Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lancelot

Regular Punt Opportunity Cruelly Dashed

37 posts in this topic

Here is a riddle.

Why would an old woman falling permanently ill mean I no longer have a 3-4 hour free slot each week in which to punt?

For the last 2 years I have been driving my o/h down to a location near London to visit an elderly woman who is a friend of the family. I would drop her off a nd collect her in several hours time. This was a weekly thing.

I met some lovely ladies in that time - not every week - maybe 1 week in 4 or 5 - but still it was very welcome to know I had that opportunity.

All that came to an end after the new year. As she would not answer her phone for 2 days we got worried and called the police. They broke in and found her flat out. She is now in the ICU with pancreatic and kidney problems (I was wondering how long her health would hold out as she never excercises, smokes and never eats fruit and veg). She will probably survive but will have to go and live with her daughter far far away and too far for us to visit.

So that's an end to that! I have already notified a regulat there as I will probably never see her again.

Vety very sad.

I wonder if any of you have had a regular slot snatched away ike that.

What it means for me is that mu punting chances will be rarer - and it means when I do get them I will probably not have the luxury of passing them up knowing I will have that regular 3 hour slot near London.

I wondered if the 'very very sad' was about your friend or your loss of punting opportunities! :-)

Life moves on, opportunities change. You will have to adapt and find another way?

I wondered if the 'very very sad' was about your friend or your loss of punting opportunities! :-)

Life moves on, opportunities change. You will have to adapt and find another way?

A bit of both - I feel for the old dear and seeing her in hospital surrounded by life support equipment who would not - but I also rue my loss of freedom.

Take up a time-consuming hobby, that you can use as an alibi. Golf, bird watching, or anything that involves spending time at the library are all good...   ;)

Take up a time-consuming hobby, that you can use as an alibi. Golf, bird watching, or anything that involves spending time at the library are all good...   ;)

I am kept on a leish

I am kept on a leish

WTF! Then release the catch on the leash and develop a hobby. Would you be divorced for having a hobby to yourself?

I am kept on a leish

Lance I am surprised.

You seem such a strong character on here............ yet confess you are chained to er indoors.

Some of my clients tell me they have to account for all their movements to their other halves.

............. in this day and age too!  Uschi had a point............. and one which I sometimes advise......... go and join the library.... it gives a great opportunity to be out of the house for a couple of hours............. they have some great books too.   ;)

Give me the single life any day!

Here is a riddle.

Why would an old woman falling permanently ill mean I no longer have a 3-4 hour free slot each week in which to punt?

For the last 2 years I have been driving my o/h down to a location near London to visit an elderly woman who is a friend of the family. I would drop her off a nd collect her in several hours time. This was a weekly thing.

I met some lovely ladies in that time - not every week - maybe 1 week in 4 or 5 - but still it was very welcome to know I had that opportunity.

All that came to an end after the new year. As she would not answer her phone for 2 days we got worried and called the police. They broke in and found her flat out. She is now in the ICU with pancreatic and kidney problems (I was wondering how long her health would hold out as she never excercises, smokes and never eats fruit and veg). She will probably survive but will have to go and live with her daughter far far away and too far for us to visit.

So that's an end to that! I have already notified a regulat there as I will probably never see her again.

Vety very sad.

I wonder if any of you have had a regular slot snatched away ike that.

What it means for me is that mu punting chances will be rarer - and it means when I do get them I will probably not have the luxury of passing them up knowing I will have that regular 3 hour slot near London.

Firstly i hope the old lady recovers. Secondly i have never been in your position as i wouldnt accept being under the thumb of a partner. I have always had space to get away, Golf being a very good excuse for me over the years.

I am kept on a leish

Ah, pet play..... Hope she also has the whip that goes with the leash. :D  But seriously, you can't be expected to never again develop interests other than the ones you have now? How about inventing exercise on doctor's orders? Yoga, joining the Ramblers etc., anything that helps reclaim a bit of freedom to be yourself?

1 person likes this

Golf being a very good excuse for me over the years.

No lies either, 'Just off to play around Darling.'

1 person likes this

No lies either, 'Just off to play around Darling.'

Indeed, i can play a round with a buggy in under 2 hours but say it took 4 hours, i dont say what course i am playing at as it could be one of a handful and i dont need to involve a mate in my lies as i can always find a playing partner at the courses where i have met many guys over the years. Unless there is lightning i can even say i was at the driving range in bad weather.

Don't know your age but would U3A be a possibility?

Failing that follow a football/rugby team, join a walking club, start golf etc. There must be something you can find to get you out of the house for an hour or two every 3/4 weeks.

Are you a man or a mouse? Squeak up!!

Are you a man or a mouse? Squeak up!!

That's a new thread altogether. How many husbands do what the voices in their wives' heads tell them to do.... :eek:

Anything for a peaceful co-existence.

I know I know - she has a hold over me and I can't do anything about it - at least not just yet. I spend most of my time thinking about how I let this happen - and the other half thinking about the distant future when I can pick up where I left off.

I know I know - she has a hold over me and I can't do anything about it - at least not just yet. I spend most of my time thinking about how I let this happen - and the other half thinking about the distant future when I can pick up where I left off.

Its easy.. you do it like this "Im just popping out for a couple of  hours, need some me time, love you"….slam door 

On return "hey darling, saw this and thought of you whilst out on my wander" hand her present/flowers/sexy knickers

Edited by Chloe Kisses

Its easy.. you do it like this "Im just popping out for a couple of  hours, need some me time, love you"….slam door 

On return "hey darling, saw this and thought of you whilst out on my wander" hand her present/flowers/sexy knickers

ha ha ha - if only - I would have a dozen bullets in my back before I was out of the drive

ha ha ha - if only - I would have a dozen bullets in my back before I was out of the drive

From experience…you are only on a leash as long as you allow yourself to be. x

2 people like this

Where there's a will, there's a way!

Luck favours the brave! To coin a phrase or two...i have every confidence in you finding a way to punt out of this dilemma...goodluck!!!

Edited by Hero

Just a thought. Is there anything you could persuade / fool / encourage the other half to get interested in?  With a regular time slot, of course.

Bridge sessions, a choir, dog training, U3A. 

Zumba, meals on wheels, some sort of do-gooding even.

The Women's Institute is having a bit of a revival, I gather.

Just a thought. Is there anything you could persuade / fool / encourage the other half to get interested in?  With a regular time slot, of course.

Bridge sessions, a choir, dog training, U3A. 

Zumba, meals on wheels, some sort of do-gooding even.

The Women's Institute is having a bit of a revival, I gather.

In a couple of years she will, or should be (unless something major scuppers that plan)- tied up doing a post grad course in London. I will bide my time till then and take any chances I get.

The worst that has happened to me is that my eldest daughter has a professional career and it necessitates her working in close proximity to me from time to time for periods of between 3 and 6 weeks so during that time she stays with me.  During that time I  (perhaps psycologically) find it difficult to escape for a punt on the spur of the moment as I normally would do.  

Getting showered, shaved and changed on an evening would arouse her suspicions as to who I would be meeting (not that it matters) but I'd hate the truth to come out that I was actually going for a gratuitous shag with someone quite possibly younger than her....  :eek:

Does your wife have any interests? Can you point her in the direction to developing them so they take up more time and give you some free time.

The worst that has happened to me is that my eldest daughter has a professional career and it necessitates her working in close proximity to me from time to time for periods of between 3 and 6 weeks so during that time she stays with me.  During that time I  (perhaps psycologically) find it difficult to escape for a punt on the spur of the moment as I normally would do.  

Getting showered, shaved and changed on an evening would arouse her suspicions as to who I would be meeting (not that it matters) but I'd hate the truth to come out that I was actually going for a gratuitous shag with someone quite possibly younger than her....  :eek:

As its your daughter can't you just tell her you have a date?