Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MatureUschi

Roll On, Christmas!

14 posts in this topic

All my gifts are bought/sent, cards dealt with, tax return finished, and looking forward to going to Austria to see in the new year. After an excellent year for the stocks and shares ISA I'm just kicking back with a glass of wine, listening to Bob Dylan, and looking forward to being taken to the Savoy for dinner by one of my trusty old regulars.

Wishing all of you a wonderful holiday season - thank you to all of you who were generous with your advice when I needed it, and apologies to those guys I may have inadvertently offended with some of my opinions.

Anyhoo, merry Christmas and best wishes for 2014. I hope it exceeds your expectations by a mile! Tootlepip, until next year!

Merry Christmas Uschi and All the best for 2014. :)

Thank you, Hank! I love your tag line - so poignant. After all, we're all just hurtling towards the grave at lightening speed. Makes one wonder why we often make it so hard for ourselves.

1 person likes this

All my gifts are bought/sent, cards dealt with, tax return finished, and looking forward to going to Austria to see in the new year. After an excellent year for the stocks and shares ISA I'm just kicking back with a glass of wine, listening to Bob Dylan, and looking forward to being taken to the Savoy for dinner by one of my trusty old regulars.

Wishing all of you a wonderful holiday season - thank you to all of you who were generous with your advice when I needed it, and apologies to those guys I may have inadvertently offended with some of my opinions.

Anyhoo, merry Christmas and best wishes for 2014. I hope it exceeds your expectations by a mile! Tootlepip, until next year!

Oh how terribly posh  ;)

Yep, looooove the Savoy. Many years ago I visited one of my boys, who was a big cheese in TV, and who had booked a fab river view suite. He ordered a bottle of Krug from room service, and some snacky type stuff. When room service knocked on the door, I discreetly went into the bathroom and, ever practical, stripped off down to my bra, suspenders and stockings, silk knickers and black suede high heeled boots. After a decent interval I seductively slinked out of the beautiful deco bathroom, just to find the room service waiter still faffing with the bottle! He'd seen me, so there was no point in fleeing back into the bathroom, so I pretended I was still wearing my clothes, and so was he. He didn't bat an eye lid, kept his eye balls strictly above my chin and asked "would you like me to pour for you, madam?" I was so impressed - how's that for excellent staff training!

I've had a very soft spot for the Saveloy ever since.

Only bought a fraction of the gifts................  queued for over an hour to see Santa yesterday by which time the shops had closed.................  No posh dinner out for me until Christmas day but then we are pushing the boat out and dining in style.  Happy Christmas !

Yep, looooove the Savoy. Many years ago I visited one of my boys, who was a big cheese in TV, and who had booked a fab river view suite. He ordered a bottle of Krug from room service, and some snacky type stuff. When room service knocked on the door, I discreetly went into the bathroom and, ever practical, stripped off down to my bra, suspenders and stockings, silk knickers and black suede high heeled boots. After a decent interval I seductively slinked out of the beautiful deco bathroom, just to find the room service waiter still faffing with the bottle! He'd seen me, so there was no point in fleeing back into the bathroom, so I pretended I was still wearing my clothes, and so was he. He didn't bat an eye lid, kept his eye balls strictly above my chin and asked "would you like me to pour for you, madam?" I was so impressed - how's that for excellent staff training!

I've had a very soft spot for the Saveloy ever since.

Reminds me of a scene in Carry on Cruising. Sid James is the Captain and instructing the dumb new crew member on his duties. Dmb new CM knocks on door and walks in and finds Carry-on cutie in her undies, boggles and doesn't know what to say. Sid James explains to him that he should simply have said, "I'm so sorry, Sir" and closed the door immediately. They knock on the next door. Couple snogging away together. Dumb new CM says: "Would either of you two gentlemen like tea?"

1 person likes this

Merry Crimble and HNY to you to Uschi, and thanks for your posts over the months, they cheer me up.  Sounds like you have Christmas beautifully sorted.  I'm kicking back with some Polish beer and listening to the Pogues.

One day maybe I'll tell you of when I worked for the DHSS back in the 70s and 80s and had to visit the Savoy kitchens to track down itinerant workers washing dishes there.  The life I witnessed "below stairs" was a world apart from what the guest were living in!

I've spent a small fortune on my girls - hence no punting for me for a while until it's all paid off.  They're spending the run up to Christmas, and the day itself with their mother and her family, but I'll pick them up the evening of Christmas Day and they'll stay with me and spend Boxing Day with me too.  It will be the first year I haven't cooked their Christmas dinner and eaten it with them so it's hard, but I'm looking forward to seeing them in the evening

Edited by bean57

And there was me thinking this was going to be a thread about a new Festive Deodorant on sale :ph34r:

1 person likes this

Have a wonderful holiday season, bean. Sorry about your changed circumstances re. your children. I'm sure they'll be delighted you're such a generous Dad, but I think the best thing you can give your kids are wonderful memories, rather than "stuff". So I hope you have a really great time together, with moments they'll remember fondly in 50 years' time.

Indeed - Merry Christmas as well.  Looking forward to a bit of free time over the holidays like most people to relax.  Last punt of the year on Friday with a lady who I have been looking forward to seeing for a while and then off until Jan.  In case any of you guys are going to Winter Wonderland which is one of my favourite Christmas season activites - use the North queue...much shorter wait than the South queue (i.e. ~30min vs. 2+ hrs). 

Merry Crimble and HNY to you to Uschi, and thanks for your posts over the months, they cheer me up.  Sounds like you have Christmas beautifully sorted.  I'm kicking back with some Polish beer and listening to the Pogues.

One day maybe I'll tell you of when I worked for the DHSS back in the 70s and 80s and had to visit the Savoy kitchens to track down itinerant workers washing dishes there.  The life I witnessed "below stairs" was a world apart from what the guest were living in!

I've spent a small fortune on my girls - hence no punting for me for a while until it's all paid off.  They're spending the run up to Christmas, and the day itself with their mother and her family, but I'll pick them up the evening of Christmas Day and they'll stay with me and spend Boxing Day with me too.  It will be the first year I haven't cooked their Christmas dinner and eaten it with them so it's hard, but I'm looking forward to seeing them in the evening

I think your post has highlighted what Christmas means to some people.  It's not all sweetness and light.  Tough on children too when they know they are like 'pig in the middle' and feel they have to please everyone else.

I think you should have a 'me' day, and do what ever the hell you like... get  up when you like and eat whatever takes your fancy..  make it a 'chill day'.  I am almost jealous at the thought of it.  In order for my family to have a great day I will have to work bloody hard.  The only saving grace is my lunch out.  Otherwise I would be cooking for a lot of people and washing up afterwards.

Hope you have a lovely day and all the other people spending it alone too x

2 people like this

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope that the festive period brings joy.