LEXX

Keeping Punts Secret

75 posts in this topic

I was free and single a few years back when I started punting , now I have a girlfriend and all my punts have to be done carefully and in secret. I don't even tell most of my friends.

I was wondering what measures guys take to ensure their other halves do not find out.

I was free and single a few years back when I started punting , now I have a girlfriend and all my punts have to be done carefully and in secret. I don't even tell most of my friends.

I was wondering what measures guys take to ensure their other halves do not find out.

Have a dedicated punting phone or Sim for starters. If you use a shared computer to search and/or contact WGs be very careful. Have a good cover story if your partner is nosy. Mine has been Golf, even when the weather was bad i have used going to the driving range as an excuse. I do also play Golf and have sometimes played a round using a buggy and then punted or vice versa. The good thing has been i have said i was playing with guys at the club so i didnt need to involve a mate in my cover story that often. I also play on various courses and was purposely vague what one i would be at on a particular day. If you have a very nosy partner who asks you to account for your time to the minute virtually as i know some punters do from reading threads on here then its of course that much harder. I have never been under the thumb as i view it like that. Golf is a good excuse for me as a round with a buggy might only take a couple of hours but i could easily say it took four. Whatever excuse you use ensure its believable to your partner obviously.

Above all else treat making sure your partner doesnt find out as your top priority, never get complacent, a punting mate of mine got caught out by a bit of glitter that was stuck to his back. He had had two showers since the punt, i have found WGs using glitter rare nowadays, it was much more prevalent years ago. But the smell of perfume or smoke if a non smoker can give you away.

2 people like this

There's all sorts of avoidance techniques. But you will be caught through your own carelessness. What you need to think of is how to deal with that.

You've got to make sure your cover story is utterly believable, and explains away all the things that might get noticed, such as your hair blatantly having been washed since she last saw you, even if it's fully dry. My cover story tends to be the gym, because:

- it's a similar length of time to a punt, and if I get held up I can just say "I had to wait ages to get on the squat rack" or whatever

- it doesn't look suspicious that I've had a shower, so it doesn't matter if I come home with damp hair etc

- I don't need to involve other people in the lie (in the past I've had to hide my hobby from family members who know my friends, so "I'm off for a drink with John and the guys" doesn't work if they then bump into John the next day and say "oh I hear you guys were at the pub last night?")

- it's something I do regularly anyway, so it doesn't look suspicious or out-of-character (whereas suddenly announcing I was going to go running would look very weird)

- it doesn't look suspicious if I have sore body parts the next day

- if I go out wearing my gym gear, I don't risk getting the smell of another woman on my normal clothes, and by the time I chuck them in the wash I just make sure I've actually been to the gym enough times to mask any smells with my own sweat

On top of all that, I'm just a really, really bad liar, so there needs to be a grain of truth in anything I say. So saying "I'm off for a workout" or "I'm away to burn some calories" isn't a lie, and I can therefore say it without giving any tell-tale facial cues away.

I've done some dodgy ones in the past though, such as pretending I was going to the cinema ("so how was the film?"), meeting mates at the pub ("so what's the gossip with the guys?") or going shopping ("what, it took you all that time just to get that?"). In fact, one time I was spotted by a friend's wife, who then posted on my Facebook wall that they'd seen me walking about. Luckily my excuse was good enough, but it just goes to show, you can never be 100% in control. There's always a risk someone will randomly see you walking out of a strange house or flat.

My job makes it easier for me to nip away from work during the day if there's a punt nearby. It is also possible to invent exceptional circumstances connected with my job, which means I can usually fix a punt out of normal hours.

Mrs Bloom also has a job, so she is out much of the day too.

If you have a dedicated punting fone (basic payg models are best) make sure it autolocks after a very short period, say 1 minute or less. Even then, if you want to save contacts, be careful with names - use Carl for Carly, Gene for Gena, etc and most important of all, delete history.

Also, if your normal fone is an iPhone and you take it with you on punts, make sure you disable location services as it could be difficult to explain why you were in SW7 for example when you had claimed to be out playing golf (playing around instead of playing a round!). There was a useful topic about this recently.

If you have a dedicated punting fone (basic payg models are best) make sure it autolocks after a very short period, say 1 minute or less. Even then, if you want to save contacts, be careful with names - use Carl for Carly, Gene for Gena, etc and most important of all, delete history.

Also, if your normal fone is an iPhone and you take it with you on punts, make sure you disable location services as it could be difficult to explain why you were in SW7 for example when you had claimed to be out playing golf (playing around instead of playing a round!). There was a useful topic about this recently.

many on here advise a separate punting fone.

I would find this would not suit me.  Keeping a separate fone from where mrs cp would not find it would be impossible, ann unexplainable.

and a separate punting sim. well apart from leaving history on modern phones, where would you keep it?  and a spare sim would be as difficult to explain as a spare fone.

so i keep my fone locked and use erasers to clean the fone of history.

and I bought mrs CP her own laptop so she doesnt use mine.

but its each to their own circumstances. there is no one size fits all solution to this

except never be careless.

2 people like this

but its each to their own circumstances. there is no one size fits all solution to this

I've tried a punting phone, doesn't work for me as I already have a personal phone and one for work, a third phone is more difficult to explain and frankly a pain in the arse. I just use my personal phone now, but it is secure with punting related stuff safely locked away.

The never be careless comment is the most important one IMO. It's easy to become complacent and I've caught myself out several times - receipts for large cash withdrawals when I hardly ever use cash for anything, and on one occasion I found a hotel check out receipt from an overnight in a coat pocket - a couple of months after the event. At least discovering these things myself has taught me to be more careful!

1 person likes this

Use a Mac. Have two different logins. PC users don't like to mess with Macs. Everything about it is more secure anyway.

Use a Mac. Have two different logins. PC users don't like to mess with Macs. Everything about it is more secure anyway.

This. Just always, always Log Out from your Secret account. Same approach would work for Windows actually I'd have thought.

I'm another one who found the Punting Phone/Punting SIM more of a risk than not; I once forgot which SIM was installed and nearly called home using the Punting SIM - would have been very difficult to explain the strange number I was calling from.

Generally this has never been an issue to bother me all that much. Keeping punts secret has usually been easy enough and that has been the case through my time with all my girlfriends as well. I worked in the city for many years and that made it easy enough for my movements not to be tracked. I would never dream of using a punting phone or SIM as I am too prone to absent-mindedly mislaying stuff.

I am lucky that my wife is not really computer literate and I get away with deleting browsing history and indeed phone-call history too. Three years ago she went through my phone text messages and found a few messages arranging to meeting a girl for a blow-job and another for a massage. That led to a seriously uncomfortable couple of days, but my phone had been lost briefly a few weeks before and I collected it from a guy in a pub who had found it. I was able to create enough doubt around his 'character' and blame him to be able to wriggle out of that situation. I also think that she simply did not want to believe it anyway.  

It is sad to say but she'd have no idea of the importance of sex in my life so she probably wouldn't suspect that I'd even have the interest to go down that road.

I don't work in the city anymore and my movements as regards work are less random but I can get away with 'going for a walk' or sometimes the gym when I want to punt these days. Options are also available nearer to home, courtesy of the internet, than would have been the case years ago too.

But absolute secrecy is not possible. I was about to enter a parlour a few days ago and say a guy walk in when I was about fifty yards away. He hardly realised that someone saw him and knew his exact business. I am sure that must often have happened to me over the years. There is often I suppose the protection that someone - if they recognised you - might not be able to 'out' you without outing themselves too! It would be difficult to explain how you knew the activities of a random apartment. But suffice to say that you are always vulnerable in this game.

Been married a long time.

I don't mess with her phone, computer, life.

She does not mess with my phones, computers, life.

If you feel guilty, you will act guilty. I've got a spare SIM, its just laying about.

If I hid it it might be more interesting.

Use a smartphone for everything and keep it close at all times, with shortest auto lock and bizarre password.

many on here advise a separate punting fone.

I would find this would not suit me.  Keeping a separate fone from where mrs cp would not find it would be impossible, ann unexplainable.

and a separate punting sim. well apart from leaving history on modern phones, where would you keep it?  and a spare sim would be as difficult to explain as a spare fone.

so i keep my fone locked and use erasers to clean the fone of history.

and I bought mrs CP her own laptop so she doesnt use mine.

So you couldnt hide a tiny Sim card anywhere Cov, i find that hard to believe, however what you do is of course up to you.

Use a smartphone for everything and keep it close at all times, with shortest auto lock and bizarre password.

I have exactly the opposite, an old basic phone that is good enough for punting. As Rays post above says be careful with at least some Smartphones as they can track your movements if you dont disable the function. Personally i wouldnt want to take an expensive phone to a punt just in case or leave it in my car. If i lose my basic phone i can easily replace it at virtually no cost.

Been married a long time.

I don't mess with her phone, computer, life.

She does not mess with my phones, computers, life.

If you feel guilty, you will act guilty. I've got a spare SIM, its just laying about.

If I hid it it might be more interesting.

Living dangerously, eh...?

...and always remember, reverting to pre.techy days but it's just as true now, always clear out your pockets regularly. (Check out the Downton Abbey Christmas special.)

I also have a secure flash drive on which I store punting history, etc (files are also password protected).

This is a serious, but small, gizmo since it wipes all data and detonates (or something like that) if a wrong password is used 3 times! :o

I have exactly the opposite, an old basic phone that is good enough for punting. As Rays post above says be careful with at least some Smartphones as they can track your movements if you dont disable the function. Personally i wouldnt want to take an expensive phone to a punt just in case or leave it in my car. If i lose my basic phone i can easily replace it at virtually no cost.

I use my smartphone for everything in daily life, plus all contacts (coded where necessary), mails, AW business and all PN activity. My only concern is ensuring my phone and other devices don't link e.g messages also showing on my iPad- this is habitually checked.

Remember the old saying about ''careless talk'' (and I'm to blame as much as anybody) - Mummiesnet could be taking notes! :eek:

Despite all these precautions - do you think your other halves are completely oblivious? or do you think actually they suspect what you get up to? I'm pretty confident mine knows, but after close on 20 years of marriage it's not a relationship breaker; whereas me having an affair would be far more threatening

Despite all these precautions - do you think your other halves are completely oblivious? or do you think actually they suspect what you get up to? I'm pretty confident mine knows, but after close on 20 years of marriage it's not a relationship breaker; whereas me having an affair would be far more threatening

Just wondering what makes you confident that they know? Presumably it is more than a hunch? I would be surprised if my wife knew what I got up to and stood idly by.

I was free and single a few years back when I started punting , now I have a girlfriend and all my punts have to be done carefully and in secret. I don't even tell most of my friends.I was wondering what measures guys take to ensure their other halves do not find out.

Imho, not telling "most" of your friends is the biggest risk. Convert that to telling NONE of your friends and that is your biggest security risk sorted.

Secondly, lace your lies with the truth. If you are visiting Milton Keynes for a hot session, tell your GF that you are going to MK for a business meeting/school reunion/squash game/ whatever. That way if you have an accident or get caught speeding on the way there, you have a good reason for being there.

For goodness sake get a punting sim and use that. It's amazing what you get in terms of texts in this game. If one arrived whilst you were showing the GF photos of your skiing holiday, your nadgers would get served to you on toast.

1 person likes this

.and a separate punting sim. well apart from leaving history on modern phones, where would you keep it?

I keep mine in the battery compartment of my phone. It fits perfectly and is somewhere no one would ever think to look. It also means it's readily available when I need it. Clearly this won't work on every phone.

Edited by Kantos Kan