Jonnybgood

Telephone Preference Service (TPS).

11 posts in this topic

I use TPS to keep cold callers at bay, and it works well apart from the odd Indian call centre and that annoying call that begins with a long pause then the annoying female american voice, 'Congratulations you have won a holiday'. So I was really pissed off yesterday when BT of all people got through and tried to sell me broadband. Anybody know if BT are exempt from TPS as they own the system.

I use TPS to keep cold callers at bay, and it works well apart from the odd Indian call centre and that annoying call that begins with a long pause then the annoying female american voice, 'Congratulations you have won a holiday'. So I was really pissed off yesterday when BT of all people got through and tried to sell me broadband. Anybody know if BT are exempt from TPS as they own the system.

Any connections with BT are not included :D

Any connections with BT are not included :D

Thanks for that, I had them take me off their list.

I used to work in telecoms and as far as I am aware BT have nothing to do with TPS who are an independent organisation and as far as I know BT are not exempted. However if as a BT customer you have agreed to them contacting you with offers, then like any other company they can call you.

You also have be beware of giving out your number to any company without ticking or unticking the box that takes away/gives permission to contact you for marketing reasons.

Um were they actually BT because other companies have a nasty trick of saying they are "calling on behalf of BT" or "working on behalf of BT". Anyone who uses those words are actually calling from a different SP who simply uses BT network to provide their service - they are not BT and many a person has been duped by this. When it last happened to me (I'm TPS too) I asked who paid their wages and they wouldn't answer, consulted their supervisor and terminated the call!

So it may not have been who you think it was.

I agree with Strawberry - hidden in your small print with BT will be a clause allowing BT to catch you with marketing calls.

As an aside, I was pestered by a particular double-glazing company with continued calls over several months (despite being TPS registered). I was told that the best thing to do is wait until the next time they call, then say something like "Don't you realise that I'm registered with the TPS ? I have got your number on caller display, and will be registering a complaint."

Apparently that really causes them problems, and is the only sure fire way of getting your number off their database :o And its worked for me so far !!

I too registred with TPS above but to be honest i still seem to get a lot of cold callers inc d glazing/insurance/surveys etc so i do wonder if these companys have a way of getting around the registration with the above

TPS only covers cold calling. If you have had contact with them before then TPS is irrelivant

dont forget the junk mail MPS

I too registred with TPS above but to be honest i still seem to get a lot of cold callers inc d glazing/insurance/surveys etc so i do wonder if these companys have a way of getting around the registration with the above

This is a technique to get round the TPS, as surveys are I think exempted from the TPS restrictions. Not all surveys are quite what they seem, and in reality it is a sales call masquerading as a survey :confused:

I agree with Strawberry - hidden in your small print with BT will be a clause allowing BT to catch you with marketing calls.

As an aside, I was pestered by a particular double-glazing company with continued calls over several months (despite being TPS registered). I was told that the best thing to do is wait until the next time they call, then say something like "Don't you realise that I'm registered with the TPS ? I have got your number on caller display, and will be registering a complaint."

Apparently that really causes them problems, and is the only sure fire way of getting your number off their database :confused: And its worked for me so far !!

At my last house I got called by a double glazing salesman, 'Can I interest you in double glazing', 'NO', 'What about guttering and fascia boards', 'NO', 'Ok what about a new conservatory', 'NO', very miffed caller, 'I suppose you've got everything then', 'YES Ive just fucking moved into a new house, goodbye'. Im not as polite now.

I have set up TPS for many of my elderly customers however it has to be redone yearly

This is a technique to get round the TPS, as surveys are I think exempted from the TPS restrictions. Not all surveys are quite what they seem, and in reality it is a sales call masquerading as a survey :P

Yes, market research is not covered by TPS. In fact, in the case of representative surveys, it is a legal requirement for the numbers to be randomly generated so that the company cannot be accused of trying to tailor the sample to produce a desired result. I used to work for MORI and can't even begin to count the number of times I had to try to explain this to someone swearing at me down the phone because they were on TPS.

Some unscrupulous companies will pretend to be a market research company in order to get you on the phone and listening to a sales pitch. Another technique is that they will sometimes ask for a fictitious name, and when you tell them it's a wrong number will express surprise because that person enquired about their services and gave this number, and then they'll go into the pitch.