JKay

Making Replies To Posts Using The Quote Button?

15 posts in this topic

Yes I have a problem with this feature. Please please please tell people to stop doing it. It's inane, pointless and treats readers like morons.

A feature for bores with the imagination of a comatose donkey.

Learn a lesson from out betters (mumsnet) :) and cut it the fuck out.

Yesterday I had plenty (of problems) seems ok at present...

Yes I have a problem with this feature. Please please please tell people to stop doing it. It's inane, pointless and treats readers like morons.

A feature for bores with the imagination of a comatose donkey.

Learn a lesson from out betters (mumsnet) :) and cut it the fuck out.

Are you serious?

If it's a long thread how else are you supposed to indicate that you may be responding to a specific point made some time before?  Of course you could say, this is in response to the point made by ____ in his third post of two days ago - and then you hope people reading your post will go back and read the one you're referring to otherwise your own post won't make any sense to them.  And if it makes no sense they're not going to contribute in turn and the thread dies.

If you really are serious I don't understand what your problem is

2 people like this

Go and have a look on mumsnet forums to see how the fairer sex manage to follow threads without needing spoonfed. Then let me know why we can't do the same.

No problem with quoting technically or on principle except surely there is no need to quote when you are reply next or next but one or wehn the text quoted is extensive.

That's stupid - you only have to mention the OP or the other poster's name and job done

A bit of common sense and all is fine.

Go and have a look on mumsnet forums to see how the fairer sex manage to follow threads without needing spoonfed. Then let me know why we can't do the same.

I don't feel the need Dr, because I don't see any problem with the way the feature is currently used here.  Plus, looking at a different forum won't necessarily make any difference - perhaps they have fewer people contributing, perhaps there is less dissent and debate than there is here - how can you make a straight comparison?

but bottom line is, what problem is there with the way we use it?

Anyone having problems?

JKay. I am guessing you are using IE and recently updated it to IE11.  I am pretty sure its causing the problems. I had exactly the same. 

You can try to uninstall recent update for IE. However when I did so, (rolled back to IE10) at first quote button started to work, but now it stopped again for some reason. :-(.  Also buttons like font, size, emoticons, etc gone also. 

Just use another browser for now, before G might find and tweak the compatibility issues with IE11.

JKay. I am guessing you are using IE and recently updated it to IE11.  I am pretty sure its causing the problems. I had exactly the same. 

You can try to uninstall recent update for IE. However when I did so, (rolled back to IE10) at first quote button started to work, but now it stopped again for some reason. :-(.  Also buttons like font, size, emoticons, etc gone also. 

Just use another browser for now, before G might find and tweak the compatibility issues with IE11.

Good point Xenia.  I'm using Google Chrome, which is my go-to browser these days.  Gives me far fewer problems than IE

bean57

The problem with quotes is not merely the way they are used on this site, although as vivluvsme notes it is mostly stupid, it is the fact that they are used at all. They are simply not required.

NB. Mumsnet has 4.3 million unique monthly visitors thousands of topics and threads that have post counts of hundreds, more debate and heated discussion than we could ever hope to muster. But no quote button.

Don't use IE. Problem solved.

As you can see I have changed browser for now, IE11 for me was the fastest I have tried, well happy with it apart from not being able to use the quote button as it saved my time when modding, I'm now on Opera untill the problem is fixed.

No problems on a pc but never works for me on my iPhone

On the 'should you do it' theme I'd say only when you really have to focus on a particular point and preferably edit the previous quote to the bit you need if it's a long one. One person on here seems incapable of posting without quoting someone else's mega long post ;-p

1 person likes this

That poster takes patronising to Olympic standards. Whereas in fact he needs to go back to the Land of Oz as the Wizard forgot to give him his brain.