Autumn Temptation

Warning - Your Iphone Exposes Your Exact Punt Locations

39 posts in this topic

Copied this from another board... Thought it would help to do the rounds on ALL forums.
With thanks to Barry Shipton from UKP, who was the original poster, of this info.

Thought I had better flag this up quick before Mumsnet are all over it and advising members to use it to spy on their husband's movements. The new iPhone iOS 7 update could reveal the exact time and location of your punts.

I read about this feature when it came out but when I punt I turn on Airplane Mode which cuts off all data and phone connections, assuming it would also stop the phone communicating your exact location - it doesn't!

It shows exactly where I was for 90 minutes yesterday with the precise time of arrival, departure, the exact address including house number and a full record of how many times I have been there before - the divorce lawyers are gonna love this.

But Apple have buried it deep in the system software. To find it and turn it off go to:
Settings - Privacy - Location Services -Scroll right down to the bottom of the long list to 
System Services - bottom item again - Frequent Locations.

Either go into this and turn it off to prevent it recording future locations, or after punting remember to scroll to the bottom of the 'History' list and press 'clear history'.

This appears to be turned on by default - so if you have just upgraded to iOS 7 or have got a new iPhone with it on then I recommend sorting it ASAP - unless of course you're not married and don't care. Or of course you use a cheap punting phone and leave the iPhone behind.

Thanks for posting that - I am moving it to the Tech forum and pinning it.

I tried this on mine but under system services I cant find "frequent locations". Think I will just turn it off and leave in the car! lol

Yep I've posted this on another thread on here recently after I discovered it by accident myself. Good idea that it has it's own thread title.

Also worth mentioning for those who have an ipad as well as an iphone - remember that if you use your iphone to text a wg, and she also has an iphone with imessage switched on - the message will not only go through to your iphone but to your ipad as well....which could cause problems if your ipad is left unattended at home!

This happened to me recently when I was responding to a text about a booking with a wg I'd seen before, and unbeknown to me she'd just treated herself to a new iphone!

I make sure my ipad is locked and all notifications and badges are turned off with regards messages, but it still gave me a fright when I saw her messages on my ipad!

there must be a widget that manages this.

either that or drop the bloody thing in the bath, claim on insurance and get something that doesn't track you.

1 person likes this

Yep I've posted this on another thread on here recently after I discovered it by accident myself. Good idea that it has it's own thread title.

Also worth mentioning for those who have an ipad as well as an iphone - remember that if you use your iphone to text a wg, and she also has an iphone with imessage switched on - the message will not only go through to your iphone but to your ipad as well....which could cause problems if your ipad is left unattended at home!

This happened to me recently when I was responding to a text about a booking with a wg I'd seen before, and unbeknown to me she'd just treated herself to a new iphone!

I make sure my ipad is locked and all notifications and badges are turned off with regards messages, but it still gave me a fright when I saw her messages on my ipad!

sounds to me that i-stuff is unsuitable for punters.  Too much interconectivity for our clandestine hobby.

2 people like this

sounds to me that i-stuff is unsuitable for punters.  Too much interconectivity for our clandestine hobby.

It's not ideal, but like anything it's ok if you're careful! I've got a couple of apps where I keep wg's numbers etc., which can only be accessed via a password. So the device itself is password protected, browsing is all password protected and history etc., deleted on exiting the browser, and contact info all password protected as well.

With regards the tracking in ios7, that can be turned off.

Another thing to remember is don't let anyone know your Apple id, or they can track you via find my iphone!

Another thing to remember is don't let anyone know your Apple id, or they can track you via find my iphone!

Wouldn't they need to know your password too?

Wouldn't they need to know your password too?

Sorry, yes indeed - id and password...

Just checked mine and found that it tracked me going to HoD SW7 every Tuesday afternoon at the same time!

Likewise shows what time I leave home and get to work FFS - what is this Orwell/Apple?

Doesn't matter to me as I'm a free agent but could be dangerous in the wrong hands :o

Its supposed to be to help apple with their maps system.

But it logs a lot more than that.

One reason I haven't upgraded to a smart phone for everyday use,  My 8 y/o nokia is just fine for calls and texts. If I need the internet or other stuff when away from my PC I swap my sim over but no way do I need to be tracked

One reason I haven't upgraded to a smart phone for everyday use,  My 8 y/o nokia is just fine for calls and texts. If I need the internet or other stuff when away from my PC I swap my sim over but no way do I need to be tracked

love the old nokia 3310s those things could be thrown off a bridge and still work 

Glad I wandered across this!

Just goes to show that advances in technology aren't always "progress"! I'm glad of my old Nokia which lives at the bottom of my desk drawer as a "spare for charging the battery". The SIM card is in another room inside the pocket of a coat I wear for funerals.

Copied this from another board... Thought it would help to do the rounds on ALL forums.

With thanks to Barry Shipton from UKP, who was the original poster, of this info.

Thought I had better flag this up quick before Mumsnet are all over it and advising members to use it to spy on their husband's movements. The new iPhone iOS 7 update could reveal the exact time and location of your punts.

I read about this feature when it came out but when I punt I turn on Airplane Mode which cuts off all data and phone connections, assuming it would also stop the phone communicating your exact location - it doesn't!

It shows exactly where I was for 90 minutes yesterday with the precise time of arrival, departure, the exact address including house number and a full record of how many times I have been there before - the divorce lawyers are gonna love this.

But Apple have buried it deep in the system software. To find it and turn it off go to:

Settings - Privacy - Location Services -Scroll right down to the bottom of the long list to 

System Services - bottom item again - Frequent Locations.

Either go into this and turn it off to prevent it recording future locations, or after punting remember to scroll to the bottom of the 'History' list and press 'clear history'.

This appears to be turned on by default - so if you have just upgraded to iOS 7 or have got a new iPhone with it on then I recommend sorting it ASAP - unless of course you're not married and don't care. Or of course you use a cheap punting phone and leave the iPhone behind.

LOL, Me I am switching it off and I hide it outside my house :)

Just goes to show that advances in technology aren't always "progress"! I'm glad of my old Nokia which lives at the bottom of my desk drawer as a "spare for charging the battery". The SIM card is in another room inside the pocket of a coat I wear for funerals.

Just make sure it isn't found and turns out to be your funeral ;)

I remember back in the low(er) tech days I had a secret address book - it was basically a very small calculator, but if you pressed certain keys in a sequence it opened a hidden directory, which then needed a password to open it. Fantastic at the time! :)

Just checked mine and found that it tracked me going to HoD SW7 every Tuesday afternoon at the same time!

Likewise shows what time I leave home and get to work FFS - what is this Orwell/Apple?

Doesn't matter to me as I'm a free agent but could be dangerous in the wrong hands :o

Not sure if PN legal to quote on your own post, but here goes...... as an update to the above, the f*cker iPhone also recorded the street and house number to within a 1-8 range of the HoD Maida Vale flat (RIP) I was visiting - even had a map FFS, plus the time I entered (the area that is ;) ) and what time I withdrew (from the area that is), it also timed me at exactly 1 hour! Could have been difficult to explain if there had been a Mrs Londoner and I claimed to be at work that day.

Still, like most people, I wouldn't be without it (my iPhone that is!), people just need to study what it can do and make sure that default settings don't f*ck you up.

I tend to agree with most comments here though, including my own (again) which is to have a cheapo, basic punting fone and either leave your iPhone at home or turn the f*cker off before you venture forth!!!!

Just make sure it isn't found and turns out to be your funeral ;)

I remember back in the low(er) tech days I had a secret address book - it was basically a very small calculator, but if you pressed certain keys in a sequence it opened a hidden directory, which then needed a password to open it. Fantastic at the time! :)

If it is found, there are no numbers stored on it, no call records, no texts either in or out. In fact a totally blank sim card which, if found, could give out no incriminating information.  (I hope!!).

Not sure if PN legal to quote on your own post, but here goes...... as an update to the above, the f*cker iPhone also recorded the street and house number to within a 1-8 range of the HoD Maida Vale flat (RIP) I was visiting - even had a map FFS, plus the time I entered (the area that is ;) ) and what time I withdrew (from the area that is), it also timed me at exactly 1 hour! Could have been difficult to explain if there had been a Mrs Londoner and I claimed to be at work that day.

Still, like most people, I wouldn't be without it (my iPhone that is!), people just need to study what it can do and make sure that default settings don't f*ck you up.

I tend to agree with most comments here though, including my own (again) which is to have a cheapo, basic punting fone and either leave your iPhone at home or turn the f*cker off before you venture forth!!!!

You can switch off the frequent location tracking if you wish...

http://www.imore.com/how-turn-off-ios-7-location-tracking-increase-privacy

Quite, but some are totally obliv that its there!

As was I until I found to my horror that nearly everything in the list was punting related! :o

I think smart phones in general, whether you're married/relationship is quite 'dangerous'.

I'd certainly recommend using a Pay As U Go SIM in a cheap non-smart phone, just in case. I did a recent google maps check, and it shows every single place you go. So if you insist on using a smart phone and need googlemaps as your sat nav - delete the history too and turn off tracking.

Also if you're using whatsapp or viber, which some people forget uses your real name/info as your profile ID - unless you change it. If you've contacted ladies they might be able to find out who you really are, as if both parties are using these apps, the contacts automatically show up.

Silly story. I added a WG's number who i found on AW recently, who was on my list of top priorities to go and see, as she was gorgeous from her profile photos. One day her name popped up, showing her real photo on Whatsapp...Oh dear... lets just say she was immediately Deleted!! Bait & Switch. Phew.

:ph34r:

Edited by earlgreyman

Also if you're using whatsapp or viber, which some people forget uses your real name/info as your profile ID - unless you change it. If you've contacted ladies they might be able to find out who you really are, as if both parties are using these apps, the contacts automatically show up.

Not sure you're correct with whatsapp. As far as I know it only shows the name you have in your contacts for the other person...and your name will only show as what they have you saved as in their contacts on their phone.