Carnival

Petition To Theresa May For More Protection For Sex Workers

12 posts in this topic

I thought this was a petition on change.org worth supporting.

=========================================================================

"Police hunt man after prostitute murdered in London". The headline in this week's newspapers brought it all back to me. My daughter Bonnie was just 24 years-old when she was killed.

Bonnie’s killer often visited prostitutes in London. He targeted vulnerable women. Many of the women were frightened of him, he’d been rough and they’d stopped going to his flat. But they didn't report him. If they reported crimes they risked being arrested themselves for soliciting.

I believe if the women had reported their fears to the police Bonnie may still be alive. My daughter faced many challenges in her life, but she was my daughter and she was also a mother. She deserved to be kept safe, all women do. That's why I've started this campaign to change the way police services in UK protect vulnerable women in the sex trade.

Police in Merseyside have already changed the way they protect sex workers. They use intermediaries to encourage women to report the crimes and build up trust. And instead of arresting women in the sex trade for soliciting when they report crimes, the police prioritise protecting the women as victims of crime. It's working, the number of convictions against men who have been violent to sex workers has risen.

If the Merseyside model was in operation in London, Bonnie's killer might have been reported to the police before and I believe she would be alive today.

It is too late for Bonnie but we can save other women. Please support my campaign for the Merseyside model to be rolled out across the UK.

Thank you,

Jackie

PS. On Saturday The Independent wrote about the campaign.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/jack-the-ripper-copycat-murders-spark-call-for-sex-worker-protection-9100294.html

Please read and then sign the petition. https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/rt-hon-mrs-theresa-may-mp-make-the-merseyside-hate-crime-model-of-policing-prostitution-law-uk-wide

1 person likes this

Have done so, and would encourage all member or visitors to this site to do the same.

Whilst I agree with this I am very concerned that the antis may use this as fuel to their fire to criminalise men.

Whilst I agree with this I am very concerned that the antis may use this as fuel to their fire to criminalise men.

Doesn't make sense though does it Strawberry. By that logic the antis should agree that we should try to prevent people using taxis by criminalising people who use them, because sometimes a taxi driver gets attacked or murdered by a passenger. 

Doesn't make sense though does it Strawberry. By that logic the antis should agree that we should try to prevent people using taxis by criminalising people who use them, because sometimes a taxi driver gets attacked or murdered by a passenger. 

No it doesn't make sense but that is the line they are using.

I hope that jumping this up to the top of the page will prompt more people to sign the petition.

It is strange how I haven't seen a single anti say anything in support of the Merseyside model or the Ugly mugs scheme.

Or by the same logic we should criminalize marriage because of all the domestic violence and murders that take within marriage. Or we could pass a "Nordic model" version and just criminalize the ones who propose marriage (ie the men).

1 person likes this

It is strange how I haven't seen a single anti say anything in support of the Merseyside model or the Ugly mugs scheme.

Or by the same logic we should criminalize marriage because of all the domestic violence and murders that take within marriage. Or we could pass a "Nordic model" version and just criminalize the ones who propose marriage (ie the men).

Thats because the antis are not out to support safety for working girls, they dont care a fig for working girls of any sort,  they are out to abolish the working ability of girls by criminalising their clients. I have said time and time again…the antis do not care about the girls. They do not care about the trafficked girls. Thats simply a bandwagon to grab peoples attention. Their real agenda is to close down the prostitution business altogether. If all trafficking were proven to be abolished do you think the antis would stop? No…they would simply latch onto another way to try to abolish the industry 

Edited by Chloe Kisses
3 people like this

Thats because the antis are not out to support safety for working girls, they dont care a fig for working girls of any sort,  they are out to abolish the working ability of girls by criminalising their clients. I have said time and time again…the antis do not care about the girls. They do not care about the trafficked girls. Thats simply a bandwagon to grab peoples attention. Their real agenda is to close down the prostitution business altogether. If all trafficking were proven to be abolished do you think the antis would stop? No…they would simply latch onto another way to try to abolish the industry 

This is the real problem.They will only see things their way.If they see an article that saya a wg was attacked or killed they will never accept the argument that if she was working with other people it might not have happened,they will always argue that if she wasn't working in the first place it never would have happened as she wouldnt have been around men whos only pleasure is to be violent towards women.(been reading too much of their cobblers recently)

I hope that jumping this up to the top of the page will prompt more people to sign the petition.

Well done. I had missed this thread previously, and I've signed it as a result of your post.