Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
badmaash

What Is Business Like On New Years Eve?

19 posts in this topic

Hi

What is the business like on New Years Eve?  Or is it more on the actual day of NY's?

Thx

1 person likes this

Hi

What is the business like on New Years Eve?  Or is it more on the actual day of NY's?

Thx

I reckon that, on N.Y. Day itself most punters are too "Brahms and Lizt" (spelling) to be capable of enjoying a punt (my own personal view of course). Now N.Y.'s. eve, well that is a different matter. Only problem is that a lot of the W.G's might be unavailable due to celebrating themselves. If not, what a WONDERFUL was of ending the old year. :D  :D . Would like to know what the Ladies of this Forum think? 

I suppose it depends what business you're in - if you're a taxi driver, a publican or a kebab shop owner I would think you'll be doing very nicely.

I was in Cork last New Year's Eve and had a good day, although it fizzled out about five-ish and when it started fizzling back in, the drinkers had started calling (and texting to ask me if I wanted to go to the pub with them :D) so I switched the phone off, availed myself of some Hillbilly Chicken with chips and curry sauce and watched Ice Cold In Alex.

New Years Day was very busy from late morning onwards, although there were some pretty sorry states rolling up at the door and I went through a lot of Extra Strong Mints that day (I think I was telling them that the special combination of peppermint oil, starch and glucose cured hangovers quickly rather than just stopping me boaking at the stale-drink-from-last-night smell that was coming off most of the poor souls in waves :P).

I'm home this year, so it'll be phone off, fridge stocked and box sets ahoy from roughly the 22nd December until the first week of When I Can Be Arsed.

New years day.If the people i see in my trade is anything to go by,most would struggle to raise a smile let alone anythung else

Adorable Amy; you have impeccible taste in films. Ice cold in Alex is a classic.

I've only worked a couple of New Years Eve's and found them nice and steady. The problem comes once the pubs have been hit and on the day it can be a time for those who are home alone, have gotten to the maudlin state to start ringing around. Two years ago NYD I had family coming over, decided to check my phone to read and reply where appropriate to HNY messages. Twenty minutes before family were due to arrive I received a phone call from a guy I'd seen a couple of times some time before, he was adamant he wanted to see me, could he not persuade me, why wouldn't I pop around to his, awwwww go on. Ended up just turning the phone off. I've had similar messages left on Christmas day sometimes by men I know, sometimes not. Whilst it's nice to be wanted trying to get someone off the phone who doesn't understand "I'm not working and have family about to land" can take the sparkle off a little, but then again more fool me for answering!

There's definitely a point at which excitement, and merryment goes a bit too far and whumph.....this year I will be working until a certain time on NYE, and will play Christmas Eve by ear but on the day I do already have personal commitments so will be having a day off - in fact NYD is the start of 4 days off for me.

Edited by Strawberry

Forgot to say I have had bookings with regulars late on NYE, nice way to spend an evening rather than out there in the melee or inside trying to ignore the naff TV programmes and fireworks.

Mmmm I only worked one NYE and I had pre booked appointments but they all cancelled due to "family" turning up which I think was code for "finding someone to celebrate NYE with after all"

I shall be working this year too, hope its not as jinxed as last time lol  :blink:

I wonder if many people have an overnight experience for NYE (i.e. including dinner / NYE party / etc).  I could think of a lot less fun fun things to do for NYE but could get quite expensive I suppose with most venues charging extortionate prices for NYE dinner / party + I assume most WG's would charge a premium rate for NYE overnight.

I couldn't imagine a punt on NYD with a hangover and all.  Or at least it wouldn't be very active...

I wonder if many people have an overnight experience for NYE (i.e. including dinner / NYE party / etc).  I could think of a lot less fun fun things to do for NYE but could get quite expensive I suppose with most venues charging extortionate prices for NYE dinner / party + I assume most WG's would charge a premium rate for NYE overnight.

I couldn't imagine a punt on NYD with a hangover and all.  Or at least it wouldn't be very active...

Or just have a meal together either cook, take away or low key meal out, followed by visiting a party local music venue, then back after midnight to bed. If you make your own night out, don't follow the sheep then you don't have to pay over the odds and you don't have to get drunk.

I've never found it especially busy, but the phone does go a lot on the early hours, but no way am I seeing some bevvied up bloke in my flat that late! This goes for Friday and Saturday nights too though. Phone always starts going around midnight, but more often than not they tend to be slurring!

However, I would take an early evening booking or a late one made in advance. Last year I did one at 10pm on Christmas day! 

New Year's Eve?

No I shall not be working or available at all.

I shall be projectile vomitting while nursing my sprained ankle after falling off my slut shoes and crying into some stranger's leg on a freezing pavement because I can not find a man to hobble home with and giving me a right old seeing to   spending the evening sipping mulled wine and shaking hands with family and friends.

;)

4 people like this

maybe early it will be busy and then tail off

maybe early it will be busy and then tail off

yeah if  you are talking about punting I think that's what happens, busy until about 10 / 11pm then dead until march. 

Best to make plans in advance - hopefully we will all have parties lined up, although I did actualy spend last New Years Eve ''in'' :)

yeah if  you are talking about punting I think that's what happens, busy until about 10 / 11pm then dead until march. 

For you personally or everyone?!

mmm not quite, the party usually lasts through january then feb slows down a bit then it dies in march only to start to revive in sunny april x

I am around during the day on NYE, but I think I may go out and party and paint the town in the Eve. Unless someone can give me a better option... 

For you personally or everyone?!

LOL... yeah has been in the past

Generally speaking (based on my experience of punting in the west end and what girls have told me) it will be well busy up until just before midnight and then dead after... try finding anywhere that is open after midnight in the west end... they all close.

but I do remember one year ringing round the phone box cards and finding a great brothel off Russell square at around 6am and punting a dynamite latina called Sylvia who had also been out raving herself... she worked until 11pm went to a nearby club, partied then came back to work... I remember strolling up oxford street at 7am feeling very fucking pleased with myself...