Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Victoria Kavanagh

Hello People Of Mk

36 posts in this topic

Hello and thanks in advance for any whom reply. Later this year, i will be travelling down to MK and was wondering if there are any areas of interest you could recommend whilst im down between working. If helps I love photography. Also since never travelled this far south before in England, would you say MK is easy to navigate by car...can't be worse than Washington...can it? LOL

sorry just realised yes it is wrong section, my bad. if a mod could put this where belongs. never good in to try posting in a hurry lol. thank you x

would you say MK is easy to navigate by car...can't be worse than Washington...can it? LOL

Wae'aye Vicki! Driving in MK is OK as long as you like roundabouts! :D

Not much of picturesque interest in MK as it's a new town, but there are some old villages, plus Oxford & the Cotswolds aren't far away.

I hope you have fun, a genuine redhead who offers A is a rare thing! :cool:

1 person likes this

In the city centre itself no...

But there is some very picturesque parks, nature reserves etc

MK is on a grid system, so every place has 4 entrances, it's easy to navigate, and if you get lost easy enough to rectify.

some of the outlying villages are very picturesque depends on what type of pics you like to take hon.

xx

1 person likes this

With regard to photography, it rather depends on your preferred subject matter but there are some surprisingly beautiful architectural opportunities that can provide rich fodder to the outdoor photographer. Haversham arches, caught in the right light, is somewhere that would never occur to most people but can yield impressive shots. 180 degrees away, Stowe Landscape Gardens is the obvious place to take a camera. There are lots of equally interesting sites between (metaphorically speaking) the two. If nature has any appeal, Milton Keynes is -- beyond its immediate borders -- mainly farmland. If you're down in the spring, lambing season can offer a plethora of worth-recording experiences.

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you want to brainstorm ideas.

1 person likes this

There are a lot of beautiful little old villages around and about Milton Keynes plus the odd country house etc. Lots of beautiful countryside. The statues in mk are not really my thing but if you love modern art then there is plenty to photograph. Newport Pagnell has a lovely old church and a very old picturesque graveyard too which is great to just chill out in the sun in if you are here in the summer. The river Ouse runs here there and everywhere around here so plenty of tributaries to follow on country walks. Picturesque villages all over the place and also of course the canals.  

It'll be nice to have a fellow redtop here so let me know when you are coming   ^_^ x

Edited by Chloe Kisses

There are a lot of beautiful little old villages around and about Milton Keynes plus the odd country house etc. Lots of beautiful countryside. The statues in mk are not really my thing but if you love modern art then there is plenty to photograph. Newport Pagnell has a lovely old church and a very old picturesque graveyard too which is great to just chill out in the sun in if you are here in the summer. The river Ouse runs here there and everywhere around here so plenty of tributaries to follow on country walks. Picturesque villages all over the place and also of course the canals.  

It'll be nice to have a fellow redtop here so let me know when you are coming   ^_^ x

I always had in mind that a black and white study of 24 hours in the life of Netherfield/Fishermead/Tinker's Bridge (you get the idea) would make for an interesting portfolio... To those who see only roundabouts, Milton Keynes is a surprisingly well-kept secret. I suspect a bit of creativity and there's quite a bit of mileage in a camera and a few concrete cows too.

1 person likes this

Does MK still have the cows?

I haven't been up north for a while. I do actually like MK though :)

Indeed it does Ray, not only in the centre but they also move about now... Hehe

I hope I am right but as far as I recall one of the nicest and closest villages in Milton Keynes is called Milton Keynes village.

Am I right?

Some of the cows (the original ones from the field or copies?) are in a linking area between parts of the shopping centre on the way to Italian cafe by the froggy clock.

and no-one has mentioned Bletchley Park yet?

a fascinating day out.  There is the beautiful house, and exhibits about the code breaking.  and in the national computing museum, they have some old mainframes, but the star is the first ever computer, colossus (well its a rebuild, the real thing was smashed after ww2)

blimey lol, could quite easily move south at this rate :-P but seriously though that is great to know all of this infomation.Should I sort my times etc it sounds i'm really going to not be lost with things to do and places to go x

I hope I am right but as far as I recall one of the nicest and closest villages in Milton Keynes is called Milton Keynes village.

Am I right?

Some of the cows (the original ones from the field or copies?) are in a linking area between parts of the shopping centre on the way to Italian cafe by the froggy clock.

OMG of course…the froggy clock.  :D

1 person likes this

Several villages around and about just a few of which are  Gayhurst, Stoke Goldington, Tyringham, Newport Pagnell and of course the deliciously tiny Lathbury, its still a sorrow to my heart that I no longer live there, dead end, loved it. Tiny little very old church which  is wonderful to explore even if it does not take very long. I used to live in one of the cottages literally on the opposite side of the road. Take a walk on the footpath to the right and you will find yourself mostly to gayhurst anyhow. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathbury

Edited by Chloe Kisses

Am I right?

The cows in the shopping centre are copies of the originals that are in a field easily seen from a main road. The whole point of this art installation is the fact that they are fake cows in a real field .It is a statement dealing with the imposition of  man  upon a natural enviroment. Putting fake cows in the middle of a lot of shops is decorative but very little else. There is no statement made or question raised. It is weakly derivative and typical of what is wrong with much lazy modern art.

I am no longer punting ( love is such a restriction ) but like to keep involved . My contribution to this thread epitomizes what a non sexual being I have become. It makes me question the whole love scenario. 

1 person likes this

The cows in the shopping centre are copies of the originals that are in a field easily seen from a main road. The whole point of this art installation is the fact that they are fake cows in a real field .It is a statement dealing with the imposition of  man  upon a natural enviroment. Putting fake cows in the middle of a lot of shops is decorative but very little else. There is no statement made or question raised. It is weakly derivative and typical of what is wrong with much lazy modern art.

I am no longer punting ( love is such a restriction ) but like to keep involved . My contribution to this thread epitomizes what a non sexual being I have become. It makes me question the whole love scenario. 

Surely being in love should mean you are a sexual being?

The fact that the cows are in the only part where there is a live tree surrounded by concrete and shops kind of cries out "this is all thats left, where has the field gone" to me those cows there are more poignant a reminder that man bulldozers over everything than the ones in the field x

As said, haven't been for a while, but MK is still my favourite ''have it away day'' location - good parlours, easy to get to, excellent pubs, etc ;)

No confirmation that Milton Keynes village is beautiful and still extant?

Or do people just assume if I say it it must be true...

and no-one has mentioned Bletchley Park yet?

a fascinating day out.  There is the beautiful house, and exhibits about the code breaking.  and in the national computing museum, they have some old mainframes, but the star is the first ever computer, colossus (well its a rebuild, the real thing was smashed after ww2)

maybe because I think it is shut for months yet undergoing a major refurbishment that I fear may make a bit too corprorate.

It's a pity some of the untouched huts will be restored in some ways but presumably the only thing that will stop them rotting away.

I first went just after the film Enigma came out and a mock sub used in the film was sitting outside.

it was a surreal moment to see someone in a tweed jacket with leather elbow patches striding out in the grounds - sheer 1950s or earlier.

Apparently there is supposed to a hoard of gold buried somewhere in the grounds.

Someone I have twice never met has received a proposal to have a tryst in the grounds. I haven't been turned down yet...

I think its there, i have just never been.

Re bletchley park V, are you sure its closed, i had a guy popping over there the other day I think x

I think its there, i have just never been.

Re bletchley park V, are you sure its closed, i had a guy popping over there the other day I think x

Re bletchley park C, i am neither sure nor right. It says they are staying open throughout the refurb which is exactly the opposite of what I heard around the time I was originally hoping to visit the bletchley area, i think x

Milton Keynes village now goes by the even less enthralling name of Middleton, still nicer than most of MK, and with a particularly fine pub, The Swan.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&q=map+of+milton+keynes&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48764cf882238685:0x161a9df74cb97e14,Milton+Keynes&gl=uk&ei=FonfUsLlKcnH7Aa2mYDoBA&ved=0CDgQ8gEwAA

As you can see Victoria a lot of MK is still very green. There are woods, heaths, golf clubs if you play, Wavendon being a beautiful one. There is a lot to explore and definatley a lot to photograph. Go out Wavendon early in the morning and you will see the little dear that hop about all over the golf course and the garden of the  adjacent Wavendon house in the early hours and twilight hours xx

Go out Wavendon early in the morning and you will see the little dear that hop about all over the golf course and the garden of the  adjacent Wavendon house in the early hours and twilight hours xx

Unfortunately the little dear will not be Chloe herself in all probability but as a compensation of sorts you may see deer.

Wavendon is also famous for the barn where John Dankworth and Cleo Laine presented jazz-based evenings and other music too. I don't know if Cleo still does since the death of John nut I hope it is still a musical venue.

To be fair, most people on this board go to Annabellas when they want 18 holes.