Strawberry

Pm Conversations

50 posts in this topic

Following an incident last night which made it look as if PM conversations can be shared with whomever you add in, can someone please explain how this happens and how I can prevent anyone receiving a PM from me from doing something similar?

If anyone wants to know what I'm referring to a member invited others into his 'PM' conversation, I clicked on the invite not knowing what it was and found I could see a chain of the entire exchange they'd had from days before.

I had noticed when the forum software changed that there's a list of 'new' messages, and another list of 'conversations'. I have never understood the difference or relevance but would like to know what it's all about NOW.

Following an incident last night which made it look as if PM conversations can be shared with whomever you add in, can someone please explain how this happens and how I can prevent anyone receiving a PM from me from doing something similar?

If anyone wants to know what I'm referring to a member invited others into his 'PM' conversation, I clicked on the invite not knowing what it was and found I could see a chain of the entire exchange they'd had from days before.

I had noticed when the forum software changed that there's a list of 'new' messages, and another list of 'conversations'. I have never understood the difference or relevance but would like to know what it's all about NOW.

So would I !!

I also received a stream of emails containing these personal messages from one to another... none of which had anything to do with me.

Major glitch going on there.

Explanation now received.  Thank you.

Strawberry, PMs are never guaranteed to be truly private. They can always be forwarded on to another 3rd party by the recipient. The feature on the pnet forum software to invite others to joing the conversation is simply a sophisticated and transparent way to do this. I am unsure if it can be prevented.

The PM system is a trust system. Occasionally people will betray that trust.

1 person likes this

Strawberry, PMs are never guaranteed to be truly private. They can always be forwarded on to another 3rd party by the recipient. The feature on the pnet forum software to invite others to joing the conversation is simply a sophisticated and transparent way to do this. I am unsure if it can be prevented.

The PM system is a trust system. Occasionally people will betray that trust.

I am not comfortable with this. I treat PMs as private and send information I expect not to be shared. One of the things that makes me squirm is posts referirng to the contents of PMs.

Now I know this I am going to either censor my PMs (which'll probably mean I don't use them as it'll only be info I am happy posting out on the forum), or turn the PM option off.

The invite system has always been in place to invite others into the conversation as far as Im aware. When you get a pm it should show you though who else is included in the conversation so you can chose not to join in. Of course you cannot stop someone then inviting others into the conversation once your pm is already sent to someone x

I am not comfortable with this. I treat PMs as private and send information I expect not to be shared. One of the things that makes me squirm is posts referirng to the contents of PMs.

Now I know this I am going to either censor my PMs (which'll probably mean I don't use them as it'll only be info I am happy posting out on the forum), or turn the PM option off.

Bottom line;

If it is on a computer, on a computer connected to the Internet or on the Internet, it is neither private or secure and you should always be treated as such.  As was revealed last week, it is possible to access someones Webcam, activate it and then spy on them from their own computer.

At the moment the software allows you to invite up to 99 members to the conversation.. As you saw last night, this was done in an unacceptable way. Will discuss with Galahad if if can be reduced so nobody else can be invited to a conversation apart from the moderators.

At the moment the software allows you to invite up to 99 members to the conversation.. As you saw last night, this was done in an unacceptable way. Will discuss with Galahad if if can be reduced so nobody else can be invited to a conversation apart from the moderators.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Its clearly open to abuse by those of a mind to do so x

Sometimes I have mentioned on the board having seeing a lady and had a PM asking for more information which I have given and then another PM from someone else asking about the same person.  The simplest thing to do in that case is invite the second PMer on to the first conversation rather than having to repeat myself.  So I do think this function can be a useful one.

I see absolutely no need for anyone to be invited to view a private conversation, and most certainly not without the consent of those involved.

It defeats the whole point of 'private' message :eek:

Just goes to show, if you want to keep things private, keep it away from forums. Use your email ads instead.

I see absolutely no need for anyone to be invited to view a private conversation, and most certainly not without the consent of those involved.

Just goes to show, if you want to keep things private, keep it away from forums. Use your email ads instead.

I have no issue with mods being able to be invited into pm if there is a severe problem. The innocent party has nothing to worry about do they. 

people can copy and paste emails…NOT kind of exchange is 100% guaranteed to be able to be kept totally private…not even verbal.

1 person likes this

I have no issue with mods being able to be invited into pm if there is a severe problem. The innocent party has nothing to worry about do they. 

People should be able to solve their own problems without having to involve 3rd parties. The block function is an excellent tool to use.

Can't the mods see pm's without being invited to the convo anyway?

People should be able to solve their own problems without having to involve 3rd parties. The block function is an excellent tool to use.

No, we cannot.

That is why a member from here once phoned me to get my side of a story that was flying around by PM. My respect for that member sky rocketed as a result, he wanted to get it from the horses mouth, no mistaken meanings. 

Sometimes male members make contact by PM (no email or other method) here asking quite specific questions, some wanting to know hotel details for tours or incall locations. I've always been a bit iffy re the security of PMs but had decided I was just being daft - until last night that is. I've now emptied my PM box and disabled that facility on my profile.

Perhaps some adaption like if one person invites another into an ongoing conversation then that invitation needs to be confirmed by everyone currently in the conversation before the invited member can read what has already been PMed would resolve the problems and objections without removing the useful function.

2 people like this

No, we cannot.

Thank you for putting that rumour to rest :D

is this private messages, like emails within the forum software, or private conversations in the chat room. or people joining a new room in chat?

is this private messages, like emails within the forum software, or private conversations in the chat room. or people joining a new room in chat?

It's PMs in the forum software - not the chat room.

It's PMs in the forum software - not the chat room.

thanks for making clearer

No they can't see them without an invite.

Your first comment applies only to sane and reasonable people. Sometimes accusations are thrown in pm which need to be sorted out before they go further. In that situation the mods could be invited in. I had to do so on one occasion upon request and I was happy to comply. When this happens the mods cannot see your other messages, only the message thread in question.

That is why a member from here once phoned me to get my side of a story that was flying around by PM. My respect for that member sky rocketed as a result, he wanted to get it from the horses mouth, no mistaken meanings. 

Sometimes male members make contact by PM (no email or other method) here asking quite specific questions, some wanting to know hotel details for tours or incall locations. I've always been a bit iffy re the security of PMs but had decided I was just being daft - until last night that is. I've now emptied my PM box and disabled that facility on my profile.

Its good to have a clear out anyway. Just because someone deletes their messages though on THEIR profile it doesnt delete the messages on the other end. The person they were sent too still can read them. I have received messages in the past and when I went to reply I couldnt as it said that the sender had deleted the message 

The username(Who I have never correseponded with before) to who invited me into this conversation (which I missed even though I was online and not here physically) has outed the first name of a punter according to my emails and granted I only received 4 but it told me of one punters name I did not know. So the person sending out the invites has given me the Christian name of one punter.  Trust the person who sent out this invite.. never! I would never trust this person with anything as they have proven to be untrustworthy! PM’s are private messages.. and should remain so! This username inviting people into private conversations is a person who can not be trusted ever! Remember this.. people do have an outside agenda against this forum! 

1 person likes this