them they are trafficked and abused when they themselves say they are not - that is oppressive - they now have to work elsewhere, where they cant be seen - that is segregation...

anyway this all getting a bit circular... Ive said enough on the subject... see you in starbucks.

well no need to be quite so touchy... you did say we were welcome to disagree... and this is a forum... you say its ok (but sad and inevitable) for it to go... I say its not ok and shouldn't be inevitable...

you think these raids are the product of trafficking and will help abused women - and will make the anti whore brigade find something else to do... dream on or see above.

if they really wanted to tackle prostitution then they would need to tackle poverty - which perhaps takes us, directly or indirectly back to property... fucking helipads - if it was affordable property I might sympathise

"the landlord has the right to develop has he wishes" - the landlord doesn't own the street, the neighbourhood... the police should not be used as some kind of private security firm and the media should not be allowed to distort the truth

I have a strange view of market economy? LOL I don't give a fuck... soho has been there for generations and now its going and its going because it suits a few individuals rather than what is best for London, or anybody who visits and uses it, for what ever purpose...

arresting people because they are foreign and because they are sex workers - telling them they are trafficked and abused when they themselves say they are not - that is oppressive - they now have to work elsewhere, where they cant be seen - that is segregation...

anyway this all getting a bit circular... Ive said enough on the subject... see you in starbucks.

Yes - you have said enough. You are (possibly deliberately) missing the point of what I'm saying, and misrepresenting the views I have expressed.

Disagreeing is fine, putting words into my mouth isn't.

What I think is going to happen in five years time, all the walk up in soho will be closed down and redevelop into something else. Then after that they will try close down the strip clubs and it will be successful.

So after 7 - 10 years it will be known as the gay community with gay bars, strip clubs etc.

Then after 20 years all that will be gone and it will be just shops, cafe's, flats and office. Like any other town and I personality think that London is beginning to be a dying city.

So were the raids a roaring success? Did any of the workers turn out to be trafficked? Have the police actually learned anything from this?

Probably too soon to tell, but a good question nonetheless.

As always, there's a great glare of publicity to begin with, then it all goes very quiet.