Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tiggy 7

Washington Square, Bangkok - R. I. P.

7 posts in this topic

Fascinating Bangkok Post article for geriatric LOS punters who were there and for those LOS punters who are too young to have a memory but are interested in a bit of history:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/family/383728/bygone-era-of-bars-gone-by

It helps put into perspective some of the current discussions about the declining quality of Thai WGs.  It's all relative.

Edited by JKay

I have been living in Bangkok for 20 years but have never heard of Washington Square...

Sukhumvit is a high-so district now though. Will probably turn into 4,000 quid per square metre condos soon.

I have been living in Bangkok for 20 years but have never heard of Washington Square...

Sukhumvit is a high-so district now though. Will probably turn into 4,000 quid per square metre condos soon.

You probably were living a clean and blameless life then.  Washington Square was still functioning when you got there but, as the article says, it was really a creature of the Vietnam War (or the American War, if one is Vietnamese) and its aftermath so, by 1993, it already was in a state of terminal decline.  But the original Doll House was located there, as were The Living Room and several other legendary venues, and I still sigh when the Skytrain passes above that deserted patch of land.  I was a lot younger then (I first visited Bangkok in the mid-70s) and the place still reeked of fairly innocent decadence, and the girls were lovely, the prices were minimal (especially if you were spending US$) and you could fall in love nightly for less than the cost of a decent soapy today. :)

Fascinating Bangkok Post article for geriatric LOS punters who were there and for those LOS punters who are too young to have a memory but are interested in a bit of history:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/family/383728/bygone-era-of-bars-gone-by

It helps put into perspective some of the current discussions about the declining quality of Thai WGs.  It's all relative.

No mention of   Windsor Hotel next door Soi 20 where it all started, R&R centre for US Military .

http://seattle99.wordpress.com/tag/vietnam-war/.

"The U.S. R&R Centre in BKK – Windsor Hotel Sukhumvit Soi 20. I believe these girls could be rented for the week for some B400….not bad for ’69.

Actually, it acted as a “way station” for most serving in the SE Asian wars. This wasn’t an exclusive Yank club. I believe that the fighting Aussies made it there home away from home. 

You think back and how this all got started. By 1969, the BKK “districts” were just getting up steam – than came Pattaya, the navy haunt. Well established bar areas upcountry around the American air bases . . .”.

http://www.sukhumvitguide.com/blog/tag/americans-in-bangkok/.

The boom in development started in the 1960s with the enormous numbers of American military personnel stationed in South East Asia. Large residential buildings were developed by Thai entrepreneurs to lease to the American government as ‘R&R’ hotels. Two early examples of these were the Windsor hotel on Soi 20 and the Rajah hotel on Soi 4.".

Where are they now ????     "The most famous regulars were the Air America pilots who conducted clandestine operations against communists in Laos in the 1960s and 1970s. Most have now gone: Many have died, others have stopped drinking..".  http://www.bangkokpo...of-bars-gone-by.  

One of them living on the west coast of the US in retirement but hasn't stopped drinking or talking about Bangkok in the 60s and the 3 Princes of Laos at the time    . What a fascinating country to have had "The Three Princes was a name given to Princes Boun OumSouvanna Phouma and Souphanouvong who represented respectively the royalist, neutralist and leftist factions in the Kingdom of Laos in the post-WWIIperiod.[1] The trio were named by King Savang Vatthana to form a coalition government following the independence of Laos."

One of my favourite novels is a book called Koko, by Peter Straub. It's set in the 1970s/1980s and is about the surviving members of a US platoon in Vietnam who suspect that one of their comrades has had a breakdown and has become a serial killer. Several of the chapters are set in Bangkok and are evocative of the environment and times referred to in this thread, which reminded me of it. I have never been to Thailand. Thai girls and Asian girls generally aren't really my type, but I do enjoy reading these threads and what posters contribute here.

Remember , Remember , 

Wild Country 

Hare + Hound 

Texas Lone Staar 

New Square One 

Prince Of Wales 

[ the best of all Wild Country , where it was possible to get a hand job in the open bar , if you don't mind an audience  ] 

Remember , Remember , 

Wild Country 

Hare + Hound 

Texas Lone Staar 

New Square One 

Prince Of Wales 

[ the best of all Wild Country , where it was possible to get a hand job in the open bar , if you don't mind an audience  ] 

:D   You were there! ;)