wristspinner

Contacts, how times have changed

13 posts in this topic

I started this 'hobby' some 27 or so years ago. I remember then that to find a lady the options were mostly, local paper advertising and cards in shop windows, with in central London the phone booth cards. I even met one lady through Rendezvous magazine exchanging letters before getting a phone number.

Now whilst most of those are still possible the most common advertising is through the net.

In the past there seemed to be a few 'amateur' ladies who were earning extra money or something for Christmas. They were often some of the nicest, there does not seem to be those ladies about now.

I still have a prized copy of the "Ladies Directory", published by George Frederick Shaw, at 5/-, (purely as a matter of legal research, as you'll all understand) who was sent down for six months for his pains, on charges of conspiring to corrupt public morals!

[shaw v DPP, 45 Cr.App.R. 113]

I started this 'hobby' some 27 or so years ago. I remember then that to find a lady the options were mostly, local paper advertising and cards in shop windows, with in central London the phone booth cards. I even met one lady through Rendezvous magazine exchanging letters before getting a phone number.

Now whilst most of those are still possible the most common advertising is through the net.

In the past there seemed to be a few 'amateur' ladies who were earning extra money or something for Christmas. They were often some of the nicest, there does not seem to be those ladies about now.

I remember Rendezvous magazine.....

You scrutinised black and white passport-size photograhps of such awful quality that you could count the dots by naked eye, selected the ladies you might want to see (you couldn't really tell), and wrote each a letter, addressing the envelope with her reference number and enclosing an SAE. These then went to Rendezvous in a large envelope with a postal order. They then added the real addresses and forwarded the letters to the girls, who duly replied or not; some just collected the stamps, I fear.

Rendezvous must have done very well, with a rake-off at every step, selling advertising space and box numbers to the girls, charging the punters a forwarding charge for each letter and (I think) renting box numbers to those who had probems receiving letters at home.

The stone age of punting. Some things have improved these past 30 years!

I don't think I'd have punted near as much back then.

Damn you internet. Google should be banned.

You scrutinised black and white passport-size photograhps of such awful quality that you could count the dots by naked eye, selected the ladies you might want to see (you couldn't really tell), and wrote each a letter, addressing the envelope with her reference number and enclosing an SAE. These then went to Rendezvous in a large envelope with a postal order. They then added the real addresses and forwarded the letters to the girls, who duly replied or not; some just collected the stamps, I fear.

Rendezvous must have done very well, with a rake-off at every step, selling advertising space and box numbers to the girls, charging the punters a forwarding charge for each letter and (I think) renting box numbers to those who had probems receiving letters at home.

I remember it well. I used to use Accomadation addresses, pay in cash only and pick my mail up. I am sure there were other Contact Magazines but i cant recall the names.

My main way of finding WGs was local newspapers not surprisingly, punting with some crackers and running from some dragons. Rarely knowing what the lady would look like till she opened the door gave me a great sense of anticipation as well as worry.:D

Rendezvous is still around, and now very nearly the same price as the direct contact mags like Phoenix.

And why do those type of mags seem mainly to cover the midlands.

Which probably presents as many downsides as it does ups.

Given the relative ease to obtain and load photographs and fancy websites to lure and deceive even the most cautious of punter

I was just wondering how common a bad punt would have been back then and how often the lady would conform to your expectations as compared with today.

I dunno, maybe about the same.

People probably go a lot more on looks these days (although I tend to trawl the FRs 1st, so maybe that helps or does it)?

..........how often the lady would conform to your expectations as compared with today..........

The 'quality' of the photographs ensured that your expections were fairly vague, as I recall.

This is the way things were when I first started working. I only ever used a couple of the contact mags to advertise.

The good thing about it was that I hardly ever got any timewasters because the guys who were serious would give you their landline number for you to phone them for a chat and to arrange an appointment.

Believe it or not, when I retired 16 years later, I was still seeing a few guys who I originally met this way.

I remember a period well pre-internet when I loved the Phoenix, Jezebel series of contact mags.

I actually think the owner asked me where to find his new office/house when he changed locations and was visiting it for the first time.

I didn't actually see many of the women but pored over them to find a gem.

I saw one or two nice women but most of the few didn't live up to expectations in looks or service.

In reverse, I saw pictures of great girls I had already seen in parlours - and in one edition 3 of my own photos of different girls were used.

Those weren't the days...

I was just wondering how common a bad punt would have been back then and how often the lady would conform to your expectations as compared with today.

Well, expectations were not that high then but for me the frequency of really enjoyable punts was far lower as no research was possible. Now, if you are prepared to do a bit of careful research and prior communication the frequency of real disappointment is very low. I think my instincts are more accurate now as there was so little on which to base them then.