Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SlickWilly

A Neat Summary Of Why The Swedish Model Is Wrong

7 posts in this topic

From The Huffington Post, a list of reasons why the insane Swedish Model, which is of course, despite appearances much more Anti Sex Worker than Anti Client, is actually very insane indeed!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/suzi-godson/swedish-prostitution-laws_b_4911172.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

This piece of legislation is so dangerous, the list is not exhaustative!

1 person likes this

I think the most poignant paragraph is no. 10

Less than 50 years ago you could end up in prision for a homosexual act - now we have gay marriage.

2 people like this

Good point Bert:

Paragraph 10 of the article in full :"Sex work challenges current social and cultural norms in the same way that homosexuality, illegitimacy, anal sex and even masturbation once did. We changed the way we thought about those issues and its about time that we changed the way we think about sex work too."

You could add a few others to that list

e.g.

Suicide - illegal at one time. Not to be encouraged, but you're not breaking the law and getting fined if you really want to do this to yourself and fail.

Abortion - not a choice you'd like, but at one time it was so risky you could die, but desperate pregnant women still took chances with 'back-street' practitioners.

Race - contentious, but you can't judge someone by skin colour and once you could and could do so acceptably

Slavery - the real kind. A cultural and societal norm in works like the Bible. Now we ask 'wtf were they thinking?'

Will we one day get to a point where the law permits sexy workers to share premises in almost all advanced economies, rather than a handful as now. I think we will.

2 people like this

Often you don't know what to believe if sides in a debate just want to trade research facts.

However, I do think the question has to be placed with a greater overview of what type of society you want to create. I do think the internet, etc is rapidly changes many values in society, for better and for worse. Do we want to be a country that ships in or attracts people to work in adult industry on solely that economic basis? I do also think the attitudes of younger men and women have to be considered and we need to look at their interactions and thoughts.

nntt - what all due respect as you are a more prolific contributor to this forum.

Often you don't know what to believe if sides in a debate just want to trade research facts.

Agreed.

However, I do think the question has to be placed with a greater overview of what type of society you want to create.

I don't think anyone here wants to create any type of society in particular. This is a punting forum.

I do think the internet, etc is rapidly changes many values in society, for better and for worse. 

Agreed.

Do we want to be a country that ships in or attracts people to work in adult industry on solely that economic basis?

Why not? Isn't it the same in other industries?

I do also think the attitudes of younger men and women have to be considered and we need to look at their interactions and thoughts.

I think that the 'attitudes of younger men and women' are at least as diverse as the attitudes of older men and women and I certainly don't feel the need to look at either group's interactions and thoughts.

I just wanted to come back on the final two points.

When I say;

Do we want to be a country that ships in or attracts people to work in adult industry on solely that economic basis?

That is why I talk about the society we want to create by law. This is not a comment on x or z type of work, but my point simply is I don't think we should (or continue) to form a society entirely on a low wage, high consumer demand basis. Equally, I think there si a thin line between freedom of movement of labour and trafficking in this regard.

My final point has really been the decisive factor in my thinking of policy options.

I personally feel the attitudes of younger people are most relevant, as they will set the society of the future. Opposite to the views on Bond the diversity in that age range to me seems less and overall the respect for women is much reduced and the sexual pressure and abuse on women especially online much increased. You only have to witness the abuse on twitter women get or the massive concerns around "sexting" in the younger age group. Of course these issues have educational elements, but I get the underlying sense there is a long way to go for gener equality especially in this area and law has a role in sending a message of what the gender roles should and shouldn't be and how they could be defined.