JKay

Bt Wifi....

11 posts in this topic

Over the last few months I have been away a lot from home so relying on my free BT WiFi, but every time I book into a hotel that offers their own WiFi it seems to wipe out BT, Free hotel WiFi is great but not when you want to visit PN and stuff.

if you are windoze look bottom right by the time and find an icon that looks like a bar graph. if u put your mouse over it it will tell you what network you are on.

click it and you should see all the networks it has found.   the inverted commas icon top right allows you to refresh it.

you should be able to select a network you want to connect to.

...but in every hotel it shows listed only the hotel flavoured wifi, not even out of range flavours, perhaps its just a Travelodge scam to get you to hand over a tenner a day.

How will a VPN help if the only signal is Travelodge?

Thistle hotels have BT Wifi in their rooms, free to BT customers who can use their home log in details.

I get really naffed off when travelling, got a mobile dongle but can I ever get a decent signal?No. I can also access BT hotspots but once again, Thistle aside, never can get a decent signal in hotels. Often the hotel wifi is also rubbish. I paid £30 in various network charges over a period of 24 hours and the best was BT phone at Euston station, remainder of the time I was sitting waiting for a service that was as slow as, if not slower than dial-up.

Funny how these services always give just enough connectivity for you to put payment through,then get worse from there on in.

Why is the UK so bad at this?

Thistle hotels have BT Wifi in their rooms, free to BT customers who can use their home log in details.

I get really naffed off when travelling, got a mobile dongle but can I ever get a decent signal?No. I can also access BT hotspots but once again, Thistle aside, never can get a decent signal in hotels. Often the hotel wifi is also rubbish. I paid £30 in various network charges over a period of 24 hours and the best was BT phone at Euston station, remainder of the time I was sitting waiting for a service that was as slow as, if not slower than dial-up.

Funny how these services always give just enough connectivity for you to put payment through,then get worse from there on in.

In my recent experience USA, Australia and Singapore are no better. I hope that makes you feel a bit better.

In my recent experience USA, Australia and Singapore are no better. I hope that makes you feel a bit better.

Singapore was fab, strong 3G signal throughout the underground system meant I could surf on the phone very well, and good service for laptop in the hotel. Friend I was travelling with did 3 hours a day online working from the room doing work running their business, requiring file uploading, accessing special software etc. Perhaps you were in a different hotel or we had your bandwidth :D  :P

Edited by Strawberry

Singapore was fab, strong 3G signal throughout the underground system meant I could surf on the phone very well, and good service for laptop in the hotel. Friend I was travelling with did 3 hours a day online working from the room doing work running their business, requiring file uploading, accessing special software etc. Perhaps you were in a different hotel or we had your bandwidth :D  :P

I bet you stole my band width you naughty lady! :o  ;)

How will a VPN help if the only signal is Travelodge?

Log onto Travelodge wifi, then invoke the VPN connection.  All the hotel can see is your connection to your VPN, not the sites you browse.

Or you can use 3g or 4g.  

Edited by WhilstNeroplays

If you are using a mobile dongle connected to a laptop then a 3 to 5m USB booster extension cable can improve the signal. You plug into the laptop and acts like a big aerial. I had weak 1 bar signal connected cable and now 3 bar good signal.