Lessingham

Tube Strike

43 posts in this topic

Luckily I have booked an appointment next week on a non strike day. But how are people managing, are you going around by bus or not punting on strike days? Also, I suspect significant others may be working from home to put dampners on the matter

I bet they are all following the advice from Norman Tebbit and !getting on their bikes"!! :)

Probably punt for a little longer have excuse for the other half now having to wait for buses lol

I wouldn't worry too much, Bob Crapp has never stopped London before and never will - he just costs his followers, baa (and unfortunate others) 4 days pay! ;)

Just dug out an old skateboard from the shed. Spirit of the Blitz never dies.

TFL is good to work out alternatives, plus healthy walk info as well, maybe we should thank Bob Crapp for the exercise opportunity and the season ticket refunds we will get!

I shall get a punt in one the day of the tube strike in solidarity with the tube workers :)

1 person likes this

Is there a tube strike on Feb 13th ?

As of now, yes.

I will be boycotting public transport and just driving myself around town.

Thurs 13th is scheduled as a strike day, unless of course there's some settlement before then.

TfL were hoping to keep a vital section of the Bakerloo running for punting purposes, but as of this morning they seem to have failed in that.

A few lines running today - Overground, most of Northern & Victoria - but already with serious overcrowding.

Good luck to one and all. To all punters stranded in brothels and boudoirs, keep your fluids up! !!

Good luck to one and all. To all punters stranded in brothels and boudoirs, keep your fluids up! !!

That's it, keep a stiff upper lip(?) ;)

Thurs 13th is scheduled as a strike day, unless of course there's some settlement before then.

TfL were hoping to keep a vital section of the Bakerloo running for punting purposes, but as of this morning they seem to have failed in that.

A few lines running today - Overground, most of Northern & Victoria - but already with serious overcrowding.

SORT IT OUT BORIS !!!

1 person likes this

SORT IT OUT BORIS !!!

Its a stupid dispute

tfl say no-one will be made redundant unless they want to be.

most of the staff will be moved to doing customer facing stuff but not sat behind a window.

i usually buy tickets in the machines anyway -its quicker.

crow should grow up

Its a stupid dispute

tfl say no-one will be made redundant unless they want to be.

most of the staff will be moved to doing customer facing stuff but not sat behind a window.

i usually buy tickets in the machines anyway -its quicker.

crow should grow up

Isn't he was on holiday somewhere warm?

That's just management bullshit about nobody being made redundant. What they say is they "aren't seeking to make any compulsory redundancies", which is definitely NOT the same as there "won't" be any!! What will happen when they don't get the number of voluntary redundancies they need............doesn't take much to work out.

1 person likes this

That's just management bullshit about nobody being made redundant. What they say is they "aren't seeking to make any compulsory redundancies", which is definitely NOT the same as there "won't" be any!! What will happen when they don't get the number of voluntary redundancies they need............doesn't take much to work out.

half have already gone for voluntary redundancy.

All over the country people have to change their jobs as technology moves on.

1 person likes this

This thread has given me an idea for a domination scenario. A really arsey female tube worker on a ticket barrier. Oooh...

Something like 5% of transactions done in tube stations are done through a counter, they're useless. As we move more and more into a nanny state, people expect their jobs to be protected even when they're unnecessary.

Edited by Sekine
1 person likes this

Technology is only good when it works ;) The rest of the time it's useless!!

The idea of "I don't use it therefore it's not needed" is extremely narrow minded!!

You're right, lets all give up our cars and go back to horse drawn carriages. We can't expect cars to work all the time, and despite carriage drivers not being needed right now, they may be one day.

I for one have signed up for training to pick potatoes rather than rely on tractors and risk them not working.

Edited by Sekine

If I remember right from reports a few months ago, the idea was to keep ticket offices at some of the major stations and take them down in lots of stations where they're hardly used.

Aside from the fundamental service, which is trains running reliably and frequently, (which is really not up to the mark on the Tube though it has improved a lot in recent years after the chaos before the Olympics), everything else about it is superior to similar transport systems I've experienced all over the world, especially taking into account the network's age - the biggest being the reach of the network, excellent lighting in stations and on trains which has a significant effect on the psychology of users with regard to safety, and comprehensive signage. It's probably the easiest transport system to figure your way around on your own if you're starting from scratch.

On the issue of staff, I always get the feeling it's easy to find staff members when required, which is great, but that there are probably more than the system could operate with at major stations, so doesn't seem like 950 jobs over time is a big deal, especially if half that number want voluntary redundancy anyway, and several more will presumably retire over the coming months and years.

The obvious comparison is New York, a similarly old system - where ironically it's the other way around. Due to the dual track system it can run all day and night and is quite reliable but it's horribly confusing for people unfamiliar with the system, the stations are dirty and dinghy, many of the trains used to look awful (though this has improved since), there weren't even indicators saying how far away the next train was in several stations until 2-3 years ago!

The biggest issue that never seems to get highlighted with 'job cuts' is that often it doesn't mean that people will get fired - just that for certain positions when people retire they won't be replaced and for other positions, people will get transferred. I agree with the nanny state statement - complaining because you now have to travel further away to do your work or have to do a different job can be ok, but you can't expect to spend your entire career in a job doing exactly the work that you'd like to do rather than what makes sense given changing times.

If you have ever tried to travel on the metro in a foreign country you will see why manned ticket offices are so valuable. I would have got lost, or committed some fare dodging crime a dozen or more times in places where I don't speak the language (i.e every where except France and the UK/USA).

1 person likes this