Malmostoso

A Sub-Forum For Newcomers

13 posts in this topic

Recently, we have had some newcomers either ask for advice before their first booking or for feedback after it. I don't know whether this is a recurring issue. If so, then I suggest creating a sub-forum for this kind of requests, to make it easier for newcomers to find about other people's experiences.

Thank you for your attention.

1 person likes this

We already have a request for info section.

Not sure if what you suggest would work.

How long is a newbie still a newbie?

Other forums have a "beginners" section ..... For punting it should be for that first punt only.

1 person likes this

I reckon a newbie is a newbie for as long as they feel like a newbie.  Once they become more comfortable with the whole punting thing then they would cease to be a newbie.  But for some people that will take longer than for others.

I would say that a newbie is a newbie during his very first meetings.  Also, everybody could be a newbie again when he switches environment.  For instance, after my first visit to a parlour, after having met only indies, I realized that I had been a newbie in many areas.

Edited by Malmostoso

There is already a Newbie thread for newbies to say hello. I see your idea but I dont see the point unless newbies were not allowed to post on the main forum..otherwise it negates the whole point of there being a newbie sub forum. 

1 person likes this

Surely if there was a sub-forum for newbies, most experienced punters and WGs would not spend much time there. It would end up being mainly populated by newbies asking each other questions they couldn't answer. Imho, it's much better for newbies to ask there questions on the main forums. That way they are likely to get an answer from someone who has a bit of experience.

1 person likes this

Other forums have a "beginners" section ..... For punting it should be for that first punt only.

I disagree actually. I think there possibly should be a sub forum for newbies. I also think they shouldnt be able to send pms till they have proven to be a real posters here without strange agendas x

Are we defining newbie as new to punting or new to the forum?  I’m with Chloe and Kantos on this.  It seems like overkill to me. 

Most newbs will want to begin asking for opinions from experienced forum members displaying a substantial punting history.  A newbie forum solely for their use until they’d reached an agreed post count, like off-topic, would exclude those who only want to ask a question and don’t have much else to contribute.

Would a sub forum for newcomers still mean that my posts would need moderator approval?  How many posts do I need to make before this condition is relaxed?

Would a sub forum for newcomers still mean that my posts would need moderator approval?  How many posts do I need to make before this condition is relaxed?

20 plus posts is normal but posts that lack meaningful content will just extent this figure.

Kantos Kan's post re-empts what I was going to say - the blind advising the blind really.

Is a newbie new to punting or new to posting?

i think all solved if newbies made welcome on the main forums rather than have some people jump down their throats because they ask a question already asked 17 years ago.

An FAQ section could of course become a wonderful source of information if it were possible for someone to be appointed to decide which should stick and which have a sell by date.

1 person likes this