Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SlickWilly

Interesting Tv Debate On Client Criminalisation Proposals In Ireland

7 posts in this topic

Our national broadcaster in The Republic had a debate on its flagship current affairs programme, 'Primetime', last night! It was unusual for Irish TV on this topic as it was almost balanced!

It was also presented by wonderful MILF, Miriam O'Callaghan.

It focussed on The Swedish Model, the potential introduction of which in The Republic, hasn't gone away, You know!

The panel consisted of the regular TORL Anti sex work and anti sex worker brigade - Sarah Benson of Ruhama (an organisation run by the nuns who ran the Magdellan concentration camps) and Radical Feminist, Imigrant Council Of Ireland CEO, Denise Charlton, (an organisation also founded by nuns and given that many women come voluntarily to work as sex workers in Ireland and The Uk should not such an organisation be focussed on making their lives easier rather than putting them at extreme danger!. The Commonsense side included Theresa Whitikar, spokesperson for the sex worker alliance and quite a weak debater and a very knowledeable British ex sex worker. The audience included an embittered ex on street sex worker and an educated current sex worker and the contribution of the night came from Dr Derek Friedman, who is our leading STI expert and all round fantastic human being!

Worryingly all Benson and Charlton seem top have to do is pull stats out of their asses, keep mentioning trafficking and 'Purchasing Women' and throw in notions of child prostitution and their task to impress the average Joe/Josephine Soap becomes easier!

This programme is on the RTE Iplayer for 21 days at this address -

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10244938/

Which can be watched in the UK by using certain methods which I am not familiar with!

4 people like this

I thought Niki Adams was superb, didn't let the anti's get on top of her argument once. 

Sarah Benson's face was a picture.  :D

Laura great to hear from you and it's a pity that you weren't on that panel. Nicki is very good but there's still a lot of rednecks here who will not pay attention to an English accent, regardless of how relevant and knowledgeable the speaker is!

Re Sara Benson, she is a fine looking woman, but the real game here is generating a new revenue stream for ICI and Ruhama in this time of austerity (i.e. a new system of making the richest far richer at everybody else's expense)as Government funding and public donations are down. Indeed several charities have been in the news as part of a scandal (not those 2)in paying their CEOs Hundreds of Thousands in salaries and bonuses, indeed there will be a new/proper charities regulator in place by the end of next month to try and put manners on them!

This new revenue stream will be given to support sex workers who wish to 'reform' however it will end up creating soft admin positions for lackeys of these orgs and top up CEO salaries!

Laura, what's your call at the moment on the potential criminalisation of clients in the Republic and Northern Ireland?

1 person likes this

Let's blame it all on the 'minority' of men.

Err, right. :blink: A woman booked me the other week - ok it's rare but still buggers up their point a bit.

"having considered all other economic choices", I liked this very much because it's very close to the truth.

1 person likes this

Laura great to hear from you and it's a pity that you weren't on that panel. Nicki is very good but there's still a lot of rednecks here who will not pay attention to an English accent, regardless of how relevant and knowledgeable the speaker is!

Re Sara Benson, she is a fine looking woman, but the real game here is generating a new revenue stream for ICI and Ruhama in this time of austerity (i.e. a new system of making the richest far richer at everybody else's expense)as Government funding and public donations are down. Indeed several charities have been in the news as part of a scandal (not those 2)in paying their CEOs Hundreds of Thousands in salaries and bonuses, indeed there will be a new/proper charities regulator in place by the end of next month to try and put manners on them!

This new revenue stream will be given to support sex workers who wish to 'reform' however it will end up creating soft admin positions for lackeys of these orgs and top up CEO salaries!

Laura, what's your call at the moment on the potential criminalisation of clients in the Republic and Northern Ireland?

Hard to say, it's going to be tough one to call in the North but I do think Alan Shatter can see sense in the South. 

Hard to say, it's going to be tough one to call in the North but I do think Alan Shatter can see sense in the South.

Thanks for that, Laura.

I wouldn't care to call The Northern Ireland situation except that interestingly, The PSNI(Northern Ireland police), David Forde, The Justice Minister and N.I.feminists, who clearly realise that what the FundaMENTAList DUP party want in the area of moral control is almost always extremely bad for women and their rights, are opposed to Swedish Model Legislation!

In the Republic, Justice Minister, Alan Shatter has more human decency in his little finger nail than all members of the sham anti sex worker committee put together, he also is a liberal and will want to leave a liberal legacy! Mind you he could still be forced into a situation where he has no choice and criminalisation in N.I.wouldn't help!

Also the process has dragged on a bit, which could be a good sign!

1 person likes this

Thanks for that, Laura.

I wouldn't care to call The Northern Ireland situation except that interestingly, The PSNI(Northern Ireland police), David Forde, The Justice Minister and N.I.feminists, who clearly realise that what the FundaMENTAList DUP party want in the area of moral control is almost always extremely bad for women and their rights, are opposed to Swedish Model Legislation!

In the Republic, Justice Minister, Alan Shatter has more human decency in his little finger nail than all members of the sham anti sex worker committee put together, he also is a liberal and will want to leave a liberal legacy! Mind you he could still be forced into a situation where he has no choice and criminalisation in N.I.wouldn't help!

Also the process has dragged on a bit, which could be a good sign!

Fingers crossed on both counts.

I'm in the Sunday Life in Belfast tomorrow condemning the DUP, which ought to win me new friends.  ;)

I agree with you on Alan Shatter, he's a good guy but he's under enormous pressure from Ruhama and TORL, both powerful groups.

All we can do is keep campaigning as hard as we can.