Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carnival

Police Chiefs Denounce Police Approach To Prostitution As A Mess

12 posts in this topic

Interesting article in today's Observer:-

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/19/woman-killed-prostitute-police-blame

Two of Britain's most senior police chiefs concerned with the issue have entered the fray, denouncing the police approach to prostitution as a mess and saying that operations to tackle the trade are "counterproductive" and likely to put the lives of women at risk. Dismissing legislation as "outdated", they call for a change in the law to allow a group of women to work together.

Chris Armitt, the national police lead on prostitution in England and Wales, also called for a review of enforcement tactics aimed at prosecuting prostitutes. "We are not going to enforce our way out of this problem. It simply won't work. I feel it would be good to allow a small group of women to work together, otherwise it creates a situation where they are working away from other human support. I think the disadvantages of working alone outweigh the advantages."

Not sure I feel entirely convinced about some of the statistics in the section at the foot of the article entitled "The Business of Sex". I wish newspapers would footnote this sort of thing with references to sources. If wikipedia can do it....... 

========================================================================================

Meanwhile,as has been pointed out on another PN forum, there is another interesting article in today's Observer colour supplement about developments in Soho:-

Rupert Everett in defence of prostitutes: 'There is a land grab going on' http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/19/rupert-everett-in-defence-of-prostitutes

1 person likes this

What wonderful commonsense from people at the coal face!

Indeed the new real genuine cross community police service of Northern Ireland (the PSNI)have come out strongly against the Swedish Model being implemented there!

But then again the new Glasgow dominated National Scottish police service went for an early and easy PR spectacular in targetting the perfectly legal Edinburgh Saunas! They actually even suggested as a precondition to allowing them to continue that no condoms be allowed on the various premises!

Edited by SlickWilly

The problem is just not legislation but the way the police forces operate differently across the country and within their own patches. Classic example GMP who are so far tolerant in Manchester central area but had recently raided establishments elsewhere. This could be improve by merging police forces. I like to have West Yorkshire amalgamated into GMP.

The problem is just not legislation but the way the police forces operate differently across the country and within their own patches. Classic example GMP who are so far tolerant in Manchester central area but had recently raided establishments elsewhere. This could be improve by merging police forces. I like to have West Yorkshire amalgamated into GMP.

The Greater Manchester area raids had to with a lot more issues than just paid for sex! If you break the unwritten rules which they let parlour owners know about, they will close you down!

I'm not sure amalgamating police forces will help e.g. the Glasgow dominated National Scottish Police force in part wanted to rub Edinburgh's nose in it with the insane raids!

Edited by SlickWilly

It certainly is the case that the legislation is a complete mess and to call it 'outdated' is about the kindest thing to say about it.

It is ill-targeted, counter-productive and largely unenforceable. The extent to which there is enforcement seems to be a postcode lottery depending on the will of senior plod.

I'm far from sure that the status quo is acceptable insofar as it denies the right of working women to do so together in the interests of their safety. I'm no fan of European legislation but it seems to me to be a basic right to work so far as possible in a safe environment.

Uncle Pokey 

Interesting article in today's Observer:-

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/19/woman-killed-prostitute-police-blame

Two of Britain's most senior police chiefs concerned with the issue have entered the fray, denouncing the police approach to prostitution as a mess and saying that operations to tackle the trade are "counterproductive" and likely to put the lives of women at risk. Dismissing legislation as "outdated", they call for a change in the law to allow a group of women to work together.

Chris Armitt, the national police lead on prostitution in England and Wales, also called for a review of enforcement tactics aimed at prosecuting prostitutes. "We are not going to enforce our way out of this problem. It simply won't work. I feel it would be good to allow a small group of women to work together, otherwise it creates a situation where they are working away from other human support. I think the disadvantages of working alone outweigh the advantages."

Not sure I feel entirely convinced about some of the statistics in the section at the foot of the article entitled "The Business of Sex". I wish newspapers would footnote this sort of thing with references to sources. If wikipedia can do it....... 

========================================================================================

Meanwhile,as has been pointed out on another PN forum, there is another interesting article in today's Observer colour supplement about developments in Soho:-

Rupert Everett in defence of prostitutes: 'There is a land grab going on' http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jan/19/rupert-everett-in-defence-of-prostitutes

I found it an interesting article but like you i am not convinced by the stats given at the end.

The Greater Manchester area raids had to with a lot more issues than just paid for sex! If you break the unwritten rules which they let parlour owners know about, they will close you down!

I'm not sure amalgamating police forces will help e.g. the Glasgow dominated National Scottish Police force in part wanted to rub Edinburgh's nose in it with the insane raids!

What unwritten rules are they?

What unwritten rules are they?

Rules such as no criminal involvement, no money laudering and no drugs on premises and no trafficked Women (I don't think the latter featured in the closures).

Obviously all forces across the country operating sensibly would be better, but what if the opposite happened? What if West Yorkshire were taken over by GMP?

An advantage of different approaches is that we can see what works and what doesn't work. There are forces which adopt a tolerant approach, and guess what? the sky doesn't fall in as a result. Equally we can see how hard line approaches are counter-productive.

Obviously all forces across the country operating sensibly would be better, but what if the opposite happened? What if West Yorkshire were taken over by GMP?

An advantage of different approaches is that we can see what works and what doesn't work. There are forces which adopt a tolerant approach, and guess what? the sky doesn't fall in as a result. Equally we can see how hard line approaches are counter-productive.

The Metropolitan look after 20 million and then rest of the country is divided into 43. Its bonkers! By merging the smaller forces they can provide some kind of balance to the heavy weights of the MET, GMP, WYP and West Midlands.

The bigger forces(outside the four mentioned)  may spend time tackling serious crime instead of playing political football.

The Metropolitan look after 20 million and then rest of the country is divided into 43. Its bonkers! By merging the smaller forces they can provide some kind of balance to the heavy weights of the MET, GMP, WYP and West Midlands.

The bigger forces(outside the four mentioned)  may spend time tackling serious crime instead of playing political football.

The optimum number and size of forces is a rather different question from the point about forces operating differently.